So which of the HPs that you owned do you hate the most?
Nov 13, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #61 of 98
While I'm at it, there are only two sets of people in the world:

1. Grado lovers
2. losers who cant handle a little heat in the treble in exchange for awesome detail

Of the first group, there is a further division

1. Those with the cojones to take the treble of the 325 and RS1
2. losers who prefer old-man Grados, a pipe and a pair of slippers

Seriously, there is an easy answer to the 'OMG - these things are like an icepick in my frontal lobe !' : crank the volume back about 5-10% on the levels you normally listen at. I saw this wonderful piece of advice some months back on Head-Fi and it has served me well.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #62 of 98
There's another group Grado lovers:
- losers who turn the volume back 5-10% to avoid an icepick in the frontal lobe
wink.gif

It's a fair advice, but certainly not always welcome, dependent on the mood or type music you like your music to play at a certain loudness and it can be very frustrating if you're not able to.
I'd rather turn the treble down and play louder.

That said, I seem to be very tolerant towards a bright treble.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #63 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2. losers who prefer old-man Grados, a pipe and a pair of slippers...........

Dude-
so can you break down which Grados fall into which category?
I mean, I can't afford headphones and a pipe......

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #65 of 98
I am pleased to tell that I have not hated any of my headphones this far.
smile.gif

All the 8-10 Stax 'phones I have gone through have been quite nice in their different ways, even if I have parted will all besides one..

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #66 of 98
I didn't like my grado sr225s, very lean Sound stage, ugly looking and super uncomfortable. (comparatively speaking)

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #68 of 98
Grado SR60 Headphones

The sound can best be described as k-701s attempting to be run with a transistor radio on AM.

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #69 of 98
Hate is a too strong word but I got rid of the AT W5000's sharpish. The midrange sounded coloured/honky to me, despite other aspects of the phone like dynamics and headstage being good. They seemed to fit me OK.

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #70 of 98
Quote:

1. Grado lovers
2. losers who cant handle a little heat in the treble in exchange for awesome detail

poopheads who:
1. think that detail is all that matters
2. fall or the gimmick of elevated ice pick treble and think it is actually resolving more detail
3. have too much poop in their ears to hear detail in a can that is tonally accurate

evil_smiley.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #71 of 98
Quote:

While I'm at it, there are only two sets of people in the world:

1. Grado lovers

Of the first group, there is a further division

1. Those with the cojones to take the treble of the 325 and RS1
2. losers who prefer old-man Grados, a pipe and a pair of slippers

Seriously, there is an easy answer to the 'OMG - these things are like an icepick in my frontal lobe !' : crank the volume back about 5-10% on the levels you normally listen at. I saw this wonderful piece of advice some months back on Head-Fi and it has served me well.

As a former RS-1 owner, I disagree.

The detail is nice, but I eventually tired of the coloration. Can't say I hate the RS-1, but I eventually tired of it.

If you want detail without coloration, try the HD-800, MDR-SA-5000 and DT48. Or go with 'stats.

Seeing that you listen to 90% rock, your Grado love is understandable. But they're not so hot for other genres.

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #73 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonanimal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ estreeter and rythmdevils-

Thanks for the laugh!

We aim to please
jecklinsmile.gif

fwiw, I was taking the p* - of course there are people who dont like Grados, just as there are people who dont like Sennheiser/Beyer/whatever. I just cant see what purpose a thread like this serves other than to continue the savage beating that Head-Fi seems to enjoy giving the hapless 701. AKG really need to release a new 'top' headphone to give the 701 a break ...

For those who wanted to know which Grados are 'old-man' material, I nominate the 225 and the RS2, simply because the owners of both are usually the first to nominate the 325 as the scariest, screechiest cans they ever heard. I guess if the playlist on your Hello Kitty iPod is Britney interspersed with Mantovani, then hairy-chested, real man cans like the 325 are going to come as something of a shock. Lie down, and I'll ask your mum to make some chicken soup.

Nov 13, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #74 of 98
GRADO! Cheap materials, bad built, average sound quality, unnatural bass and uncomfortable. I have had/tried the sr80, 325's, RS1, GS1000 and all of them were disappointing! it might be that the ps1 is good but still I wouldnt get Grado's! to many bad ones in the lineup...

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #75 of 98
HD 280 pros - cheap headband, clamps really hard and just sounds meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back