Songs You'd Pay 100 Bucks To Never Hear Again
Jan 10, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #46 of 127
You guys do know nothing about REAL pain. In Finland, when we had the Idols competition, like 5 or 6 "best" ones all got recording contracts from BMG, and all got tons of airplay in the radio. Now as they have looped their no.1 and no.2 hits for almost an year, they are playing the even worse songs from their albums. It's like every second song in the radio is from one of the idols top 5-6 "winners". My personal anti-favourite is Antti Tuisku, who is a 19 year old boy, who has a fanbase of half of finnish teenage girls out there, even though the dude is clearly a gay. Totally unbearable stuff. Then, we also have a invasion of 15-year old (or younger!) rappers, and I'm not kidding here! And those are totally owning the charts with the idols "winners". Nowadays it's next to impossible to listen to any major radio station without getting sick.

And oh, almost forgot, we recently had a Popstars 2 competition, which is the copy of Idols concept (and also run by BMG), but aimed for even younger audience, and meant to create two bands. One girlie band and one boyband. Both the bands are totally ridiculous, but of course, played in the radio nonstop. It is really no wonder why underground scenes like dark metal really flourish here. This kind of pop music hell really calls for "viva la resistance!"

Jan 10, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #47 of 127
nacher: actually, one English guy owns *all* the Popstars / Idol formats - they originated in the UK and they've all been used there already (the 'two bands' idea was called Popstars: The Rivals or somethig like that over in the UK), and he sells them out around the world. So they're not even in competition, they're all just making one guy richer. Gahhh...anyone fancy joining me on an assassination trip?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #51 of 127
you guys aren't trying hard enough. how could you forget:

any christmas song by kenny G

lou vega's 'mambo'

spice girl's 'wannabe'

and of course....

'la macarena'

Jan 10, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #52 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Different strokes for different folks, I guess
eggosmile.gif

Indeed.
Jeremy is my least favorite PJ song from my least favorite PJ album and I have them all. And just got and am listening to 'Lost Dogs' as we speak believe it or not. I like B-side PJ more than A-side PJ.
icon10.gif

Jan 10, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #53 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Pearl Jam-Jeremy

Quote:

Ok, it's ON now!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
Better watch your back, foo!!!
tongue.gif

Different strokes for different folks, I guess
eggosmile.gif

Once you've seen Eddie Vedder sing this and been part of a sold-out ampitheater all screaming the "ohhhh"s and "aye aye aye..."s along with him at the end of the song, this song will never get old
580smile.gif

Jan 11, 2005 at 8:17 AM Post #56 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB06
Once you've seen Eddie Vedder sing this and been part of a sold-out ampitheater all screaming the "ohhhh"s and "aye aye aye..."s along with him at the end of the song, this song will never get old
580smile.gif

Saw them three times during the Binaural tour. LA, San Bernardino, and San Diego. Outstanding tour!!! I do have to say though, Eddie does not put much heart into that song anymore, but in San Diego, that ending was incredible. What a climax!!!

Eyeteeth, what makes it even funnier is that Ten is my favotite PJ album. Man, are we different in that regard
biggrin.gif
But if it weren't for you, I would never have heard Dark Suns, and that more than makes up for your blasphemy
tongue.gif
I owe you one
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay, here's one: The entire St. Anger album from Metallica. Simply a big pile of craptacular vomit from the mouth of the devil. And I am going easy on it, too.

Jan 11, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #57 of 127
Quote:

Saw them three times during the Binaural tour. LA, San Bernardino, and San Diego. Outstanding tour!!! I do have to say though, Eddie does not put much heart into that song anymore, but in San Diego, that ending was incredible. What a climax!!!

Eyeteeth, what makes it even funnier is that Ten is my favotite PJ album. Man, are we different in that regard
biggrin.gif
But if it weren't for you, I would never have heard Dark Suns, and that more than makes up for your blasphemy
tongue.gif
I owe you one
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay, here's one: The entire St. Anger album from Metallica. Simply a big pile of craptacular vomit from the mouth of the devil. And I am going easy on it, too.

I saw them 3 times during their Riot Act 2003 tour at Philadelphia, Chicago, and East Troy, Wisc. The most vivid memories I have from those shows were in East Troy at the Alpine Valley ampitheater. Absolutely beautiful night and fully packed, and the crowd was absolutely nuts singing, most notably at the end of Jeremy, the whole first verse of Better Man, and their cover of Baba O'Riley. Just listening to the bootleg of that show gives me goosebumps knowing I was one of the 30-40K voices screaming along with Eddie
600smile.gif

I'll also agree with the St. Anger notion, after buying the CD on release date and convincing myself to like it, I couldn't pay myself to listen to it ever again.

Jan 11, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #60 of 127
Quote:

Eyeteeth, what makes it even funnier is that Ten is my favotite PJ album.

I lost mine but have everything afterward so I'm going on memory only and catching Jeremy played occasionally on a video.

Ten is, if memory serves correctly, too bombastic and mellow dramatic for my taste. Sort of like a Seattle U2. It is a debut album after all so maturity isn't unexpected with the later albums...which certainly do have there share of bombast and mellow dramatics here and there. Oh the soggy heart-felt ballad!
Am I too old to enjoy naivete/teen angst?
tongue.gif

'No Way' off Yield is an example of an unassuming, quirky PJ song with groove I enjoy. Or 'Do the Evolution', from the same album, as a livelier listen with semi-humour.

"those ignorant indians got nothing on me!"
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back