Softears - Discussion & Appreciation
Feb 17, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #993 of 1,593
Output impedance. The physical size of the amp does not matter. Youd have to look up the OI impedance specs to find an answer. Lower is better with Volume.

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #995 of 1,593
Volumes bass is not light, in fact its a real thick boy. Actually, the BE coated driver is freakin boss! It can go from a 32hz drone bass note to silence and back in the blink of an eye. No bloat, in fact I'd say it could be TOTL level bass. TIGHT and deep.
I know you love the RSV, I do too! How does the Volume signature compare to the RSV?

Feb 18, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #996 of 1,593
@wizzman121 Volume is definitely a more 'fun' tuning. Bass and treble both have more energy than the RSV and I would say are the star of the show vs the mids. It has a more wide tuning (vs rsv) with more overt OCD details. So it would be considered more V shaped than RSV. I can enjoy a good V shape and that is exactly what we have here.

Feb 18, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #997 of 1,593
Feb 18, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #999 of 1,593
What about this ugly 3k peak ?
I wouldn't call that a peak, man. As @redrol mentioned, looks like standard pinna gain. There is a peak at 8.5k that might suck for rock drums, but I'd need to hear it.

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #1,000 of 1,593
To comment on the tonality side. From my perception so far listening to the Volume, the overall tone sounds a bit on the colder side. But it's not dry or too analytical like the RS10. The leaner lower-mids side may give off the impression that it's lacking in warmth, but the note foundation is solid and there, provided by the DD in the bass frequency. The bass is tight and punchy, very well-controlled and layered along with the rest of the sound. Tonally accurate and realistic for drums and most bass instruments. But for wooden instruments which requres more warmth to sound natural, the upper-bass to lower-mids region may require more energy to sound fuller and lush. This is found while trying out from a relatively neutral source, so impressions may vary especially if you try the Volume on a warmer tube-like players such as the Shanling M8, which I reckon would make for a great pairing :) The bass is DD-like in character, and exhibits a good portrayal of most bassy instruments. Especially good in its attack department, and speed dispersing neatly throughout the stage

Upper-mids to my ears sounded still the most prominent compared to the rest of the frequency. And second to that is the lower to mid-treble area. YMMV of course, but to my ears the treble doesn't sound annoyingly harsh or sibilant. Despite the treble being on the brighter side, rather than the dimmer or dull, the general brightness to the whole presentation I hear seems provided mainly by the upper-mids. The treble definitely has some energy and compounds to that though, but it's not the primary. And it doesn't come across as excessive due to its smooth decrease and more reduced energy leading to the upper-treble region, balancing things out

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #1,001 of 1,593
Hello Softears fellows. Any suggestion for comfortable silicone tips for RSV? Thank you!

Feb 19, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #1,002 of 1,593
Feb 20, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #1,003 of 1,593
Volume has a larger interaction with Output impedance than I wish it had. From what I can tell, lower is better. That is all for now.
Here is what it sounds like to me with different sources. ES100 and Q5K sound similar, light on bass, and overly sharp. TRI TK2 adds a very noticeable amount of bass and balance. Still, this is a fun set, so that bass level is going to be up there for some folks. I love it though.

graph (7).png

Feb 20, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #1,004 of 1,593
Here is what it sounds like to me with different sources. ES100 and Q5K sound similar, light on bass, and overly sharp. TRI TK2 adds a very noticeable amount of bass and balance. Still, this is a fun set, so that bass level is going to be up there for some folks. I love it though.

graph (7).png

Nice info!

Yeah with a 5 ohm impedance on the Softear Volume, it ideally needs a source with < 0.625 ohm output impedance, as per the rules of eights. Otherwise on other sources, the FR will be skewed. Not sure many folks will have an ideal source to pair with this set.

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #1,005 of 1,593

I have the TRI TK2 , but I didn't heard it increase the bass with my iems. Do you hear it too, or just see it in the graph ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back