Softears - Discussion & Appreciation
Jun 5, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #437 of 1,610
DSC08615.jpg

My review of the Softears RSV is up on my blog:
https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/softears-reference-sound-five-rsv-review-19a0c0dd04d1
Wonderful IEM, but falls short compared to the Moondrop S8 in the areas that matter most to me. I see it as a complementary pair rather than an improvement or replacement. Comfort was also not great for me.

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #438 of 1,610
How is S8 compared to RSV?

Jun 5, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #440 of 1,610
@jibberish amazing review and S8 would be interesting even compared with IT07.
RSV has a very natural sound and a special BA tuning, I think i’d like also S8 because is complementary but owing IT07….

Jun 5, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #441 of 1,610
The S8 is indeed technically superior. I have heard Moondrop Blessing 2, S8, KXXS and Softears RSV, RS10, Cerberus, Turii. The house sounds of these two brands are unmistakable. Moondrop has a “wet”, “liquid” sound, and the stage is more out of the head, great for portraying believable stage performances. But I always find them a little colored. The Softears has less of a house flavor, it is more coherent, more true to the real thing and less colored to my ears. Music sound more direct and has a more correct timbre and tonality, and also more meat to the bone. Personally I prefer the Softears. I like all their iems: RSV, RS10, Cerberus, Turii.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #442 of 1,610
RSV was much better than the A8 or S8 for me.
But I always find them a little colored. The Softears has less of a house flavor, it is more coherent, more true to the real thing and less colored to my ears. Music sound more direct and has a more correct timbre and tonality, and also more meat to the bone.

Me too and if this isnt technicities, I have no idea what is.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #444 of 1,610
Hopping on the hype train with some first impressions of the RSV, pretty shocked by these!

DSC01289.jpg

3D printed build is lovely, smooth and comfy, no complaints. As a car buff, loving the sporty aesthetic. Sonically, the key to the RSV is that it is simultaneously ultra-linear and balanced yet also muscular and dynamic in its note delivery. These are fundamentally a buffed Blessing 2 to my ears but also so much more given the upgrades all around. It fixes my tonal complaints with the upper-midrange intensity and lower-treble brightness, the RSV has a more robust sub-bass as well despite the lack of DD.

Soft Ears RSV (black) vs Blessing 2 (blue).png

The many small changes really add up to create a noticeably more inviting monitor to listen to. The very tasteful bass boost means this is no less versatile than any other reference monitor I've listened to. On a micro-scale, the detail retrieval and imaging acuity are clearly a step up from the B2 to suit its higher price class. If your preference is for a balanced sound, the RSV is pretty hard not to justify if within your budget. For those concerned it won't satisfy your bass cravings given the reference nature, I think you will be pleasantly surprised as well :)

Full impressions and measurements here.

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #447 of 1,610
Hi my friends!
SoftEars CERBERUS :wink:

DSCF5497_2.jpg

Jun 14, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #448 of 1,610
Amazing Pic!!!

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #449 of 1,610
Jun 15, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #450 of 1,610
Switched the ZX300 to not play DSD natively so it converts to PCM and EQ’d for bass and holy poops the RSV hits deep bass incredibly well. My respect for this iem is immense. This is just a killer all around set w no compromises

Users who are viewing this thread

Back