Softears - Discussion & Appreciation
Mar 19, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #196 of 1,593
Yea, if it pars with anole vx in terms of technicalities, and par or surpass RSV in terms of crazy liner phasing, it will be a very tempting one with softears reference sound philosophy endorsed.

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #197 of 1,593
Measurement time! This time with the Softears RS10.

Raw, uncompensated frequency response curve from an IEC 60318-4

softears_rs10.png

Output is a pre-release final prototype of an upcoming high-end DAC. Output is < 0.08 Ω.
The dotted line is how you will see the graph posted by Crin, probably. However, it is wrong. The RS10 has a long nozzle and has a deep fit. I actually located my resonance with the default ear tips at 9.6 kHz, so even deeper as shown here. RS10 is a custom-fit design first, I expect that resonance to shift even a bit higher. So the blue curve is more accurate, IMHO.

That sub-bass is.... just wow! It's really a subwoofer compensation. Addicting! The bass texture is still amazing and not lacking, which was my initial fear.
The pinnae compensation at 10dB is pretty much the maximum of what I allow. Quite happy the RS10 isn't crossing the line. Close one.
Treble isn't overdone one bit. Most cymbals are quite far in the background. The 6 kHz dip is probably causing dryness, what I described as faded or muted at first. I actually like 6k dips a lot and I know a few designers create these on purpose.

If you ever wondered what a high-end Etymotic would sound like, this is it! This is studio sound tweaked to the max.

RS10 vs InEar ProPhile 8

softears_rs10_pp8.png

RS10 is indeed a bit more shouty, but PP8's treble can also cause fatigue. The biggest difference is probably around the 6 kHz area. The PP8 pushes clarity and has a sharper treble sound. RS10 doesn't have that forward splash of cymbals.

RS10 vs Gemini

softears_rs10_gemini.png

This Gemini is the CIEM matched to my hearing, that's why the resonance is so high up. Though the bass curve is quite similar, the RS10 owns the Gemini for sub-bass. There is much bigger impact and present rumble.

RS10 vs A8000

softears_rs10_a8000.png

RS10 is not a bright earphone. I am now really curious to see how the final dampening filters work with the RS10.

RS10 vs tia Fourté

softears_rs10_fourté.png

The Fourté definitely has more of that wow-factor. RS10 is the opposite and is quite boring at first. It took me quite a few sessions to finally get goose-bumps.

RS10 vs Thummim

softears_rs10_thummim.png

No comment.

RS10 vs Turii

softears_rs10_turii.png

These two IEM sound so much more different than the curves can possibly express. It's not just the warmth, the presentation is almost flipped.

RS10 vs RSV

softears_rs10_rsv.png

If you are watching this thread, I am very sorry to say this: You need both!

Finally, put against my own HRTF target.

softears_rs10_target.png

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #198 of 1,593
Measurement time! This time with the Softears RS10.

Raw, uncompensated frequency response curve from an IEC 60318-4

Output is a pre-release final prototype of an upcoming high-end DAC. Output is < 0.08 Ω.
The dotted line is how you will see the graph posted by Crin, probably. However, it is wrong. The RS10 has a long nozzle and has a deep fit. I actually located my resonance with the default ear tips at 9.6 kHz, so even deeper as shown here. RS10 is a custom-fit design first, I expect that resonance to shift even a bit higher. So the blue curve is more accurate, IMHO.

That sub-bass is.... just wow! It's really a subwoofer compensation. Addicting! The bass texture is still amazing and not lacking, which was my initial fear.
The pinnae compensation at 10dB is pretty much the maximum of what I allow. Quite happy the RS10 isn't crossing the line. Close one.
Treble isn't overdone one bit. Most cymbals are quite far in the background. The 6 kHz dip is probably causing dryness, what I described as faded or muted at first. I actually like 6k dips a lot and I know a few designers create these on purpose.

If you ever wondered what a high-end Etymotic would sound like, this is it! This is studio sound tweaked to the max.

RS10 vs InEar ProPhile 8

RS10 is indeed a bit more shouty, but PP8's treble can also cause fatigue. The biggest difference is probably around the 6 kHz area. The PP8 pushes clarity and has a sharper treble sound. RS10 doesn't have that forward splash of cymbals.

RS10 vs Gemini

This Gemini is the CIEM matched to my hearing, that's why the resonance is so high up. Though the bass curve is quite similar, the RS10 owns the Gemini for sub-bass. There is much bigger impact and present rumble.

RS10 vs A8000

RS10 is not a bright earphone.

RS10 vs tia Fourté

The Fourté definitely has more of that wow-factor. RS10 is the opposite and is quite boring at first. It took me quite a few sessions to finally get goose-bumps.

RS10 vs Thummim

No comment.

RS10 vs Turii

These two IEM sound so much more different than the curves can possibly express. It's not just the warmth, the presentation is almost flipped.

Finally, put against my own HRTF target.
your image placement its a bit confusing,
it should be like this:

- Title
- Images
- Description

example:

Title: RS10 vs RSV

Description: If you are watching this thread, I am very sorry to say this: You need both!

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #199 of 1,593
it should be like this: [...]
You are right. It was a lot of work so I should also make sure it's easy to read.

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #200 of 1,593
@HuoYuanJia SUPER interesting and thank you for all that amazing information.

I find that sets that might seem boring at first do a ton better later. And vice versa, the wow sets turn into a big no in a few days.

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #201 of 1,593
it should be like this:

- Title
- Images
- Description

example:

Title: RS10 vs RSV

Description: If you are watching this thread, I am very sorry to say this: You need both!
I see! It’s a bit fuller than RSV on Mid-highs, looking forward for full review!

Mar 21, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #202 of 1,593
I have Luxury Precision W1. Is it suitable with sensitive iem like RSV ?

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #204 of 1,593
@Softears any plans for flagship updates? QDC just announced it’s renewal of flagship Anole VX to Anole V14, maybe about a time for RS14?

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #205 of 1,593
@Softears any plans for flagship updates? QDC just announced it’s renewal of flagship Anole VX to Anole V14, maybe about a time for RS14?
What id personally like is the RSV as is with an extra 10mm DD for subbass lows.. just a bit. puuuuurfect!

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #206 of 1,593
What id personally like is the RSV as is with an extra 10mm DD for subbass lows.. just a bit. puuuuurfect!
Dual DD like Z1R😆 or JHA’s new challenges on multi-DD “JH Audio Jolene is their new flagship hybrid 4-way, 12 element in-ear monitor featuring a 2 x 2 dynamic driver and 8 balanced armature driver configuration”

The liner phase coherence is the main factor so EST or DD maybe a challenging topic in terms of liner phasing, but still I have a hope that Softears/moondrop engineers are capable enough.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #207 of 1,593
1. Except for me, I don't think hardly anyone outside of Asia had a chance to listen to the RS10 flagship yet. It definitely doesn't need a refresh yet.
2. Softears already has an EST model (Cerberus). I think it's great if every company tries their luck with the EST, but one model should be enough.
3. Please let's not continue the driver count war! 🙂 I think what Softears could need in the next 1-2 years is something priced between RSV and Turii at 999 € or equivalent (799 USD). I guess the challenge will be to beat their own RSV. Just from driver matching and tuning, I don't think it's even possible. 😬 Maybe if they add a passive driver...

BTW, what do you guys think, should I update my Gemini to an Anole V14? 🤔

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #208 of 1,593
RS10 looks SO nice. That is one pro looking iem. I want it very much.

On a related note, the RSV is now my No1 iem. Surpassing everything i've ever heard. It may not beat x iem in a single category but it does beat them all when you take the entire signature as a cohesive sound.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #209 of 1,593
Mar 22, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #210 of 1,593
RS10 looks SO nice. That is one pro looking iem. I want it very much.

On a related note, the RSV is now my No1 iem. Surpassing everything i've ever heard. It may not beat x iem in a single category but it does beat them all when you take the entire signature as a cohesive sound.
I agree, in terms of cohesive sound, nothing pars so far, Monarch is no exception.

As for monarch I take it as “extremely resolving 2 way 2ch speakers, with great imaging capabilities, specialized in EDM and full orchestral ” but it’s far from RSV’s “mark levinson’s 7.1ch 17 speakers reference 3D surrounding” It’s a different game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back