So which of the HPs that you owned do you hate the most?
Sep 30, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #31 of 98
Seems like too much work but I am thinking of incorporating some reviews as references in the list (negative ones of course
wink.gif
). What do you guys say?

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #32 of 98
Can't say I particularly like MS1. Probably the first set of headphones I thought about selling the day I got them. Haven't done so yet, but their time with me is slowly coming to its end...

Um, I actually thought the build quality of HD280 was okay - as much as it can be on a pair of $100 plasticky headphones. Never experienced the infamous breaking headband issue.

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #33 of 98
manuvajpai, I guess that you'll be able to find someone for every headphone who hates something about them.

Nevertheless it's a nice idea, because you can see what people hate.

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #34 of 98
the opposite of love is indifference. hate is the closest thing to love
wink.gif

on that note, the hate against the k701/2s here is pretty exaggerated. they are extremely fast headphones with amazing bass, and clarity that is more or less the best you can buy for $200-250.

bass quantity, tonality, and sound signature (in the form of colorations, not frequency response) are subtle and subjective things which vary from person to person. And in my personal opinion, your preferences can change depending on your listening habits, so it doesn't make sense to judge headphones primarily on those premises. I don't really see how you could hate k701s (which are very good) unless you are a person who feels suicidal when he hears music off the radio or from ibuds

of the headphones that I've owned, there aren't any that I hate. I guess the ones I liked the least were my dt770 pro 250ohms. they had such a huge dip in the mid range that I ended up EQing them to compensate.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #36 of 98
Sad but I knew as soon as I saw this thread it would be all about bashing K701/2. I bought k702's last week. I don't have an amp yet but even out of my laptop they are not bad. I bought them locally the price was higher $450 Canadian. It must be the low price online that makes them hated? A headphone that pretty much anyone can afford and sound wise has been compared to HD800.

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #38 of 98
K701 for it's strange midrange and "neutral sounding" airy coloration which is beautiful on it's own, but they make every single thing sound airy. Led zeppelin should not sound light and airy. If you like the airy no bass sound, the K401 sounds better and was 25 years before the K701 which = failure.

JVC HARX700. sounds like plastic. weird hollow midrange. strange gaps in FR but it's cheap so who cares

haven't bothered to own these:

GS1000. way too much treble

all the new denons- sounds like "dancehall" eq setting or something, just sounds weird

every audio technica i've heard except the M-50 has too much treble, way too much.

there's more, but those are the big ones. I don't hate them, but my feeling towards them is very different from lots of head-fiers. Generally, my most frequent complaint is that modern headphones add treble spikes to create the illusion of detail. But it just winds up sounding distorted, and messes up the dynamics, and tonality, and often just hurts.

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #39 of 98
$0-$50: HARX700/900 --> absolutely hated both. I don't know why some (alot) of people think they are very good for price.
$50-$150: HFI780 --> discomfort, ears get hot and didn't like how they sounded.
$150-$250: K701 --> discomfort, and sounded like plastic.
$250-$500: Alien Ears C3 Pro --> I know they are not full-sized cans, but still... didn't like them.
$500-$1000: GS1000i --> I thought I liked them first, but got tired of the sound quickly and couldn't listen to them long.

Sorry my post is long.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #40 of 98
hf-1 they are good after awhile but first glance the highs are painful.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #41 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
manuvajpai, I guess that you'll be able to find someone for every headphone who hates something about them.

Nevertheless it's a nice idea, because you can see what people hate.

Indeed! That is why I am building up a list of potential turn-offs for popular headphones.

I am also thinking of buying K701s in the future in spite of the comments here. I still think (from the reviews of course) that they are really good and neutral cans. Plus they look phenomenally clean and elegant to me.

PS - It also appears that K701s are very choosy about amps because of their low sensitivity and hunger for power.

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #42 of 98
To all those people who think that K701s are plasticky, what do you think are cans with a very natural tone then? I am really curious as I am still considering K701s as an option for a future upgrade. I don't want to go the senn route simply because I think they'll be too dark (dark = depressing for me). For example the AD700s that I own are about right in terms of overall brightness. That is the reason why I am still considering K701s, and because I do want a big soundstage.

Please say something besides HD800 and other heavyweights.
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #43 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by manuvajpai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To all those people who think that K701s are plasticky, what do you think are cans with a very natural tone then? I am really curious as I am still considering K701s as an option for a future upgrade. I don't want to go the senn route simply because I think they'll be too dark (dark = depressing for me). For example the AD700s that I own are about right in terms of overall brightness. That is the reason why I am still considering K701s, and because I do want a big soundstage.

Please say something besides HD800 and other heavyweights.
wink.gif

HD600, DT880 and JH13 to name a few.

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #45 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamahome77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also add HP2, MS2i, & K1000.

Yes. I wish I still had my HP2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back