Songs You'd Pay 100 Bucks To Never Hear Again
Jan 11, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #61 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I lost mine but have everything afterward so I'm going on memory only and catching Jeremy played occasionally on a video.

Ten is, if memory serves correctly, too bombastic and mellow dramatic for my taste. Sort of like a Seattle U2. It is a debut album after all so maturity isn't unexpected with the later albums...which certainly do have there share of bombast and mellow dramatics here and there. Oh the soggy heart-felt ballad!
Am I too old to enjoy naivete/teen angst?
tongue.gif

'No Way' off Yield is an example of an unassuming, quirky PJ song with groove I enjoy. Or 'Do the Evolution', from the same album, as a livelier listen with semi-humour.

"those ignorant indians got nothing on me!"
icon10.gif

Pearl Jam is one of the only bands that I can think of that can cater to the angry teens and the older more mature political thinkers, while still being able to play great arena rockers.

I will be more than willing to send you a copy of ten if you wanna hear it again. It is not too mellow dramatic for me. I think it was more indicative of the time period.

BTW, they play DTE way better live than on Yield. I never liked the album version.
tongue.gif
The improvs are what make that one great.

Jan 11, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #62 of 127
Quote:

Am I too old to enjoy naivete/teen angst?
tongue.gif

Well, maybe you just don't enjoy Pearl Jam, because Ten sure isn't about naivete and teen angst. Especially considering the band was in their mid-to-late-twenties when Ten was released. If you are at all interested in the band or interpretations of the lyrics, check out www.theskyiscrape.com and look at the songbook for that stuff. It's pretty interesting. Sorry, I guess you could have that view of the album if you haven't heard it in a long time, but I just had to inform the uninformed when generalizations like that are made about my favorite band
tongue.gif

Anyways, sorry for thread-crapping or whatever. But I still stand by St. Anger being a tour de suck.

Edit: In response to roadtonowhere's post, I agree angry teens can relate to the energy and dark tone to some of their songs. I was just arguing that their material is much too deep to be passed off as a product of naivete or teen angst, which many alternative rock bands do, a la Blink 182, etc.

Jan 12, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #64 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
I will be more than willing to send you a copy of ten if you wanna hear it again. It is not too mellow dramatic for me. I think it was more indicative of the time period.

That's OK, I think I'm now obligated to get a copy which must surely be had at the used music shop up the street from me for a couple bucks. Thanks anyway!
icon10.gif

It may be a time period thing as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB06
Well, maybe you just don't enjoy Pearl Jam,

I just had to inform the uninformed when generalizations like that are made about my favorite band
tongue.gif

Yes generalizations will piss one off.
wink.gif

Come to think of it 'VS' which follows 'Ten' is my next least favorite PJ album.
I only really get into them with Vitalogy-No Code-Yield-Binaural era. So I guess it is a different appreciation of different time period Pearl Jams, even if their range is narrowly focused through out their career.
I think I'm one of the few who likes a whole 1/2 of Riot Act even if it is a lesser release generally. 'Save You' as the customary PJ token rocker is actually worthy.

Jan 12, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #66 of 127
Linkin Park. I will never forget sitting in the parking lot waiting for Metallica and hearing the same song played on every rock station
frown.gif

No I don't remember what song it was of theirs. They all sound the same to me
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #67 of 127
Quote:

Yes generalizations will piss one off.
wink.gif

Come to think of it 'VS' which follows 'Ten' is my next least favorite PJ album.
I only really get into them with Vitalogy-No Code-Yield-Binaural era. So I guess it is a different appreciation of different time period Pearl Jams, even if their range is narrowly focused through out their career.
I think I'm one of the few who likes a whole 1/2 of Riot Act even if it is a lesser release generally. 'Save You' as the customary PJ token rocker is actually worthy.

While I do place Ten as my obligatory favorite PJ album, I also rank No Code and Yield right up there with it. If there's one thing you can credit Pearl Jam with, its letting their music grow with the band, and not just rehash the classic Ten-style album that would guarantee success like so many other bands do. I am a fan of most of Riot Act myself, I really like 'You Are' that is really out-there in terms of their style.

Jan 12, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #68 of 127
roadtonowhere08: "Pearl Jam is one of the only bands that I can think of that can cater to the angry teens and the older more mature political thinkers, while still being able to play great arena rockers."

Green Day and Radiohead, to name two others. Green Day are funny live these days, though - they put little minute long noodly bridges into the middle of a lot of the faster songs, so they can get their breath back...poor old men. :p

Jan 12, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #69 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
roadtonowhere08: "Pearl Jam is one of the only bands that I can think of that can cater to the angry teens and the older more mature political thinkers, while still being able to play great arena rockers."

Green Day and Radiohead, to name two others. Green Day are funny live these days, though - they put little minute long noodly bridges into the middle of a lot of the faster songs, so they can get their breath back...poor old men. :p

LOL, not a big fan of either one. I never "got" Ok Computer.

MikeB06: "You Are" is by FAR my favorite song on Riot Act. It really saved that album for me. Beautiful song...

Jan 12, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #70 of 127
We're really crapping this thread with the PJ chatter.
So I'll say I'd pay 100 bucks not to hear 'Thumbing My Way' or 'Bu$hleaguer' (even if I agree with the politics) from Riot Act.

But...actually the 1st 5 Riot Act songs are keepers for me. A very front loaded album. And what's the deal with having it recorded not to the standard of the other PJ album?

Jan 12, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #71 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Poison - Talk Dirty to Me (among others)

..would 'unskinny bop' be one of those 'others' per chance?
wink.gif
Pure class..even outclasses the soft-metal ballad to outcliche all others - 'Every Rose has it's Thorn'!

Other tragedies I thought I had long purged from my memory may include:

Anything by 'Warrant' - nuff said
'Lay your hands on Me' by Bon Jovi - An ego even bigger than his hairdo!
'Wind of Change' by the Scorpions
Anything by MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, or Milli Vanilli (was the world on crack or what?)
blink.gif

Early 90s brag rap (Pay to listen to someone bragging - do you feel like a chump? You should!)
Anything by Paula Abdul
Anything by Richard Marx (esp that tripe about being done for his dead girlfriend - Hazard or summit?)
'When a Man Loves a Woman' by Michael Bolton ..I shouldn't continue.....uRge tO kiLL....rISinG..

Feb 20, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #72 of 127
Anything by U2

That song by Jane's Addiction that goes like "Jane says, have you seen my wig around...I feel naked withooooouuuuut it.." It's just so whiny and in my like 10 years of listening our alternative rock station here in Portland they have never stopped playing it.

Feb 20, 2005 at 8:23 AM Post #74 of 127
at first, i didn't think there was actually a song in existence that i would pay to not hear again.. but one just came to me a few minutes ago (mostly because it just accidentally popped up in my playlist).

'my pal foot foot' by the shaggs.

jesus christ, worst song EVER. i say that with every ounce of conviction in me.. WORST.. SONG.. EVER.

i uploaded it here if you want to hear it.

Feb 20, 2005 at 10:38 AM Post #75 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
at first, i didn't think there was actually a song in existence that i would pay to not hear again.. but one just came to me a few minutes ago (mostly because it just accidentally popped up in my playlist).

'my pal foot foot' by the shaggs.

jesus christ, worst song EVER. i say that with every ounce of conviction in me.. WORST.. SONG.. EVER.

i uploaded it here if you want to hear it.

Thats one of the reasons I support piracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back