So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Mar 23, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #1,456 of 2,328
Very good suggestions! and it cost nothing to do, only a little bit of patience.
The cable that come with this headphone is really of bad quality? has very thin wires? is very microphonic?

Mar 23, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #1,457 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very good suggestions! and it cost nothing to do, only a little bit of patience.
The cable that come with this headphone is really of bad quality? has very thin wires? is very microphonic?

The stock cable itself has a whopping 1.2 ohms of impedance, so in short, it sucks. I can't remember if it was microphonic, so it must not have been too bad in that regard.

Mar 23, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #1,458 of 2,328
Forgot about the language barrier.
redface.gif

When I said, "in short, it sucks" - that means "in a nutshell, it sucks" or "in other words, it sucks".

Mar 23, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #1,459 of 2,328
Paper towels huh. . . . hmmmm which brand? Do you find quilted give a softer feel. Oh come on guys! In the words of John McEnroe You cannot be serious! The only thing a paper towel can do is take away sound. And not very scientifically at that. You'll have no control over which frequencies are absorbed.

On a more scientific note though, I'm really interested to hear about the removal of the diode board. What effect does this have on the sound? What was it doing in there in the first place?

Good luck with the paper towels, at least if you ever have the need to blow your nose whilst listening, you'll have a ready supply of kleenex. You know what, I just had a thought, if you use your tissues to blow your nose you'll clear your ear passages a little and maybe that will actually increase the perceived sound quality
smily_headphones1.gif
Yay!

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #1,460 of 2,328
Got the S2 Audio recabled 780's yesterday. The recable is certainly far better from an ergonomic and aesthetic point of view.

Sonically it's too soon to tell, it will need a good 100 hours run-in like any cable, but on a brief listen, some of what I had hoped for appears to be there - the mids are smoother and not as forward. The treble might be a little smoother as well - too soon to really tell though.

Easily worth the money just for the shorter, more robust cable, though.

Mar 23, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #1,461 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got the S2 Audio recabled 780's yesterday. The recable is certainly far better from an ergonomic and aesthetic point of view.

Sonically it's too soon to tell, it will need a good 100 hours run-in like any cable, but on a brief listen, some of what I had hoped for appears to be there - the mids are smoother and not as forward. The treble might be a little smoother as well - too soon to really tell though.

Easily worth the money just for the shorter, more robust cable, though.

Good, look forward to your impressions as the cable burns in and settles. How about some pictures?
cool.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #1,462 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After hundreds of hours the sound is finally out of my head and starting to gain some distance from me,

You are saying they get a better soundstage after some time? That's good news, since "S-Logic" left me a bit disappointed.

Mar 23, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #1,463 of 2,328
It has then a impedance mismatch.... but i am not concerned about that, but about the quality of fabrication in itself, Ok.

In other hand, no problem; i known that you are the "SarcasticMan" in person hahaha, ah no is Jamato8 hahaha. Yes, i understand perfectly you double meaning word (i known that is not a offense about me or my username, but if it was... hehehe )
Anyway, thanks for you contribution.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock cable itself has a whopping 1.2 ohms of impedance, so in short, it sucks. I can't remember if it was microphonic, so it must not have been too bad in that regard.

Mar 23, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #1,464 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by willharris10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paper towels huh. . . . hmmmm which brand? Do you find quilted give a softer feel. Oh come on guys! In the words of John McEnroe You cannot be serious! The only thing a paper towel can do is take away sound. And not very scientifically at that. You'll have no control over which frequencies are absorbed.

On a more scientific note though, I'm really interested to hear about the removal of the diode board. What effect does this have on the sound? What was it doing in there in the first place?

Good luck with the paper towels, at least if you ever have the need to blow your nose whilst listening, you'll have a ready supply of kleenex. You know what, I just had a thought, if you use your tissues to blow your nose you'll clear your ear passages a little and maybe that will actually increase the perceived sound quality
smily_headphones1.gif
Yay!

In other words the treble of the stock HFI 780's do not bother you? Other then that blow it out your ass....or try it, give a listen and maybe find a better way to cut the piercing highs.
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #1,465 of 2,328
OK, I can safely say that the S2 audio recable/mod job is a HUGE improvement. Yes, I only have 30 hours on the wire (400+ on the headphones themselves), but they sound *so* much better than stock. I kinda wish I knew whether the biggest difference was the cable or the removal of the diode board, but I really don't care. I am now happy to have these in my stable of headphones.

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #1,466 of 2,328
Good to hear. Thanks for the heads-up. I have decided to get mine recabled as well. Instead of the mogami though, I'm going to try the cardas starquad wire. This is the wire that's used in the commercial cardas Senn replacement cables. Honestly I dont know if it'll be better than the mogami neglex which is a pretty nice cable by itself but the cardas is very highly regarded.

Mar 23, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #1,468 of 2,328
Quote:

OK, I can safely say that the S2 audio recable/mod job is a HUGE improvement. Yes, I only have 30 hours on the wire (400+ on the headphones themselves), but they sound *so* much better than stock. I kinda wish I knew whether the biggest difference was the cable or the removal of the diode board, but I really don't care. I am now happy to have these in my stable of headphones.

At higher volumes the diode board could come more into play but it still something hanging onto the circuit of the headphone cable and I don't like diodes in that area.

After I took mine out and kept the same cable I think what you are hearing is the cable and not the removal of the diode board, to a great degree anyway.

Mar 24, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #1,469 of 2,328
Quote:

Is smoothness the main difference?

Mar 24, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #1,470 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by StormTracker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is smoothness the main difference?

The biggest differences (so far) are:

1. Midrange is smoother, and less forward, while still quite palpable
2. Treble "zing" has been reduced somewhat (but not fully, yet)
3. Soundstage is improved - there is finally some depth, whereas stock there was almost none

I will have more to say after the 100 hour mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back