Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Jan 19, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,066 of 1,216
  Hi,

I'm going to pull the trigger and order an HRT microstreamer tomorrow to replace my HRT MSII so I can have a dedicated headphone output port that I can use with my relatively new ATH-M50X.

I have two questions I hope somebody in this thread can answer:

1. Is the microstreamer's performance better or at least on par in terms of sound quality, distortion, noise and USB isolation with the MSII when used as a DAC for my speaker system via line-out port or is the microstreamer more optimized for headphone listening only?

My system:
JRMC18
NAD C326BEE
KEF LS50
SVS SB12 NSD

2. If I wanted to just listen to headphones, can I plug in my M50X to use the headphone output port of the DAC while the line-out port is permanently connected to the integrated amplifier at the same time without any detrimental effects or should I only use one output port at a time?

Thanks.

I can't answer your 1st question bu tI can tell you that the Microstreamer only plays through one output at a time.  Also, the line out is slightly better sounding to my ears, not surprising that it is direct from the DAC.  For my harder to drive headphones, I mostly use HRT line out>Cayin C5>headphones but the headphone out itself is good enough to drive most cans really well anyway, I just imagine the line out via a good external amp might get you the best sound quality.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #1,067 of 1,216
I just got my microstreamer. I'll just answer the questions I posted earlier for the benefit of others although YMMV since my observations may only apply to my own personal experience and listening setup.

1. Is the microstreamer's performance better or at least on par in terms of sound quality, distortion, noise and USB isolation with the MSII when used as a DAC for my speaker system via line-out port or is the microstreamer more optimized for headphone listening only?

I have both DACs hooked up to my integrated so I can just switch sources for A-B testing at the same volume setting.

My initial impression is that the microstreamer sounds smoother, laid-back and a bit heavier in the mids. The MSII exhibits more clarity, dynamics and "three dimensional" effect. I did find that different recordings sounded better with one or the other. In the end, I personally preferred the MSII for the speakers so I'll keep that as a dedicated DAC for that purpose.

As for the Microstreamer and the Audio Technica ATH-M50X,

......wow.....

I'm just floored at how good this combination sounds. I'm at a loss of words on how to describe it. To be honest, I'm still reeling from shock at what I just experienced. Putting it into context, the microstreamer is an absolute revelation after having been using the on-board sound of my motherboard  for headphone listening all this time.

2. If I wanted to just listen to headphones, can I plug in my M50X to use the headphone output port of the DAC while the line-out port is permanently connected to the integrated amplifier at the same time without any detrimental effects or should I only use one output port at a time?

Turns out, I can do just that. As to whether there would be negative effects in doing so, I don't think there are any.

My speakers and headphones can actually output music from the microstreamer at the same time but only the headphone out is affected by the system volume control.

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #1,070 of 1,216
  I just got my microstreamer. I'll just answer the questions I posted earlier for the benefit of others although YMMV since my observations may only apply to my own personal experience and listening setup.

I have both DACs hooked up to my integrated so I can just switch sources for A-B testing at the same volume setting.

My initial impression is that the microstreamer sounds smoother, laid-back and a bit heavier in the mids. The MSII exhibits more clarity, dynamics and "three dimensional" effect. I did find that different recordings sounded better with one or the other. In the end, I personally preferred the MSII for the speakers so I'll keep that as a dedicated DAC for that purpose.

......wow.....

I'm just floored at how good this combination sounds. I'm at a loss of words on how to describe it. To be honest, I'm still reeling from shock at what I just experienced. Putting it into context, the microstreamer is an absolute revelation after having been using the on-board sound of my motherboard  for headphone listening all this time.

Turns out, I can do just that. As to whether there would be negative effects in doing so, I don't think there are any.

My speakers and headphones can actually output music from the microstreamer at the same time but only the headphone out is affected by the system volume control.

......wow.....

i LOVE this combo too!!

and the microStreamer is such an amazing lil' amp/DAC right? It STILL keeps up with Everything in that sorta USB stick/Dongle-syle USB DAC/Amps - but, having a cable, and Kevin was smart to do this then, makes sure you don't knock your microStreamer off the USB port!! - and screw em BOTH up.
biggrin.gif

Yeah yeah I know - they're Beats! But the Solo2s - Tyll suggested I check em out.
NOT bad! and comfortable - but, I would still recommend the Sennheiser Urbanite over these,
but they're great around the neck, and for rockin' around when you don't wanna care too much about the cans gettin' damaged or something. They also mate w/ the MS VERY well!

And - I dig em ALOT more w/ my DHC Molecule Elite cables!!  - TRUE - sorry!

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #1,072 of 1,216
Feb 4, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #1,074 of 1,216
  This is what seems to be the reason behind this eerie silence about the future of HRT dSp. Look  here -  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1698830754/dsp-making-your-headphones-sound-better 
HRT is strangely trying to position themselves as a start-up 
confused_face_2.gif
.  Management problems or greed? Here is something  even better and in stock, so do not despair http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/9018-dac

"So why are we doing a Kickstarter – we’re not a startup but a well known established company." => They're definitely not trying to position themselves as a start-up !

Feb 6, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #1,077 of 1,216
I don't see why anyone is offended that HRT are using kickstarter for their new product. It's free advertising to people browsing kickstarter that wouldn't normally be aware about a new HRT product. They don't hide the fact that they are an established company, they have it proudly displayed everywhere

Maybe they are attempting to gauge interest in the product before they go into production, maybe they're funding initial production with the kickstarter, I don't know.

No matter what the reason I don't see any cause to be upset. They're a small company that's launching a really niche market product that's going to be better than the majority of the garbage products that take off there.

So really valid reasons:
-Funding the initial production run
-Gauging interest
-Marketing
-Advertising

Feb 6, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #1,078 of 1,216
Yeah I don't get the hostility either, it's not like this is a fortune 500 company try to get the little guy so they can buy another yacht or theme park.
I'm waiting for the DSP which will actually replace my microstreamer, because of it's low power requirement which will be handy with my phone.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #1,079 of 1,216
  I don't see why anyone is offended that HRT are using kickstarter for their new product. It's free advertising to people browsing kickstarter that wouldn't normally be aware about a new HRT product. They don't hide the fact that they are an established company, they have it proudly displayed everywhere

Maybe they are attempting to gauge interest in the product before they go into production, maybe they're funding initial production with the kickstarter, I don't know.

No matter what the reason I don't see any cause to be upset. They're a small company that's launching a really niche market product that's going to be better than the majority of the garbage products that take off there.

So really valid reasons:
-Funding the initial production run
-Gauging interest
-Marketing
-Advertising

I agree.

Having worked for HRT (YRS ago - I liked their MusicStreamer+ and MusicStreamer II so much when I reviewed them, - both now discontinued - that I was psyched to join the team when they first hit the market) - I can tell you there's no reason to be offended!

But I'm sure @Kevin_Halverson can explain further - as I just heard about the campaign for the idsp & dsp a couple days ago. But Kevin and Mike Hobson have been in the high-end audio industry for many years, and they run their business as legit as it gets!

This IS ALL off-topic in this Thread however...

I wanted to share, since I got a production-level pair of Audeze EL-8 open-backs for review:

They marry splendidly with the microStreamer!!

The sound is fiercely dynamic, and both micro and macro-dynamic detail retrieval is simply unbelievable for a product this SIZE & PRICE!! Which is why I wrote the glowing review that kicked-off this thread. The mids are luscious and transparent - not to mention how vividly captured and reproduced the mid-band is. Highs are extended and wide-open: A VERY nice sonic characteristic of the pairing - as the EL-8s have a SLIGHT dip in the treble. The bass and sub-bass are magnificently controlled and punchy. Overall I'm havin' a BLAST  - listening to the combo RIGHT NOW!!

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #1,080 of 1,216
  Yeah I don't get the hostility either, it's not like this is a fortune 500 company try to get the little guy so they can buy another yacht or theme park.
I'm waiting for the DSP which will actually replace my microstreamer, because of it's low power requirement which will be handy with my phone.

I haven't seen the hostility - will check it out another time...

But, like I said in my post above - if the members wanna take it elsewhere into another thread that would be GREAT.
As this is about their magnificent lil' microStreamer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back