Something different than DT880 in $100~300 range?
Jun 30, 2011 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Senpai3330

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I got over my upgrade-itis for all of about 2 months but I'm back already :frowning2:

So here's the thing, I absolutely love my DT880s. They haven't disappointed me for anything I've thrown at them: Classical, Jazz, Vocals, Electronica, Rock, etc, etc. But recently I've gotten a little bit of cash back in hand and got the urge to try something new. Only rule is that it should be an open headphone. So top contenders:

• Something dark, similar to HD600/650 but not exactly them, well maybe even them.
  • Something fast and even brighter SR225i/SR325i/Alessandro MS2

Really just anything interesting recommended to explore in that price range for me? Should I just start saving for an ortho setup? I don't mind prowling the For Sale forum for something harder to find either.

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 8
HD598

$180 if you call up J&R

They are the rouge of Senn, so they are kinda bright, but still laid back and have great highs, mids and a good travelling bass. Need a little amping, but very comfy for a long time and look pretty good.

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Hey everyone, I got over my upgrade-itis for all of about 2 months but I'm back already
frown.gif

So here's the thing, I absolutely love my DT880s. They haven't disappointed me for anything I've thrown at them: Classical, Jazz, Vocals, Electronica, Rock, etc, etc. But recently I've gotten a little bit of cash back in hand and got the urge to try something new. Only rule is that it should be an open headphone. So top contenders:

1. Something dark, similar to HD600/650 but not exactly them, well maybe even them.
  2. Something fast and even brighter SR225i/SR325i/Alessandro MS2

Really just anything interesting recommended to explore in that price range for me? Should I just start saving for an ortho setup? I don't mind prowling the For Sale forum for something harder to find either.

you may want to save for a T1 a major stup up over the 880 and my favorite and I owned both orthos and heard the 500 and had the HD800 i owned and sold them all to buy back my T1.

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 8
@BotByte - That's a negative on the HD598. Some part of me just fundamentally rejects them whether it's because they're a remake (although a commendable one) or just the whole Lamborghini-inspiration or whatever.
I really wish those HD7XX rumors were true.

@Frank - Yeah I've heard the T1's are just an uber 880. I'm looking for something different though and at $1k+ it's just a little too steep for me. I was thinking in the HE=5 not HE-6 price range when I said orthos.

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 8
I've heard that the Hifiman HE-4 are the TRUE upgrade to your DT880s. It seem like your setup is sufficient enough to drive these orthos (these are easier to drive than the heavier models).

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 8
Why not a Sennheiser HD-600 or HD-650? They can be nice and fast with the right amp. Don't expect it from a cheap OTL.

You might want to look into the Sony MDR-SA5000. A polarizing headphone, but it might be what you're looking for. I like my pair.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #7 of 8
Spend the money on a tube amp, it will turn your 880s into another beast altogether.

I've heard HD600/650 and in my opinion they don't come close to the liveliness of the 880. I like the SA5000 recommendation for a completely different sound, very exhilarating albeit slightly metallic sounding.

Jul 1, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 8
Wow I thought that design was only in the Sony Qualia R10. Just the design alone makes it very attractive. I'd be wiling to compromise the soundstage just because I've never really tried anything with a close soundstage.

But for the price I could grab a used Sr225i and HD600 together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back