Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
May 4, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #722 of 1,377
Yeah this is a complete disaster to have 4 high end headphones worth almost $8k just lost in the post with no one to call or who answers the phone... I highly recommend against anyone using this service until they sort out how to handle the process more reliably from end to end. What bothers me most is the tracking says 'missed delivery' 3 times but according to Sonarworks support the package is still in the airport and hasn't cleared customs. It blows my mind tracking could indicate various missed deliveries when it hasn't even legally entered the country yet. How exactly did that happen and what is the value of tracking when they can tag it with anything they want at any stage of shipment. It cost me over $80 shipping and was to take 5-10 days and it has been over a month now.
The exact same thing happened with me, when I sent my LCD Xs last year. For some reason the phones get "stuck" at the Riga Post office (customs, maybe) for like 2 weeks and your USPS indicates "missed delivery", but don't sweat it. Eventually it does clear, and then goes to their shop which takes another 10 days to 2 weeks. Then they send it back which takes another week. THEN YOU GET THEM BACK, and they sound fantastic.

I don't think they're lost or ripped off. It just takes time. I've been there, and this is my experience. Hope this helps.

May 5, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #723 of 1,377
High value items get stuck in customs. It's a facility near the airport and national post office, probably that's why it shows up as being held in post. It amazes me that some services show missed deliveries even if there can't be any. For cases like these we have a customs agent who does the paperwork and convinces the officials that we're not keeping these headphones for ourselves. Otherwise we would be dodging some serious VAT and our government seems to frown upon small businesses doing that.

Now, here's the kicker - sometimes we don't get notices that there are items meant for us sitting in customs. Which seems to be the case this time. So if you're sending from overseas something valuable, send us a message beforehand. The calibration service we're doing doesn't include logistics to our site, so it's up to the customer to get their cans to us. That however doesn't mean that we're not motivated to help them out.

We're currently looking into options of declaring that headphones sent in for calibration are declared as broken and sent in for repairs.

May 5, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #724 of 1,377
High value items get stuck in customs. It's a facility near the airport and national post office, probably that's why it shows up as being held in post. It amazes me that some services show missed deliveries even if there can't be any. For cases like these we have a customs agent who does the paperwork and convinces the officials that we're not keeping these headphones for ourselves. Otherwise we would be dodging some serious VAT and our government seems to frown upon small businesses doing that.

Now, here's the kicker - sometimes we don't get notices that there are items meant for us sitting in customs. Which seems to be the case this time. So if you're sending from overseas something valuable, send us a message beforehand. The calibration service we're doing doesn't include logistics to our site, so it's up to the customer to get their cans to us. That however doesn't mean that we're not motivated to help them out.

We're currently looking into options of declaring that headphones sent in for calibration are declared as broken and sent in for repairs.

I have indicated to support and including tracking number weeks ago but it doesn't appear that your special customs agent is doing that paperwork? My support tickets keep getting closed as 'solved'. Best chance of this getting resolved is for someone there to go to that airport office and request clearance.

May 5, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #725 of 1,377
^^ That's great info! I appreciate you sharing.

MattTCG:

So far I have settled on the Custom Calibration with 1 dB Bass and 2 dB of Tilt, Mixed Phase Filter and Dry / Wet at 60.
Happy Listening

May 5, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #726 of 1,377
MattTCG:

So far I have settled on the Custom Calibration with 1 dB Bass and 2 dB of Tilt, Mixed Phase Filter and Dry / Wet at 60.
Happy Listening

if you don't use linear phase and it is not a 100% wet mix does this introduce additional 'phase shift' since the original samples are playing at the same time as delayed wet samples? Assuming while using linear phase it shifts the original by the same number of samples during the mix? Seems this would introduce a sort of frequency based reverb?

May 5, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #727 of 1,377
if you don't use linear phase and it is not a 100% wet mix does this introduce additional 'phase shift' since the original samples are playing at the same time as delayed wet samples? Assuming while using linear phase it shifts the original by the same number of samples during the mix? Seems this would introduce a sort of frequency based reverb?

groovyd:

I just started using Sonarworks. I am presently trying the Custom with mixed phase. I was listening through the iDSD Black and the HD 700's and just started adjusting the Dry / Wet until it sounded best. I am not getting any distortion or reverb. The Flat Calibration also sound good.

Thanks

May 10, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #730 of 1,377
Yeah, let's hope we bounce back soon.

Any new experiences with the system-wide?

Well my 4 headphones I shipped off to them April 1st are still missing so I haven't really gotten to use it. I don't feel like anyone there is really motivated to actually resolving this issue and getting the package out of the customs office on their side. Maybe they are, just doesn't seem that way. If one of their 'agents' went down to the airport office with whatever paperwork is needed I am sure it would be released.

May 12, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #731 of 1,377
Updated tracking information shows another attempted and missed delivery on May 8th. Please someone send the 'special' agent' to the airport with this tracking number and secure this package before it is returned to me or lost forever.

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 11.09.03 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 11.10.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 11.10.17 AM.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #732 of 1,377
The headphones will be in our lab on Monday. We finally had the chance to pay an 80EUR fee to get them out of customs.

I'm sad to announce that this means that we're putting a hold on our custom calibration service to overseas clients. This is not acceptable and we clearly won't be able to provide a good service due to customs holdups.

If anyone from overseas wants to get a custom calibrated pair of cans, the easiest way would be buying new an EU store and shipping them directly to us. Or just buying from our store, if we offer a model you need.

May 12, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #733 of 1,377
The headphones will be in our lab on Monday. We finally had the chance to pay an 80EUR fee to get them out of customs.

I'm sad to announce that this means that we're putting a hold on our custom calibration service to overseas clients. This is not acceptable and we clearly won't be able to provide a good service due to customs holdups.

If anyone from overseas wants to get a custom calibrated pair of cans, the easiest way would be buying new an EU store and shipping them directly to us. Or just buying from our store, if we offer a model you need.
I guess that means I will Never be able to send you my SD modded HD 800 for custom calibration.. SAD.

May 12, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #734 of 1,377
certainly glad to hear you located it. yes it would maybe be a good idea to organize perhaps a rep in the states who can perform calibrations for you. i'm an engineer and would be happy to setup a calibration office in atlanta for you if possible. i think it would greatly expand your calibration business. there is a huge market for it here this would open up. i appreciate you following through on this for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back