So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Mar 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #2,281 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antrax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the great answer
L3000.gif

but whats with that adapter you mentioned? do i have to use an adapter to plug the hfi-780 in the clip+ ? i dont have one, what is it called exactly?

My ALO-780 (recabled HFI-780) headphone cable terminates to a 1/4" headphone plug. The stock HFI-780 cable terminates to a 1/8" headphone plug. The headphone out jack on the Clip+ is a 1/8" headphone jack. My recabled phones require a 1/4"-to-1/8" adapter for the headphone cable plug, because a 1/4" plug is too large to fit into a 1/8" jack. A stock cabled pair of HFI-780 requires no headphone plug adapter, since the plug on the stock cable is the same size (1/8") as the headphone jack on the Clip+.

As for the exact name of the adapter that I use and that you won't need, HeadRoom lists it on their website as: "Grado quarter to eighth inch plug Adapter". But, if you'll be using the stock HFI-780 cable, you won't need one of these.

Mar 28, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #2,282 of 2,328
Just to report in, I bought from ALO a pair of the Ed 9 pads for use on my ALO-780 phones. I really DO love the sound using these phones, and they are in my top three, most-used phones rotation, and the stiffness and the pleather cover of the stock pads sometimes distracts, with low-to-moderate discomfort, from my listening pleasure using them. So, I REALLY splurged and bought a pair of these sheep-skin covered (apparently more available than Japanese Alcantara :wink: ), softer pads - which fit really nicely and install easily on the 780 cups. I am using the center filters from a pair of Beyerdynamic EDT 250 V (cloth covered) earpads that I purchased and did not end up keeping on the phones. The Ed 9 pads are keepers for me, for providing an appreciated level of added comfort, without noticeably changing the sound when using these phones. I can't really say that I recommend these pads (given their price). I can say that they are worth it to me. Thank you, folks, for giving them a mention and for providing me with vendor information for them.

Mar 28, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #2,283 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to report in, I bought from ALO a pair of the Ed 9 pads for use on my ALO-780 phones. I really DO love the sound using these phones, and they are in my top three, most-used phones rotation, and the stiffness and the pleather cover of the stock pads sometimes distracts, with low-to-moderate discomfort, from my listening pleasure using them. So, I REALLY splurged and bought a pair of these sheep-skin covered (apparently more available than Japanese Alcantara :wink: ), softer pads - which fit really nicely and install easily on the 780 cups. I am using the center filters from a pair of Beyerdynamic EDT 250 V (cloth covered) earpads that I purchased and did not end up keeping on the phones. The Ed 9 pads are keepers for me, for providing an appreciated level of added comfort, without noticeably changing the sound when using these phones. I can't really say that I recommend these pads (given their price). I can say that they are worth it to me. Thank you, folks, for giving them a mention and for providing me with vendor information for them.

I hate to say it but I use my HFI-780 ED9 pad headphones more than my D5000's. The ED9 Pads are way more comfortable, and does change the sound moderately for the better. Another thing that makes a difference is the shorter cable that it comes with now that makes it very portable.
darthsmile.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #2,285 of 2,328
Most Ultrasone owners think they sound near their best after about 300-500 hours. Don't rush it by using loud music, and if you really want to use pink noise, don't go above low volume listening levels, people have killed their headphones in the past with high volume burn-in.

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #2,286 of 2,328
I just sold my pair today. Didn't like them at all.

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #2,287 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have just bought some stock HFI-780s, am finding with some songs they sound a bit tinny and boost hi-hats and certain vocals too much; how much does this settle down as they burn in?

Need to get them recabled...I seriously hated mine and didn't listen to them at all until I got them recabled.

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #2,288 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need to get them recabled...I seriously hated mine and didn't listen to them at all until I got them recabled.

Does it really make that much of a difference, and isn't it very expensive too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most Ultrasone owners think they sound near their best after about 300-500 hours. Don't rush it by using loud music, and if you really want to use pink noise, don't go above low volume listening levels, people have killed their headphones in the past with high volume burn-in.

When I've not been using them, I have left them playing cds or the radio at about the volume I would listen to them (although you've now got me worried I might have 'killed' them), so they have been playing for near 70 hours now. I do mostly really like their sound, but there are just certain songs where the harshness of some high's bugs me...

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #2,289 of 2,328
A recable if you do it yourself will cost about $20-$30, head on over to the DIY section for a how-to.

Leaving headphones playing at normal volumes even for 100s of hours on end should be fine.

If you're finding them tiny it could be your source or amp, or perhaps lack there of... what the rest of your chain consist of?

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #2,290 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're finding them tiny it could be your source or amp, or perhaps lack there of... what the rest of your chain consist of?

Have used them with my iriver H340 mp3 player (songs ripped at 320kbps) and my laptop, I don't have an amp.
I briefly looked at a FiiO E5 amp (£20), but was under the impression to get much of an improvement I would probably have to spend a lot more than that.

I haven't noticed music sounding as tinny before when using my other headphones (SoundMagic PL-30 IEMs), however obviously they are different headphones (and a lot cheaper than the ultrasones)

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #2,292 of 2,328
A lot of instruments have a metallic quality, but it's easy for it to turn tinny with sound reproduction. Probably why many consumer headphones have attenuated highs, and I'd recommend it too unless you are willing to tweak or upgrade to get the sound you like. The HFI-580, 680 and 2400 users have less complaints about a tinny sound.

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #2,293 of 2,328
The HFI-780 should not "need" a powerful amp but they definitely improve with one. One thing that would always come in handy is a good source with good quality material though. Especially a laptop with onboard sound would not exactly be considered high quality.

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #2,295 of 2,328

Users who are viewing this thread

Back