Someone like you, Denon AH-D5000?
Jun 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #16 of 29
The he400 makes a perfect complement to my d5k to my ears. It will give that rich bass and wonderfully detailed and layered presentation that I think you're after. I have been chasing a perfect pair of complementary hp's for a while and this pair hits all the check boxes for me.

gL!!

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #17 of 29
Sorry, I didn't finish reading this thread before I posted. Also, it's too bad that the lcd-2.1's just don't seem to be what you were after, especially in regard to the treble. Maybe you should sell the r.1 to me 
biggrin.gif

What is your source, amp and dac for this setup btw?

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't finish reading this thread before I posted. Also, it's too bad that the lcd-2.1's just don't seem to be what you were after, especially in regard to the treble. Maybe you should sell the r.1 to me 
biggrin.gif

What is your source, amp and dac for this setup btw?

Maybe I should, Matt! :) I mean, if your actually interested, send me a pm.

I have a Burson HA160DS (dac and amp) which is fed with lossless-files (alac) from my Mac through usb.

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #19 of 29
Well, you're certainly not lacking in the amp/dac area. That's about as good as they'll sound tbh. I didn't notice that you were in Norway. That would probably kill any potential deal 
frown.gif

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #20 of 29
That´s probably true, as I see your in the US. I have done some trading with people from "over there", but when things start to weigh and take up some storage room, the shipping cost kills most deals it seems. Actually, it looks like the pricing is not that bad from Norway, but I have to deal with another problem when trading with dollar now days, and that is the exchange rates when the Norwegian currency is as strong as it is these days. 

Anyway...! I just read you review of the HiFiman HE400 - a very nice review btw -, and it really looks promising for sure! You probably should know what your talking about having the D5000 as well. Maybe I should give that one a try, as it´s not a wallet-killer either. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #21 of 29
The he400 is just an incredible value for what it brings to the table. I got mine on sale from moon-audio for $360 shipped. It's tough to even match the sound at that price point much less beat it. There are times when I've listened only to the he400 for a week without picking up the d5k. Then again, I've done the same with the d5k and not picked up the he400 for a week. 

They're both are just wonderful hp's. I'm very happy to be able to own them both!! I might have been happier in the long run with the he500, but...it's a bit heavier than the he400 which is kinda on the heavy side of what I'm comfortable with already. And you give up some bass for mids of the he500. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #22 of 29
Thanks for your feedback on the 400 Matt! Still sounds very promising, and I will defiantly keep an eye out for them, and actually think I might be able to audition them as well (a local dealer has just started importing HiFiman gear). What you mention about comfort worries me a but though, cause that is important for me as well, and the Denons are just a please in that matter. As I mentioned earlier I did find the LCD-2 a bit heavy as well, but I knew that the weight could be an issue before I bought them, so I wasen´t really surprised. If I get to test out the HE400 I will anyway get to check this out before buying.

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:
The he400 makes a perfect complement to my d5k to my ears. It will give that rich bass and wonderfully detailed and layered presentation that I think you're after. I have been chasing a perfect pair of complementary hp's for a while and this pair hits all the check boxes for me.

gL!!

That's what I was going to recommend (okay HE500, which I've heard, but it shouldn't be too different).  They are the perfect complement to the Denons- warm, rich, detailed and very present mids, more balanced bass and much more refined treble, they really nail every shortcoming of the Denons.  D7000 are barely better than D5000 (better mids but sharper treble, almost a wash imo).  But for the same price HE500 are MUCH better than the D7000. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #24 of 29
Yea, I agree. I would have never considered adding the d7k to my d5k. They are just too close. I wanted to something difference than what I already had.

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #26 of 29
I actually had D7000 for a short period of time, but even though it may be like swearing in the Head-fi-church for someone, I sold that one and kept the D5000. A bit more fun factor from the latter one I think, and although the 7000 may be more accurate on some levels, they are really, really close. For me I just couldn't defend having the much more expensive 7000 resting on the shelf most of the time.  

Like I said, I will try to audition the HE400 soon, and from what you guys are saying it seems like a good match for my preferences. Still a bit worried about the comfort level though, both the weight and the clamping force reported by several people, but we´ll see. I also recently got a confirmation that the Fostex TH900 will be ready for audition in about a month from my local dealer, and I will definitely have a listen to those beauties when the time comes. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:
Well, there's always the D7000! I have that and the AH-A100, which offers the Denon house sound in a beautiful and portable format.

Though I'm a big fan of the D7K, I'm not sure it's different enough from the D5K to justify the upgrade cost, but I've seen used D7Ks sell used $5-$600.

I used to have the A100s and the D5000s at the same time. And i can verify that the A100s have a better bass than the D5000s. The bass on the A100s is deeper, more solid, more detail and faster than the D5000s. Besides, the A100s emphases on mid-bass(but don't lack sub-bass) and the D5000s emphases on Sub-bass(silightly lack mid-bass).
However i think the D5000s is a higher-end headphone comparing to the A100s because of the rest of freq ranges.

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:
If A100 emphasizes on mid-bass and the Denon on sub-bass, how is the A100's bass deeper?

Well, i anticipated people will ask abt that. But this is all my ears "felt". I said the bass on the D5000s emphasises on sub-bas that means the quantity of the sub-bass is more than the mid-bass. On the contrary, there is slightly more mid-bass than sub-bass on the A100s. And i feel the sub-bass on the D5000s is just a slightly bigger than on the A100s. Besides, according to what i have read abt the battle of the LCD-2s and the He-6s, having more sub-bass does not mean the bass will go deeper. i believe that it has somewhat sense.
The bass on both above Denon models are very very good, but i basically love the A100s bass more.
btw, my new LCD-2 r2 is coming:D i hope their bass also have the vibration and impact of the Denons.
p/s: sorry for my bad English

Users who are viewing this thread

Back