Somewhat Frustrated!!!!!!!!
Feb 10, 2012 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

cooperboytio

New Head-Fier

Good Morning Awesome People of earth,
I posted this is the portable headphone section but some said that full size might be the answer.

Here is my plight,

I've been searching for a pair of headphones online for a about 2 months. The reason I haven't ordered any yet is because I'm not sure of which to buy. I really want the best audio that I can get out for my 300 dollar price budget. I've been looking around and have read horrible reviews on beats by dr dre, so i threw those out of the window, bose i read was a hit or miss so i threw those out of the window as well. I have a pair of 149 dollar skull candy aviators; but I want more, so I would like headphones that suit my genre of music; r&b, hip hop, jazz, classical music, reggae, pop but I want headphones that have expandability to all genres of music just incase my taste in music switches. Moreover, these headphones have to be compatible with a portable music device such as an iPad, iPod touch,laptop. I know best is subjective but Im begging you all to tell me the best headphones that I can get for 300 dollars.

I am greatly appreciative.

Have A Wonderful Day!

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 17
Is sound isolation important to you? (ie. will you be listening in noisy environments, or those where other people hearing your music leaking from your headphones, would be an issue?)

Also, will you be adding an amplifier into your portable or home system - or will you be running it from the headphone out of the devices listed? 

Ultimately, at the price range you have some very good closed portable options:
Sennheiser HD25-1 II, VModa M-80, Beyerdynamic DT1350, Audio-Technical ATH-ESW9 - all of these isolate well, and can run off your devices without an amplifier

You also have some extremely good open (and a few closed) full size headphones. 
Sennheiser HD598, Senn HD600 (sometimes at this price), Beyerdynamic DT 990 and 880, Grado 325i, AKG K702/Q701 and K550, Denon D2000 (sometimes), ATH-A900 and many others. Some of these will be fine without an amp, others not so much. 

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Is sound isolation important to you? (ie. will you be listening in noisy environments, or those where other people hearing your music leaking from your headphones, would be an issue?)

Also, will you be adding an amplifier into your portable or home system - or will you be running it from the headphone out of the devices listed? 

Sennheiser HD25-1 II, VModa M-80, Beyerdynamic DT1350, Audio-Technical ATH-ESW9 - all of these isolate well, and can run off your devices without an amplifier

Sennheiser HD598, Senn HD600 (sometimes at this price), Beyerdynamic DT 990 and 880, Grado 325i, AKG K702/Q701 and K550, Denon D2000 (sometimes), ATH-A900 and many others. Some of these will be fine without an amp, others not so much. 

Cool, Thanks, I don't mind buying an amp but where can i find denons, beyerdynamic and grad in orlando. 

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:

And I need sound isolation thus closed will be more suitable because I'm a college a student who goes to the library frequently 

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 17
A little more than your stated max, but these should be pretty good: http://www.head-fi.org/t/591101/denon-d2000-w-lawton-mods-custom-cups-price-drop

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 17
Either the Sennheiser HD25-1 II or the V-Moda M-80. i belive those are the best portable headphones.the Sennheisers have amazing isolation but some people find them unattractive. the v-modas are not as isolating due to the odd earcup shape but they look much better than any other headhone i have ever seen. i myself have the hd25's and i love them, id do alittle more research before you choose but i think these would be perfect.

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
Either the Sennheiser HD25-1 II or the V-Moda M-80. i belive those are the best portable headphones.the Sennheisers have amazing isolation but some people find them unattractive. the v-modas are not as isolating due to the odd earcup shape but they look much better than any other headhone i have ever seen. i myself have the hd25's and i love them, id do alittle more research before you choose but i think these would be perfect.

x2

I have both of these headphones.  Both perfect for you.  As for which, if you prefer highs, go with the Sennheisers, and if you prefer mid-bass, go with the V-Modas.  I personally prefer the Sennheisers if I had to choose (but I love treble).  Some people find the V-Modas less fatiguing.  Also, look into the Beyer dt 1350s.  I haven't heard them yet, but from what others are saying they're supposed to be really good.  

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 17
1350s are simply best in class imo. Sure, you spend more and you do that for a reason. QUALITY. No contest imo. 1350s all the way in this range. Absolutely awesome phones.

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 17
Trying to decide between the HD25's and the M80's. Only going to use my iPod Touch 4th gen.  Any idea if I could successfully drive the Senn's with the iPad only?  Also, I like (controlled) bass and really good mids.   Could you tell me your recommendation between these two. I'm really torn. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:

Good Morning Awesome People of earth,
I posted this is the portable headphone section but some said that full size might be the answer.

Here is my plight,

I've been searching for a pair of headphones online for a about 2 months. The reason I haven't ordered any yet is because I'm not sure of which to buy. I really want the best audio that I can get out for my 300 dollar price budget. I've been looking around and have read horrible reviews on beats by dr dre, so i threw those out of the window, bose i read was a hit or miss so i threw those out of the window as well. I have a pair of 149 dollar skull candy aviators; but I want more, so I would like headphones that suit my genre of music; r&b, hip hop, jazz, classical music, reggae, pop but I want headphones that have expandability to all genres of music just incase my taste in music switches. Moreover, these headphones have to be compatible with a portable music device such as an iPad, iPod touch,laptop. I know best is subjective but Im begging you all to tell me the best headphones that I can get for 300 dollars.

I am greatly appreciative.

Have A Wonderful Day!

Good for you on ditching beats and bose from your list.

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 17
Heya,

So you need isolation and a headphone that can cover all bases for all possible genres. Consider the following:

Beyer Dynamic DT770 PRO (pair with amplifier, Fiio E11): A touch of sparkle, warm solid bass, generous in all ways, isolating, comfortable, built like a tank. Excellent all around closed headphone.
Denon D2000 (no amp needed): Neutral, linear bass, incredible sub-bass, a touch of sparkle, very comfortable, not as isolating, incredible entry level high-end sound at a mid-tier price.
Brainwvaz HM5 (pair with amplifier, Fiio E11): Neutral, superb isolation, a little on the big side, lots accessories, a bit bright.
AKG K550 (no amp needed): Neutral, sleek, comfortable, great mids, detailed, not as bassy, but still neutral compared to an AKG.
Ultrasone PRO 750 (no amp needed): Bright, bassy, comfortable, rugged; an exciting headphone that is fun and hits you with a "V" frequency response.
M-Audio Q40 (with these velour pads) (pair with amplifier, Fiio E11): Foldable, detachable cable, very bassy, great mids, smooth laid back treble, rugged, incredibly musical and warm, very tight (I suggest velour pads as mandatory upgrade).

Overall, I'd go Beyer DT770 or the AKG K550 probably. Buy from Amazon with a return policy in case you don't like what you hear.

Very best,

May 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
Trying to decide between the HD25's and the M80's. Only going to use my iPod Touch 4th gen.  Any idea if I could successfully drive the Senn's with the iPad only?  Also, I like (controlled) bass and really good mids.   Could you tell me your recommendation between these two. I'm really torn. 

I can drive them fine with just an ipod (touch 4th gen) or my phone.  Volume tends to be near maxed out, but I listen a little on the loud side anyway.  For comparison, the M80 tends to hover around 2/3 of volume on the ipod and the HD25s around 90%.  Of course, both sound better amped, but the HD25s do gain more from amping than the M80s.  That being said, I don't think either sounds significantly better than the other unamped.  With the right amp the HD25s win IMO, but if you're using them as portable cans, you're probably not carrying around a $500 amp with you everywhere (though props if you are).  It really just comes down to highs IMO.  If you love treble, the Senns are the way to go.  Agressive, forward, bright, perfect for rock.  The treble on the m80s is fine, but much more subdued (which many find less fatiguing, but isn't my cup of tea).  The M80s have a lot more mid-bass emphasis, I would say good for hip hop type music.  As for mids, I dunno.  About tied IMO.  The bass is very controlled on both, but quantity goes to M80s I think.  

May 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 17
Technically best without being neutral?
Sony sa5000. 
Leagues above the mentioned cans in this thread. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 17
AKG 550 is a great all around can for $300 and does well without any amplification.

M-80s are the best value in that price range with HD-25s being a close second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back