Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Apr 23, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #706 of 1,377
Another option, it seems to me, would be for Sonarworks to set up an account with an international shipper such as DHL or similar, to handle the shipping in both directions.
Businesses that set up a 'commercial' account with a shipper usually have far more influence on getting the shipments handled properly and at much lower cost as well.
And, handling insurance claims, when needed, can usually be much quicker as well.

And as I see it, if this service were streamlined more would jump at the chance to get their HP dialed in.
In fact I can think of at least 6 people here in the Seattle area alone, who would opt for this and some of them would be sending in multiple HP's.

Just a thought or 2.

JJ

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #707 of 1,377
If I had to choose two cities to have headquarters, it would be Berlin and Chicago. Both are cheaper than other comparable cities (Vienna, London, Paris; New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles) and relatively central to their respective continents. I'm not sure where in Asia would be best, but I think Singapore wouldn't be too bad—not as polluted as the major Chinese cities and not as expensive as Hong Kong or Tokyo.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #708 of 1,377
my wild imagination sees the process of calibration as...
 - remove headphones from box
 - plug in and place on one of those dummy heads
 - push 'go' and wait for 30 seconds
 - put headphones back in same box
 - return ship

is this over-simplifying the process? seems like something anyone could do reliably anywhere in the world with the right dummy head and calibration software.  i would be willing to do it for them for all us customers if they set me up with the rig.

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #709 of 1,377
 - return ship

is this over-simplifying the process? seems like something anyone could do reliably anywhere in the world with the right dummy head and calibration software.  i would be willing to do it for them for all us customers if they set me up with the rig.

Another factor is the training and experience of the operator.
Which, as a single factor, can make or break the entire process.

You also need a suitably controlled and quiet room to perform the measurements in.
This alone can be an expensive aspect, especially if you live in or near a major city.
Aircraft, trains, freeway and truck traffic, etc, can really mess with the results obtained.

Just a thought or 2.

JJ

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #710 of 1,377
Yup, one of the reasons I didn't attempt a loudspeaker calibration. I live in the outskirts of my town and there is minimal traffic, but even the vents on my PC may interfere, not to mention I'd need a much better mic.

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #711 of 1,377
 - return ship

Currently the individual calibration process takes no less than 3 trained audio engineers spending some time with the headphones in question. For some headphones the calibration is little more than just "flipping" the measurement curve, but around 80% require heavy manual compensation for measurement artefacts in higher frequencies. All headphones are compared by ear to the reference by 3 guys after which the chief science guy gives a final listen and greenlights the compensation curve. Or doesn't.

We're constantly working to simplify the process, but currently this is the only way to get good AND consistent results.

You also need a suitably controlled and quiet room to perform the measurements in.
This alone can be an expensive aspect, especially if you live in or near a major city.
Aircraft, trains, freeway and truck traffic, etc, can really mess with the results obtained.

It's not as important for relative measurements, but for absolutes - for sure. We were lucky to repurpose an old soviet film studio building into an office space. It's in the city outskirts and purpose built to lessen low frequency noise from nearby sources. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #712 of 1,377

- return ship

Currently the individual calibration process takes no less than 3 trained audio engineers spending some time with the headphones in question. For some headphones the calibration is little more than just "flipping" the measurement curve, but around 80% require heavy manual compensation for measurement artefacts in higher frequencies. All headphones are compared by ear to the reference by 3 guys after which the chief science guy gives a final listen and greenlights the compensation curve. Or doesn't.

We're constantly working to simplify the process, but currently this is the only way to get good AND consistent results.

It's not as important for relative measurements, but for absolutes - for sure. We were lucky to repurpose an old soviet film studio building into an office space. It's in the city outskirts and purpose built to lessen low frequency noise from nearby sources. 

What about streamlining the setup and licensing keys that defeated me for one?  Couldn't even try it out for the 21-day trial period.  I'm a music listener, not a software engineer.  Just a potential user who would like to enjoy the benefits of this product.

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #713 of 1,377
  What about streamlining the setup and licensing keys that defeated me for one?  Couldn't even try it out for the 21-day trial period.  I'm a music listener, not a software engineer.  Just a potential user who would like to enjoy the benefits of this product.

I think they mentioned working on the license issues specifically... it is a very rough experience no doubt.  Personally I am awaiting a Systemwide bug fix for some output device issues it has that leave me fighting with it at least a couple times a day.

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #715 of 1,377
snip
Another aspect is contamination of the signal the mics hear.
Especially in the very low end since bass can travel great distances and penetrate buildings so readily.
Since Sonarworks has access to a 'real' sound studio, which is a MAJOR find I can see where your services have a leg up.
And being in the outskirts etc is going to make it much harder to replicate this degree of 'calibration' elsewhere as well.

And one factor that seems to be missed by most is the ability of your s/w to balance the channel to channel FR for the entire audio bandwidth.
This alone can have a HUGE impact on overall SQ.
Being able to match both channels response, to each other, at the headphones, is entirely new and is the major attraction for me to want to get mine measured to begin with.

JJ

May 3, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #716 of 1,377
I was looking for someone who has tried SW with the hd700. Is it as revolutionary with the hd700 as it is with the hd800?

MattTCG:
I just downloaded Sonarworks Reference 3 Headphone Plug-in. I do have the HD 700's. My initial reaction after listening for about a half hour is Wider soundstage, cleaner presentation and I had no problem driving my Little Dot MK III.
I use JRiver DLNA > Marantz NA 7004 Music Server 24/96kHz > Musical Fidelity M1 Dac > Little Dot MK III.

Now I am just using the Flat Line with the HD 700 Average. I only tried the Custom with 1 dB Bass Boost and 2 dB of Tilt for a short time. Still need to review.

Prior to this I was using the JRiver with:
  1. Output Format
  2. Vol Leveling
  3. Adaptive Volume
  4. EQ
  5. Parametric EQ
Now I just use Sonarworks. So far it is great. I need to listen to a bunch of my stuff for a while.

May 3, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #718 of 1,377
No Problem. Will keep you posted.

May 4, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #719 of 1,377
Still no word regarding my shipment to Sonarworks. It has been nearly 1 month now and tracking still shows the same missed deliveries.

I returned a set of custom calibrated DT 770's back on March 27th via USPS for about $22 (from Orlando, FL). It was supposed to take 10-14 days and came with a tracking number. The tracking number comes up "Not Trackable." USPS said this happens frequently on their international items once it reaches the destination country. So, I like you, am 5+ weeks into shipping, no sign of a delivery, and still waiting on my refund (which will go toward the Oppo PM-3's I bought the day I returned the DT 770's). Now with these shipping issues, I'm seriously debating whether I'm willing to get these custom calibrated like I planned. That said, I own the studio & headphone software and it is worth every penny (and so is the custom headphone calibration), but shipping is a nightmare!

May 4, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #720 of 1,377
I returned a set of custom calibrated DT 770's back on March 27th via USPS for about $22 (from Orlando, FL). It was supposed to take 10-14 days and came with a tracking number. The tracking number comes up "Not Trackable." USPS said this happens frequently on their international items once it reaches the destination country. So, I like you, am 5+ weeks into shipping, no sign of a delivery, and still waiting on my refund (which will go toward the Oppo PM-3's I bought the day I returned the DT 770's). Now with these shipping issues, I'm seriously debating whether I'm willing to get these custom calibrated like I planned. That said, I own the studio & headphone software and it is worth every penny (and so is the custom headphone calibration), but shipping is a nightmare!

Yeah this is a complete disaster to have 4 high end headphones worth almost $8k just lost in the post with no one to call or who answers the phone... I highly recommend against anyone using this service until they sort out how to handle the process more reliably from end to end. What bothers me most is the tracking says 'missed delivery' 3 times but according to Sonarworks support the package is still in the airport and hasn't cleared customs. It blows my mind tracking could indicate various missed deliveries when it hasn't even legally entered the country yet. How exactly did that happen and what is the value of tracking when they can tag it with anything they want at any stage of shipment. It cost me over $80 shipping and was to take 5-10 days and it has been over a month now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back