SoCal meet? Anyone interested?
Dec 21, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #63 of 133
hm, I've never thought about hosting at school. Quite an interesting idea, I don't know how easy it would be to get clearance for use in the dorm rooms. I'm sure there's some way to apply to rent a room in some building on campus. I'll try asking around when the quarter starts.

Dec 21, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #64 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hosting at UCI would be awesome. Provided you can get a place, that would be a great premises to meet up at.

~G

Unfortunately I don't go to school at UCI, but I do know a few people that go there. I don't know any freshies though, so not sure if I'll be able to be of much help. I know UCI and the student commons is student under construction, from the last time I was there (last year).

I do go to school at UCR and we have a recently constructed student commons with brand new rooms we could use. Imagine rooms 3-4 times of the studio that the last SoCal meet that 909 put on was at. I could probably get bigger rooms, if we move the partition. I should also have access to projectors if headphoneus supremeus folks want to give the noobs presentations or perhaps manufacturer reps might want to give workshops. I know Riverside is a bit of a drive and not really in the nicest of areas, no offense to anyone that lives in Riverside, but the campus is in a pretty safe area and the use of the facilities would be FREE if we go through my student org. There is also plenty of outlets, but I might need people to bring their own extension cords and power strips. It's about an hr drive from LA, 45-50 mins from the OC. Everyone could probably pitch in a few dollars for light refreshments or drinks.

Let me know what you think or if anyone has any other updates for locations. I mean a hotel ballroom would be nice, but usually we have to pay unless someone has connections. Some hotels might be able to let you use a ballroom, but you would have to pay for a $20 lunch/person.

Dec 21, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #65 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hm, I've never thought about hosting at school. Quite an interesting idea, I don't know how easy it would be to get clearance for use in the dorm rooms. I'm sure there's some way to apply to rent a room in some building on campus. I'll try asking around when the quarter starts.

I'm assuming you go to school at UCI? what year in school are you?

Dec 21, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #66 of 133
Wouldn't it be easier to get an empty lecture hall or conference room? Seems like the school departments would be more willing to let people use those more than the residential people letting people use, well, residential facilities.

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #67 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by munkeeboi83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's about an hr drive from LA, 45-50 mins from the OC.

Nice big "commons" room at UC Riverside sounds great to me. No matter where the meet, some will be farther than others.

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #68 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't it be easier to get an empty lecture hall or conference room? Seems like the school departments would be more willing to let people use those more than the residential people letting people use, well, residential facilities.

The rooms I'm looking at are large conference (board room style seating) or multipurpose rooms. We won't have isolated small little rooms or sound proofing for listening, but I think it'll still be fine. If any headphoneus supremeus folks want to help me out with planning the meet, that would be awesome. I can perhaps propose some dates in January and see what kind of response we get.

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #69 of 133
YES, colleges make great locations for such events
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #70 of 133
Quote:

I'm assuming you go to school at UCI? what year in school are you?

I'm a 4th year.

Dec 22, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #71 of 133
I attended a meet in Texas a few years ago that was held in such a room, and I think it was the best-suited room to a Head-fi meet that I've experienced. The very common outlets of course were a boon, as were the nicer tables and chairs than are typically found in a hotel salon or the like. And of course ingress/egress were generally easier as well in a room expressly built for such purposes.

Dec 22, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #72 of 133
Quote:

The rooms I'm looking at are large conference (board room style seating) or multipurpose rooms. We won't have isolated small little rooms or sound proofing for listening, but I think it'll still be fine. If any headphoneus supremeus folks want to help me out with planning the meet, that would be awesome. I can perhaps propose some dates in January and see what kind of response we get.

There shouldn't be much more for you to do other than:

1) Reserve a big room with lots of chairs and table space.
2) Decide on a date
3) Ask for people to "sign up/RSVP" in this thread about what gear exactly they are bringing.

4) Later send a group PM to everyone who signed up in this thread with actual driving directions/parking instructions. Probably shouldn't post this exact info due to the nature of the internet.

The rest, we will take care of. We'll bring gear, music, extension cords, contact some manufacturers to join, etc.
RAM is in the area, and it would be cool if they could bring one of their cool sources.

I propose 1/19 Sat and/or 1/20 Sun.

Dec 24, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #73 of 133
how about the weekend of 1/12?

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #75 of 133
Unfortunately, I will be extremely busy the next few months. I don't think I'll have the time to setup any meets for a while. I'm very sorry about that. Any other college kids that might be able to set something up at their school?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back