Softears - Discussion & Appreciation
Mar 24, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #227 of 1,593
While preparing my review, I have requested the product descriptions from Softears, so now I have more info to share. (Though to me, Softears is still kind of mysterious and there's a lot I could not figure out.) Anyway, I think it is worth updating the first post. The original post is hidden beneath a spoiler-tag below.

About the company

Softears was founded in late 2017, but the big reveal, namely two high-end flagships called "RS10" and "Cerberus" were only announced in 2018. These are two very different CIEM flagships.

I first noticed Softears on WeiBo or WeChat because the founder of MoonDrop was sharing their content and reveal. As confirmed by MoonDrop in the posts below, there is a relationship between the two companies.

At this point, I know nothing about the founder or owner of Softears. Is it funded by another party? Is there a lead designer? Is the founder an engineer that has a past in developing studio monitors? (The last one is a wild guess by me, based on a feeling I had while translating the product information.)
FYI, I learned to read, write and speak Mandarin. I worked for a Chinese company years ago and I lived there for a year. But my Chinese has become quite rusty and I have to use software to check if my written Chinese messages are correct. My username is misleading. When i joined Head-Fi, I was into Kung Fu movies - never thought I'd stick in the community for already 12 years... Sorry for my wallet.

Anyway, here are some bold guesses from me based on some product information and comments I picked up on WeiBo. I think the founder or CTO has a history in designing drivers. Cerberus hints at such a history. But this could also be in regards to loudspeakers - I sense there seems to be a lot of interest in studio speakers - maybe only based on education? @MOONDROP If you can link me up with the founder, I'd like to prepare some interview questions and share the Softears story.

Now, to their quickly growing yet still manageable product overview:

1. RS10 (REFERENCE SOUND 10)

I guess this is probably the big hitter and Softear's showcase design. A really popular IEM that is considered to be near-perfect in every way. Softears is not without competition, though. There are other Chinese high-end brands. But this one gets a lot of praise.
  • complex 5-way design with 10 BA drivers
  • linear-tuned frequency response with sub-bass boost
  • flat impedance
  • near-linear acoustic phase
  • available as custom or universal-fit
  • built-in pressure relief through passive speakers (not counted towards driver count)
  • quite power-hungry for an IEM
  • price around 2,000 - 2,200 USD

2. CERBERUS

Softears seems to know that not everybody is into "reference sound" and released the Cerberus at the same time. A fancy hybrid with 2 electrostatic tweeters for high frequencies, 4 exclusive BA for the midrange and a self-developed 10mm dynamic driver made of carbon fiber with paper dome.
  • 3-way hybrid design with 2EST+4BA+1DD
  • "powerful and rich" sounding
  • built-in pressure relief (see RS10)
  • better pack out your high-end DAP for this power-hungry IEM
  • low impedance (5Ω)

3. TURII

"Twist your ears" is the slogan for this bold design. It's a single dynamic high-end universal IEM which is an incredible showcase. Magnetic flux is rated at 1.6T but the special part is that the magnet is isolated in a brass chamber and directs the force through a pole? (Do I even make sense?) The wild design of a twisted rectangular housing is because of a complex resonance absorbing chamber with 7 air vents. The product description hints at a history in loudspeaker design.
  • single high-end dynamic driver with PEEK suspension and DLC diaphragm
  • universal-fit
  • natural sound
  • separated magnetic coil with a flux of 1.6T
  • price around 1,300 - 1,500 USD
As I have this model for review, I can only say "hot damn"! Yes, it sounds incredibly natural! The tuning is neutral with a touch of warmth and an evenly elevated bass. The Turii sings. It sounds so liquid and highly detailed at the same time! Hands down, best single dynamic I have yet heard.

4. RSV (REFERENCE SOUND 5)

Drawing attention with solely unaffordable IEM is not easy. So Softears realized they could use a more competitively priced showcase model. It shares the design philosophy of the RS10 with one major difference: efficiency.
  • 3-way design with 5 BA
  • neutral tuning with an enhanced low-end
  • universal-fit (also available as custom-fit?)
  • linear-phase
  • high efficiency (8Ω, 125dB/1VRMS)
  • handmade with gold foil and carbon splitter faceplate
  • around 730 - 800 USD
I have this IEM in my ears right now, the tuning is exceptional. For an all-BA design, I would consider it near-perfect – the closets to my personal HRTF I have ever experienced. Coincidence? Or are Softears geniuses? They definitely have proven that they know what they are doing.

Bonus: Turboo

Softears Turboo is a 2-pin 0.78 connection high-end cable designed for the Turii. Of course it is compatible with other IEMs as well. Pure silver litz, swapable terminations (3.5mm, BAL-2.5mm, BAL-4.4mm).

To be honest, I don't know much about Softears myself. Their reach outside China is still limited. I know they are a very young company and the brand just entered the market late 2018. Apparently their founder was an influential reviewer himself. That could explain the connection that the company has to MoonDrop. Both companies are situated in Chengdu (or close to there) and some rumors say they share some of the R&D and resources. Somebody claimed Softears were the manufacturer. I have no official information about any of that, though. Just some fractured comments and rumors that I have picked up on WeiBo.

Softears has a highly appreciated flagship called RS10. RS is an abbreviation for "Reference Sound" and the number 10 indicates the BA driver count per side. From what I've been told, the RS10 hits the Harman-target on the head. Reviews suggest the RS10 is all kinds of awesome, though the warmer Cerberus, a 3-way design with a dynamic low-end, is easier to get into. Both custom in-ear-monitors are priced at around 13.000 CNY or the equivalent of 2.000 EUR. From my outside perspective it seems as if Softears managed to present themselves and be accepted as a high-end branch of the Chinese manufacturing community.

At the end of 2019 Softears reveiled the Turii, a high-end single dynamic universal at 9.000 CNY ~ 1.400 EUR. Very recently, they also released their fourth product, a more affordable RSV or RS5. ( I can't recall, but I think RSV is priced around ~ 800 EUR after import tax.) It features a lower driver count, but the same design philosophy and coherency as the RS10.

I have the Turii and RSV here right now and I am thoroughly impressed. I will be sharing more impressions, comparisons and measurements soon. Personally, I think the Turii needs to be mentioned alongside final A8000 and DUNU Luna. It's really all kinds of awesome for a single dynamic driver.
And in regards to the RSV I think the "Reference Sound" name is very suitable. That tuning is scarily accurate, IMO. Again, more on that later.

_KE10291.jpg_KE10296-Bearbeitet.jpg_KE10298.jpg_KE10300.jpg_KE10301.jpg_KE10304-Bearbeitet.jpg_KE10307-Bearbeitet.jpg
While preparing my review, I have requested the product descriptions from Softears, so now I have more info to share. (Though to me, Softears is still kind of mysterious and there's a lot I could not figure out.) Anyway, I think it is worth updating the first post. The original post is hidden beneath a spoiler-tag below.

About the company

Softears was founded in late 2017, but the big reveal, namely two high-end flagships called "RS10" and "Cerberus" were only announced in 2018. These are two very different CIEM flagships.

I first noticed Softears on WeiBo or WeChat because the founder of MoonDrop was sharing their content and reveal. As confirmed by MoonDrop in the posts below, there is a relationship between the two companies.

At this point, I know nothing about the founder or owner of Softears. Is it funded by another party? Is there a lead designer? Is the founder an engineer that has a past in developing studio monitors? (The last one is a wild guess by me, based on a feeling I had while translating the product information.)
FYI, I learned to read, write and speak Mandarin. I worked for a Chinese company years ago and I lived there for a year. But my Chinese has become quite rusty and I have to use software to check if my written Chinese messages are correct. My username is misleading. When i joined Head-Fi, I was into Kung Fu movies - never thought I'd stick in the community for already 12 years... Sorry for my wallet.

Anyway, here are some bold guesses from me based on some product information and comments I picked up on WeiBo. I think the founder or CTO has a history in designing drivers. Cerberus hints at such a history. But this could also be in regards to loudspeakers - I sense there seems to be a lot of interest in studio speakers - maybe only based on education? @MOONDROP If you can link me up with the founder, I'd like to prepare some interview questions and share the Softears story.

Now, to their quickly growing yet still manageable product overview:

1. RS10 (REFERENCE SOUND 10)

I guess this is probably the big hitter and Softear's showcase design. A really popular IEM that is considered to be near-perfect in every way. Softears is not without competition, though. There are other Chinese high-end brands. But this one gets a lot of praise.
  • complex 5-way design with 10 BA drivers
  • linear-tuned frequency response with sub-bass boost
  • flat impedance
  • near-linear acoustic phase
  • built-in pressure relief through passive speakers (not counted towards driver count)
  • quite power-hungry for an IEM

2. CERBERUS

Softears seems to know that not everybody is into "reference sound" and released the Cerberus at the same time. A fancy hybrid with 2 electrostatic tweeters for high frequencies, 4 exclusive BA for the midrange and a self-developed 10mm dynamic driver made of carbon fiber with paper dome.
  • 3-way hybrid design with 2EST+4BA+1DD
  • "powerful and rich" sounding
  • built-in pressure relief (see RS10)
  • better pack out your high-end DAP for this power-hungry IEM
  • low impedance (5Ω)

3. TURII

"Twist your ears" is the slogan for this bold design. It's a single dynamic high-end universal IEM which is an incredible showcase. Magnetic flux is rated at 1.6T but the special part is that the magnet is isolated in a brass chamber and directs the force through a pole? (Do I even make sense?) The wild design of a twisted rectangular housing is because of a complex resonance absorbing chamber with 7 air vents. The product description hints at a history in loudspeaker design.
  • single high-end dynamic driver with PEEK suspension and DLC diaphragm
  • universal-fit
  • natural sound
  • separated magnetic coil with a flux of 1.6T
  • price around 1,300 - 1,500 USD
As I have this model for review, I can only say "hot damn"! Yes, it sounds incredibly natural! The tuning is neutral with a touch of warmth and an evenly elevated bass. The Turii sings. It sounds so liquid and highly detailed at the same time! Hands down, best single dynamic I have yet heard.

4. RSV (REFERENCE SOUND 5)

Drawing attention with solely unaffordable IEM is not easy. So Softears realized they could use a more competitively priced showcase model. It shares the design philosophy of the RS10 with one major difference: efficiency.
  • 3-way design with 5 BA
  • neutral tuning with an enhanced low-end
  • universal-fit (also available as custom-fit?)
  • linear-phase
  • high efficiency (8Ω, 125dB/1VRMS)
  • handmade with gold foil and carbon splitter faceplate
  • around 730 - 800 USD
I have this IEM in my ears right now, the tuning is exceptional. For an all-BA design, I would consider it near-perfect – the closets to my personal HRTF I have ever experienced. Coincidence? Or are Softears geniuses? They definitely have proven that they know what they are doing.

Bonus: Turboo

Softears Turboo is a 2-pin 0.78 connection high-end cable designed for the Turii. Of course it is compatible with other IEMs as well. Pure silver litz, swapable terminations (3.5mm, BAL-2.5mm, BAL-4.4mm).

To be honest, I don't know much about Softears myself. Their reach outside China is still limited. I know they are a very young company and the brand just entered the market late 2018. Apparently their founder was an influential reviewer himself. That could explain the connection that the company has to MoonDrop. Both companies are situated in Chengdu (or close to there) and some rumors say they share some of the R&D and resources. Somebody claimed Softears were the manufacturer. I have no official information about any of that, though. Just some fractured comments and rumors that I have picked up on WeiBo.

Softears has a highly appreciated flagship called RS10. RS is an abbreviation for "Reference Sound" and the number 10 indicates the BA driver count per side. From what I've been told, the RS10 hits the Harman-target on the head. Reviews suggest the RS10 is all kinds of awesome, though the warmer Cerberus, a 3-way design with a dynamic low-end, is easier to get into. Both custom in-ear-monitors are priced at around 13.000 CNY or the equivalent of 2.000 EUR. From my outside perspective it seems as if Softears managed to present themselves and be accepted as a high-end branch of the Chinese manufacturing community.

At the end of 2019 Softears reveiled the Turii, a high-end single dynamic universal at 9.000 CNY ~ 1.400 EUR. Very recently, they also released their fourth product, a more affordable RSV or RS5. ( I can't recall, but I think RSV is priced around ~ 800 EUR after import tax.) It features a lower driver count, but the same design philosophy and coherency as the RS10.

I have the Turii and RSV here right now and I am thoroughly impressed. I will be sharing more impressions, comparisons and measurements soon. Personally, I think the Turii needs to be mentioned alongside final A8000 and DUNU Luna. It's really all kinds of awesome for a single dynamic driver.
And in regards to the RSV I think the "Reference Sound" name is very suitable. That tuning is scarily accurate, IMO. Again, more on that later.

_KE10291.jpg_KE10296-Bearbeitet.jpg_KE10298.jpg_KE10300.jpg_KE10301.jpg_KE10304-Bearbeitet.jpg_KE10307-Bearbeitet.jpg
Can I ask you if you could compare the flagship IEM of Softears to the Oriolus Traillii that I use for example ?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ori...iscussion-thread.956460/page-33#post-16255935
We have a whole thread about this (also) Chinese produced IEM (with Japanese marketing wrapping or something).

Fact is, that the Traillii community if which I am also part of love that IEM, complain a little bit about the price and seek regularily if there is any contender.
So far only the Vision Ears Earlkoenig was mentioned as a potential contender for the No1 rank IEM of the best of best list - therefore I am curious to know if the RS10 is on the similar level (below, on paar, above...).
Any thoughts ?

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #228 of 1,593
Mar 24, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #229 of 1,593
Can someone please comment what is the size of the Turii?

I've always was interested in single DD IEMs, but recently decided I want a CIEM. Now maybe not, but all depends if the Turii would actually fit my small ears.

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #231 of 1,593
OK crin note on all series of softears is up.
https://crinacle.com/2021/03/25/crinnotes-softears-lineup-overview-opulence/

It seems the review units didn't hit his spots except for RSV and Turii.
Always interesting to see/read what he has to say and I am almost shocked every time I see how much we agree. Anyway, I'm adding my two cents.

1. RSV
I just now noticed how close my target is to his. We seem to agree that this is an incredibly well-tuned IEM and possibly the best at its price. That is not even considering the build, cable, accessories, etc.

2. Turii
Again, we both agree that Turii is the best single DD yet. That's quite an achievement and I am happy to see somebody agrees with me. I guess that's 2/2 who have heard it around here. However, I rate the Turii even higher as I think the extension, soundstage, cohesion and speed are better than of many multi-BA designs.

Cerberus
Haven't heard it.

3. RS10
Quite a bit puzzled how he does not hear how the passive driver comes into play. RS10 has by far the best technical sub-bass I have ever experienced! It makes everything enjoyable without fatigue. I do also agree that the tuning of RSV is slightly superior, but technically the RS10 is a beast that's at least a tier above. BTW, I also have the Gemini and can compare directly, which he awarded with an S rank.

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #232 of 1,593
Always interesting to see/read what he has to say and I am almost shocked every time I see how much we agree. Anyway, I'm adding my two cents.

1. RSV
I just now noticed how close my target is to his. We seem to agree that this is an incredibly well-tuned IEM and possibly the best at its price. That is not even considering the build, cable, accessories, etc.

2. Turii
Again, we both agree that Turii is the best single DD yet. That's quite an achievement and I am happy to see somebody agrees with me. I guess that's 2/2 who have heard it around here. However, I rate the Turii even higher as I think the extension, soundstage, cohesion and speed are better than of many multi-BA designs.

Cerberus
Haven't heard it.

3. RS10
Quite a bit puzzled how he does not hear how the passive driver comes into play. RS10 has by far the best technical sub-bass I have ever experienced! It makes everything enjoyable without fatigue. I do also agree that the tuning of RSV is slightly superior, but technically the RS10 is a beast that's at least a tier above. BTW, I also have the Gemini and can compare directly, which he awarded with an S rank.
Right-o, it is quite a statement from a very critical reviewer for RSV as one of best sub kilo buck IEM among Monarch/clairvoyance, and moondrop’s own S8.

Mar 25, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #233 of 1,593
Right-o, it is quite a statement from a very critical reviewer for RSV as one of best sub kilo buck IEM among Monarch/clairvoyance, and moondrop’s own S8.
Now I just need your opinion on the Mest Mk2,
I feel like I need to hide my wallet,

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #234 of 1,593
will be posting on MEST thread next Monday, I need a good weekend for conduct extensive A-Bing for iems.

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #235 of 1,593
AliExpress (chinese shopping platform for international customers) celebrating 11th anniversary on march 29th and several shops offering then 3% discount like on SoftEars products.
Probably will order the Turii then since actual exchange rate US$ - € is :weary:

@HuoYuanJia

Based on your Turii sample unit pictures it came with the Turboo cable, do you also got the standard one and can say something about both build qualities ?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #236 of 1,593
Burn In started , will be listening tomorrow to both. RSV Left and UM MKII Right

16166886225031578366328876946715.jpg

Mar 25, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #237 of 1,593
@HuoYuanJia

Based on your Turii sample unit pictures it came with the Turboo cable, do you also got the standard one and can say something about both build qualities ?
No. That’s my DUNU Blanche cable. (I really love that cable!)

You probably mean the Turboo upgrade cable for Turii. I heard it was a limited run and is out of production already.

The Turii sample came with an RSV cable. The original black one was also not available. I was told they are updating the packaging and accessories for their international launch. Sorry, I really don’t know more than that. New cable, but everything else is unknown to me 😅 Probably worth waiting though and not to jump on a 3% discount.

Mar 25, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #238 of 1,593
Updates: Friend 1 that got RSV, said bass low, got Comply tips, chopped in half, and now gets a good seal and plenty of bass

Friend 2 got RSV and said its probably the best IEM he has ever heard including many hits like EJ07 and S8F.

This is the real deal imo. Hype.. whatever, this is going to be one for the books.

Mar 25, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #239 of 1,593
@HuoYuanJia
Would you say the RS10 compares to anything else you have heard? You say the techs are above the RSV which I consider REALLY good... I don't hear it having say worse tech than the MEST but just a different tuning. I've currently got 4 est treble IEMs and I just think the RSV can match their treble mojo.

Mar 26, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #240 of 1,593
Hi friends!
Take me to your ranks of Softears lovers! Just got my SRV and SR10. I only listened to SR10, but quite a bit. But I can definitely say that I like it! SRV hasn't even opened the box yet. I'm a little busy now, later I will study these interesting IEMs in detail and write a review about them.
By the way, I noticed that the SR10 needs a good amplifier.
So far, a few photos.
From Russia with love!

DSCF4079.jpg

DSCF4081.jpg

DSCF4082.jpg

DSCF4091.jpg

DSCF4073.jpg
DSCF4084.jpg

DSCF4087.jpg

DSCF4090.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread