Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
May 16, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #736 of 1,377
Yeah this is a complete disaster to have 4 high end headphones worth almost $8k just lost in the post with no one to call or who answers the phone... I highly recommend against anyone using this service until they sort out how to handle the process more reliably from end to end. What bothers me most is the tracking says 'missed delivery' 3 times but according to Sonarworks support the package is still in the airport and hasn't cleared customs. It blows my mind tracking could indicate various missed deliveries when it hasn't even legally entered the country yet. How exactly did that happen and what is the value of tracking when they can tag it with anything they want at any stage of shipment. It cost me over $80 shipping and was to take 5-10 days and it has been over a month now.

Just had an inquiry done at USPS on my package. It was shipped on March 27th and arrived at the local post in Latvia on April 2nd. Final delivery attempt on May 5th was undeliverable and since the package was still unclaimed, it's now on its way back to me. It was only $22 and change to ship but now it's been a month and a half and I have no choice but to throw another $22 at another delivery attempt because I need that refund. Are you kidding me???!!

May 16, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #737 of 1,377
I gotta say that $22 is a bargain, at least in terms of the cost.
When I was looking into the cost of sending just my 800's with full insurance, the cost was $300+ one way.
I checked DHL, FedEx and UPS.

And true enough there was USPS and other cheaper carriers but they hand off the package to a 'local' postal/delivery service, and that seems to be where the confusion and problems stem from.
All ability to track the package, in near real time, is severed at that point of hand off.

And then there is the whole subject of collecting on insurance when the package is 'lost'.

It didn't paint a pretty picture and certainly not one I wanted to trust.

JJ

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #738 of 1,377
Did some @groovyd posts just got lost?

Unfortunately this is a major screwup for national mail/customs and I feel bad about @groovyd , because I don't feel like we've done the best we could as a company to help him.

Here's what we could have done better - watched closely all incoming shipments via tracking and detected the customs holdup in a more timely matter. Currently we don't have a system that knows everything that's on our way to us, which is why we're temporarily closing the overseas individual calibration service. Should anyone still be interested in using it, please contact our support.

As for the snail mail - before @groovyd contacted us, we had no info delivered to us regarding the shipment. That's why we couldn't engage with our customs broker faster. Turns out the customs fee we paid was for another shipment, so we missed the window to recover @groovyd 's cans.

If @groovyd is still interested in getting his cans calibrated, we offer to do a FedEX shipping on our expense with free calibration. Should take about a week grand total.

May 16, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #739 of 1,377
Did some @groovyd posts just got lost?

Unfortunately this is a major screw-up for national mail/customs and I feel bad about @groovyd , because I don't feel like we've done the best we could as a company to help him.

Here's what we could have done better - watched closely all incoming shipments via tracking and detected the customs holdup in a more timely matter. Currently we don't have a system that knows everything that's on our way to us, which is why we're temporarily closing the overseas individual calibration service. Should anyone still be interested in using it, please contact our support.

As for the snail mail - before @groovyd contacted us, we had no info delivered to us regarding the shipment. That's why we couldn't engage with our customs broker faster. Turns out the customs fee we paid was for another shipment, so we missed the window to recover @groovyd 's cans.

If @groovyd is still interested in getting his cans calibrated, we offer to do a FedEX shipping on our expense with free calibration. Should take about a week grand total.

I'm not sure what happened to @groovyd post either but it looks like it was removed but I won't speculate any further, for now. Let's be honest here. You guys screwed up and badly. How many posts has groovy made here regarding this package to you for getting his headphones? More than a few. Everyone who follows this thread knew it was being shipped and when you didn't collect it, he posted WITH SCREENSHOTS when the package wasn't received when attempted to be delivered...more than once.

And then you complained about having to pay the customs on his package, citing this as the reason why you'd no longer be doing overseas calibration. Now it seems that it wasn't even HIS package that needed customs money. Do you guys even know what you're paying for with customs on these packages. It would seem the answer is obvious.

If it seem that I'm being a little harsh, good. It's deserved truthfully. My advice...when you screw up, and clearly you did, don't dance around and hem and haw about it. Just say we screwed and badly. Then correct the problems that led to your mistakes. Also, don't think that offering to pay shipping and free calibration makes up for your mistake. You SHOULD offer that due to the mistakes that you've made. If I were groovy, given your track record here with him, I'd suggest saying "no thanks." This guy sent you THOUSANDS dollars worth of headphones, remember and appreciate that. At no time did you seem all that concerned about him or his investment in headphones that he sent to you and trusted you with. Imagine for just a minute that it was YOUR package worth thousands of dollars and how you'd feel. Pause for reflection here.

Lastly, don't disrespect your customers or the community here if you'd like to continue to be in our favor. The tide can shift quickly, just ask Hifiman.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #740 of 1,377
I appreciate the offer for a second shot at calibration and if I ever get my headphones back I will give you guys the chance to make it right. Mistakes happen, and while I am a bit disappointed in how it was handled ultimately I would like to get these calibrated. I've waited nearly 2 months now so what's another couple weeks to get the job done and allow Sonarworks to make right on their mistake. Let's just hope the follow-up service is a better experience then the first.

May 17, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #741 of 1,377
It's deserved truthfully.

Sure. We effed up. I just hope in the end @groovyd ends up being happy. After all he'll have the biggest custom calibrated can collection in the world.

In other news - we just updated the individual calibration comms flow. Tracking now is compulsory and our support will require it to keep tabs on all shipments. Also every customer will have his/her personal support guy who will be the "owner" of the calibration project. All of our "support guys" are experienced audio engineers, so they'll be able to answer any audio related question you might have.

May 17, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #742 of 1,377
At this point I am just hoping to see them again and that nothing was lost or damaged in the process... am glad though to see a better managed process evolving from this. I really do think you guys would benefit greatly from a US calibration office.

May 17, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #743 of 1,377
I reached out to Sonarworks yesterday with my issue and I have to say that they were very apologetic about the shipping issues and are covering the cost of initial shipping plus the cost of the next shipping via FedEx. They made it very clear that they messed up and could've handled it better on their end (since I notified them of the return and provided them with the tracking number back in March). They also advised that they're working on a process to eliminate missed deliveries and returned items like @groovyd and myself just had. And as @RudeWolf mentioned above, they're doing exactly what needs to be done to get a bulletproof process in place for future business. These are characteristics of a company worth doing business with.

As soon as the shipping issues are sured up, I'll definitely be sending in my Oppo PM-3's to get calibrated.

May 20, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #744 of 1,377
I'm currently using the trial with the HD800S and I am blown away with the improvement. I use the HD800 curve and dilute it slightly using the wet/dry tab to about 85%, my logic here is that the small difference between the 800/800S should mean that this is close enough. I hope a 800S file is released but I won't hold my breath.
When I get chance I'm going to try it with my oppo pm3s and HD650.
One thing for sure is I will be purchasing a license key, it's made the biggest improvement in sound quality over anything else I've purchased.

May 21, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #745 of 1,377
I am using the Ref 3 Headphone Plugin with JRiver. I use the HD 700 Average and finally settled on the Custom Curve with no Bass Boost with 2dB of Tilt. Once the tracking issues get resolved I want to send my HD 700 for Calibration.

May 22, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #747 of 1,377
Is Sonarworks still in business? Today I am getting alternate webpages at their url or someone has stolen their domain?
Just got an email from them announcing 28 new headphone profiles, so yeah.

May 22, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #749 of 1,377
ok i see they are back online but with a different homepage. must have hit it right when they were switching over. i downloaded their latest plugins and systemwide but i don't see the added headphone profiles. What is the right way to 'upgrade' the plugins and systemwide to assure I am actually using the latest stuff? I'm on a Mac.

I never got the email... shouldn't I get one also?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back