Some impressions on the Stax O2 and HD800 (with Woo GES and WA6SE)
Mar 26, 2011 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

epocs

100+ Head-Fier

So I’ve been quite content with my Sennheiser HD800 + Woo Audio WA6SE setup (with the Meier StageDAC as the source) for a couple months now since I acquired them. This setup has provided me a sound that I feel makes me excited to come home everyday and listen. I had a pair of Denon AH-D7000 and Audeze LCD-2 with me while I had the HD800s and found that to my ears, the HD800 was clearly the superior headphone in terms of details, clarity, soundstage, and ultimate fidelity. So, because I have no need for more than one high end headphone, I sold the rest.

During the Bay Area meet last month, I had a chance to listen to n3rdling’s Omega 2 setup with the Blue Hawaii. This setup blew me away and had me constantly thinking about the O2s from that day on. However, I can’t possibly justify owning an amp as expensive as a Blue Hawaii so I never really thought of that setup being a possibility for me. However, after much deliberation, I decided to go for the O2s anyway (of course on a more humble setup). Looking around, I was able to find a pair of 007A mk2 headphones paired with a Woo Audio GES and so I decided to take the plunge and do a little head-to-head with my HD800 setup.

I asked around to some people to find more information about how the GES->O2 setup would compare to the WA6SE->HD800 setup that I had and interestingly enough, most people (including Jack from Woo himself) said I would probably prefer my HD800 setup as the O2s really need an amp capable of driving them (WES, A10, BHSE, KGSS). Still, I thought I would regret it if I didn’t try the two setups for myself and so when I received the package, I immediately had both of them connected to the StageDAC to do a comparison. Now that I’ve owned both side by side for about a week, I feel like I can post my impressions here for all to see. All my listening was through my computer (320kbp music) hooked through USB to my StageDAC.

Fit/Ergo: Both of these headphones are very comfortable. I would give the edge to the HD800 as the cups are bigger and the cable is lighter/less bulky while still longer. Unlike the LCD-2 though, the O2 is not heavy or uncomfortable in anyway. I would say they are on par with my D7000 in terms of comfort (which I consider very comfortable).

Practicality: Clearly the HD800 is the more practical headphone as it is a dynamic and can be used with an iPod, other setups, and virtually anything that has a headphone plug. The fact that the Stax need to be stationary to this one spot can be a pain in the future, but for now I have no problem as I do all my headphone listening from my computer and use my IEMs or speakers for everything else.

Sound: Here’s obviously where everyone is curious. Let’s just start to say that both of these headphones are extremely different. I feel like most people won’t be able to CLEARLY say that one is better than the other because I think taste will come into factor greatly.

Some of the major differences are:

HD800 has more treble energy (and can be a little more fatiguing), the O2 can seem almost rolled off in that area, but less rolled off than the LCD-2.

O2 also has much more authoritative bass (very satisfying) while the HD800 bass is pretty light.

The soundstage of the HD800 is leaps larger than the O2 as well, but the O2 doesn’t necessarily have a small soundstage.

The artists I listened to while doing this analysis are as followed: John Mayer, Pink Floyd, Diana Krall, Kenny G, Tchaikovsky, Miles Davis, Phoenix, Daft Punk, and Michael Jackson. This makes me believe that I listened to a wide array of music to test the two cans and interestingly, there was a huge difference in my preferences based on music, which made this a hard shootout.

The HD800 has a clarity that I really do like. Maybe because there’s more room in the soundstage or something, but each song you hear out of these cans sounds crystal clear. There’s an air around each and every instrument and voice, and everything can be pinpointed out. The O2 on the other hand still has a great clarity but maybe because the soundstage is more smashed together or the treble is a little recessed, there is more of a liquid sound, which I also really enjoy. Do you want liquidity or airiness in your sound? Each will be a different “good.”

The thing about the O2 though that I truly enjoy is their ability to make all music sound so…. enjoyable and less analytical. The HD800 can seem a bit analytical and I find myself nitpicking things in music while I can sit back with the O2s and just take in the music. The increase in bass also just makes the music seem more satisfactory. I do notice the mid-bass is lifted a little and this is a concern for many folks choosing between the MK1 and MK2, but I think it actually makes the headphones sound more satisfying! Brings out a more full, mellow sound.

With classical, jazz, or anything without too much of that mid bass/ low bass presence, I did seem to enjoy the HD800 more mainly because I think soundstage plays a huge part in that type of music. However with rock or hip hop and electronica, I was willing to sacrifice the soundstage for the more cohesive musicality that the O2 brings. The bass helped of course as well.

One thing is that music sounds more organic and real to me through the Stax some reason. Not that they don’t sound real on the HD800, but there is a fullness to the sound that the O2s bring that make instruments and voices sound more authentic.

Ultimately, I think I actually might enjoy the Stax more than the HD800 when listening to a wide array of music. Though the HD800 is an amazing headphone and pairs extremely well with the WA6SE, I think the O2s just sound more musical and fun to listen to while not being colored enough to make distracting for long term use (unlike D7000). They also don’t have any of the flaws that I associate with the LCD-2 (comfort, build quality, weird resonance). The HD800’s clarity and open soundstage though make it irresistible as well after long periods of time without them.

So I’m still in the process of seeing which system I’ll keep but they both have their ups and downs, making neither perfect. I don’t really plan to upgrade my system for either of these cans so what I hear now is kind of my deciding factor. We’ll see and I’ll keep people posted!

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm interested in your trial with the O2 + GES as I'm looking at getting something later this year to drive a recently acquired pair of O2s.  Would you mind talking a bit about your decision around getting the GES?  The upper level electrostatic amps are also a little out of my price range so your thoughts on the GES and / or other amps you may have looked at would be helpful.  It's a pity you can't keep both as they look pretty cool sitting side by side.

Mar 28, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 11
The O2 really grows on you after a while.  It's the only headphone I've heard that doesn't really have a 'set' soundstage...it can change pretty dramatically from recording to recording.  The imaging/layering is also pretty unique.  If possible, I think it would be a good idea to spend about a month with both before making up your mind.  Glad you're enjoying your setups though. :)

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 11
FWIW, I think that each of the headphones you own scale tremendously with the gear you run it with. I think you'll probably be happy keeping either one, then eventually upgrading the rest of your signal chain down the road. My biggest takeaway from the last mini-meet is that source and amplification really matter more than you think. IMO, once you break about the $400 price point on headphones the source and amplification really start to matter. 9 times out of 10 I'd much rather have an HD600 out of a great amp than a HD800 out of one that is "just ok."

Still, I hope I get a chance to hear the Stax and the Woo 6 before you part with either of them. Hopefully you, me and Horio can meet up at some point in the near future.

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Don't forget about the mids.

I personally felt the O2 had a much better mid range reproduction.

Yes, sorry I didn't include more information on the mids. I think the mids aren't necessarily better on the O2 but they are definitely a completely different approach. The O2s I have present the mids in a very forward fashion, making sure to pop vocals out and bring the music right at you. However, they do sound more fleshed out and organic compared to the HD800. The HD800 has very great midrange reproduction as well though. I think the mids on the HD800 are deliciously portrayed, being encapsulated perfectly in a large soundstage and being not as forward-sounding. The flaws of the HD800 are more noteworthy in the bass or treble but I enjoy the mids of these cans greatly.

Quote:
I'm interested in your trial with the O2 + GES as I'm looking at getting something later this year to drive a recently acquired pair of O2s.  Would you mind talking a bit about your decision around getting the GES?  The upper level electrostatic amps are also a little out of my price range so your thoughts on the GES and / or other amps you may have looked at would be helpful.  It's a pity you can't keep both as they look pretty cool sitting side by side.

I actually got the GES because it was paired with the O2s that were being sold, it wasn't necessarily my first choice. However, I do think that this amp is great. I usually play it at between 11 and 2 o clock on the volume pot. I've had experience with the Blue Hawaii and the 717 before and I can't quite compare side to side but I can tell you that the Blue Hawaii was hands down better. As to whether its worth the price, well that's up to you. With regards to the 717, I can't say that the 717 brought any more satisfaction to me than this GES is. The only thing about the GES that I think could probably be improved are the highs. I feel like there is a bit of a roll off in the treble and I wish that were removed. I'd say definitely consider a GES, the O2s sound wonderful out of them.

Tmoney and Horio, yes hopefully I still have both of these systems so we can meet and do a little showdown. I am not advertising my selling of either system heavily at the moment so I can keep on to these for a little while longer and be a better judge of which set is better to me. I think n3rdling might be right that I should hold onto both for about a month before deciding.

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 11
Very nice writeup. I can't comment on the O2 because I don't remember what they sound like from the meet. Your HD800 and Woo setup was what got me to buy the HD800, again. That speaks a lot about how great that combo is.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 11
So after much deliberation, looks like I decided to keep the Stax.

Though I will definitely miss the large soundstage and ultimate clarity of the HD800s, the Stax sound just seems kind of irresistible.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #10 of 11
Awesome review. I enjoyed it thoroughly and I have to say the impressions of both match mine. (owned HD800s, heard the O2MK1 at meets, though from a different amp).

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
So after much deliberation, looks like I decided to keep the Stax.

Though I will definitely miss the large soundstage and ultimate clarity of the HD800s, the Stax sound just seems kind of irresistible.

Good choice =) Hopefully I can join you soon in audio bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back