So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Aug 27, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #2,071 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um... Rob? I believe you meant to say "everyone".
tongue.gif

LOL! That was quite a slip
wink_face.gif
I have edited...

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #2,072 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree completely with Scott. The 780's when stock were WAY too bright. After S2 Audio recabled them, they were MUCH better. I was able to listen to recable jobs from ALO and APS as well, and they also tamed the highs. But the 780, even after recabling, is an aggressive headphone, and in the end I sold mine, much favoring the sound of the AT ESW9 for portable use. The 780 simply will not appeal to everyone.

Well like I said, these are S2 recabled, with about over 300 hours, do you guys think I should still give them some burn in noise? Even with the recable they're to harsh of highs. I'm very sensitive to highs, I may have to sell, but I really like the lows. And don't worry, I'll give them a fair chance.

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #2,073 of 2,328
are there any easy to do padding mods for the HFI-780. Some how I manage to get parts of my HFI-780 padding flat and have to mess with it to get it back to it regular shape.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #2,075 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are there anyone had compare ALO780 - PRO900 head to head yet ?
popcorn.gif
i think it's gonna be interesting !
beerchug.gif

There already is quite the difference between the HFI-780 and the Pro-750 so I would imagine you are correct.

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #2,076 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are there anyone had compare XXXX - PRO900 head to head yet ?
popcorn.gif
i think it's gonna be interesting !
beerchug.gif

I was informed that sound quality of S-Logic headphones is subject to the anatomical structure of your ear canals !! The way sounds project onto your ear drums.

So, you must try them yourself.

PS. Bass quality of my Pro 2500 is very realistic, perhaps my ear canals are not bad. I doubt the Pro 900 can meet this.

Sep 25, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #2,078 of 2,328
Just got my 780's back from Scott from S2, the highs have definately chilled out a bit. The cable is much more convenient as well. Now I just have to work out what my next purchase will be, damn this site
beyersmile.png

Sep 25, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #2,079 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by theitchybeard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my 780's back from Scott from S2, the highs have definately chilled out a bit. The cable is much more convenient as well. Now I just have to work out what my next purchase will be, damn this site
beyersmile.png

If you don't mind sharing, how much was the total cost (including shipping) for the recable? Also, in you opinion, was it worth it? I have a stock 780 and I've been thinking of having it recabled.

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #2,080 of 2,328
Hi alex1pdx,
Here is a link to s2's site where you can check out their prices, depending on what exactly you want doing: s2-audio.com

You could also just PM Scott from s2, warrior05 a few messages up and he can give you a quote, he normally replies pretty quick and his customer service is great.

I went for the 5 foot re-cable with nylon sleeving and the sound chamber treatment. In my opinion on SQ it was worth it, as many other head-fiers have agreed, it just relaxes the over pronounced high's of the HFI-780's, don't expect mammoth changes, it is subtle, but the main thing for me is that I can listen to the headphones for much longer periods now without my ears becoming fatigued
k701smile.gif
I think other members have noticed more benefits than me from a re-cable, I guess it all depends on your ears.

Aesthetically, the re-cable is a great idea, the stock cable just used to coil up in a big birds nest, which I hated and it was far too long, the new one looks professional and is impossible to get in a tangle.

Also I live in europe, so shipping obviously cost a bit more, but to any other people on this side of the pond, s2 are happy to deal internationally, I couldn't find any re-cable options in europe.

Make sure you've given the 780's at least 200 hours burn-in before you make you're decision as this changes the sound quite a bit, but I guess you've probably already done that after reading other people's comments in this thread.

Well this is getting a bit long winded, so I say, if you've got the spare cash, a recable is worth it from s2.
Cheers
beerchug.gif

Sep 26, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #2,081 of 2,328
I gonna have to take out a loan before i could ever get those cables.

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #2,082 of 2,328
Thanks theitchybeard for your thorough response. I do have more than 200 hours on my 780, but I might wait to hear them with the Caliente I am planning to order before sending them for a recable. Thanks again for your response.

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #2,085 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really liked a lot of the qualities of the PL750 and PL2500, but the S Logic just ruined the overall presentation of the music to me by making the mids shouty.

There is no accounting for perceptions or tastes. Some say the mids are recessed on the Pro 750, you say the mids are "shouty" and my opinion is that the mids are just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back