So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Mar 20, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #1,397 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenaz724 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rickio, do the 780's sound great with every genre of music or do they just exceed in rock and metal?

I think they sound good with everything I have heard. I listen to some jazz, acoustic and mellow music as well and it sounds great. I think maybe for perhaps a straight laced classical music audiophile they might find complaints because of it's bass but most of us who listen to more current music seem to enjoy the bass and I don't find it excessive at all. It's not really a bloated bass just has capability of going way low and hitting hard and even some say they don't find it hard. But I think it has bigger bass impact then most headphones I ever heard and I have a few. Including DT990, DT880, AKG 701, HD580, Denon 2000 and a few more...

The little bit of classical I heard sounded good but a true audiophile will complain hehehe, I think
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #1,398 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, these are seriously tempting! How would these stack up to the HD580s or SE530s? I have the Shures and the HD600 and find the Senn's a wee bit too laid-back for my tastes, with not enough kick.

Well, I JUST got my SE530's today, so I can't compare them yet, but in respect to the 580's, these a much more forward and the bass hits a lot harder. "Edgy" is a word that comes to mind when describing the two. My only complaint with these right now is that I can hear the metallic sound of drivers at first, but it seems to go away after a few seconds into the song. The sound stage on these are narrower I've noticed too.

Btw, favorite bands so far with these are Dream Theater and Symphony X. They also happend to be the artists I keep at the highest bit rates as well, but damn they sound good
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #1,399 of 2,328
I just purchased them off RMCaudio, I can't wait for them to arrive.
smily_headphones1.gif

With a budget of $200 I'm positive these phones are the best I'm going to get.

Next goal is modding and buying an amp.
I plan to recable them and now I'm wondering which amp you guys found the 780's to work best with?

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #1,400 of 2,328
I forget that you have the DT990 250 ohm (you have the pro or the 2005 Ed? i don't remember..., because you erased it of your signature a while ago). Yes, i known that he have the 600ohm version, but it is the same as the 250 ohm, except in the treble, which is "more" sibilant that the 600 ohm version. Because of that, is that i like a modded DT990 250 ohm with mogami; because it raise a little the mids, which is positive and welcome to me; and reduce or disappear the sshh sibilance in the treble with some sounds, and harshness with some trebly records/anime. And this mod suits me very good, because i have my XMOD, which add emphasis in the bass (adds more slam (up to 25% more)) and treble (adds more energy in the treble (which is awful with some trebly recordings and anime, but i can't live without the crystalizer magic hehehe (it make the Mp3 and Cds sound livelier))). If only the ALO mod was a lot less costly. It will be the perfect Mod, But i can't justify that excessive price (it cost much more that an excelent sounding speakers (including 5.1)).
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He is talking about his 600 ohm version of DT990 which is smoother then the other versions. I have the DT990 250 ohm (heck I forget is it 250 or 300 whatever, its not 600 hehehe) and compared to the DT990 ohm version I have, my modded 780 has much more bass kick and is now getting smoother and is definitely less sibilant then the DT990. The Bass in even the lower ohm version is nice though and it was a favorite of mine before this 780 and I still do like it.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #1,401 of 2,328
I have the Pro version. I got it right before the new version came out. I was tempted to get the new version but I like my old version and I do think a re cable plus a tube amp would make it so much better. So I have kept it and still definitely include it as one of my all time favorites.

I still have my stock hfi 780 and am about to get the mogami cable and will compare it to my alo version. I still like it but it's to fatiguing for me stock. I just put some paper towels in the cups and it's a remarkable change. sibilance is totally gone!

I am now confident a good sound can be achieved with these for less then the alo mod but the alo mod also adds a lot od details and clarity as well. But as far as making them non fatiguing and smoother it can be done cheaply I do believe. The mogami recable and a little dampening should do it fine.
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #1,402 of 2,328
How is the detail on the HFI-780's without the ALO mod? Listening to my ER6i's right now and I'm LOVING the detail! Could the 780's offer anywhere near as much?

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #1,403 of 2,328
I have a superior version than you hehehe
wink.gif
. It will be good that you get the 780 with mogami to compare with the ALO.
You are always as helpful (others too)
smily_headphones1.gif
, because you have the DT990 and skylab the 600 ohm 2005 and me the 250 ohm 2005, but i don't have the HFi-780
frown.gif
, but it will not be for too much time...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Pro version. I got it right before the new version came out. I was tempted to get the new version but I like my old version and I do think a re cable plus a tube amp would make it so much better. So I have kept it and still definitely include it as one of my all time favorites.

I still have my stock hfi 780 and am about to get the mogami cable and will compare it to my alo version. I still like it but it's to fatiguing for me stock. I just put some paper towels in the cups and it's a remarkable change. sibilance is totally gone!

I am now confident a good sound can be achieved with these for less then the alo mod but the alo mod also adds a lot od details and clarity as well. But as far as making them non fatiguing and smoother it can be done cheaply I do believe. The mogami recable and a little dampening should do it fine.
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #1,404 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the detail on the HFI-780's without the ALO mod? Listening to my ER6i's right now and I'm LOVING the detail! Could the 780's offer anywhere near as much?

It has very good detail and the headphones with really good detail I have heard before are DT880 and the shure e4c, but the alo vampire version is more detailed compared to stock. I imagine the mogami is also more clarity when upgrading the cable.

The stock is surely not muddy but the mod just is so much more you have to comment on it. Stock is not as clear only because the treble is so bright it obscures some of the details. At least to my ears. Because once tamed you hear so much more. For example I was hearing a track and I could hear all the strings on the acoustic guitar being strummed so clearly( non lead background rhythm guitar) as opposed to the stock. I could hear it on stock but not as clearly defined. The details are ok on these 780's but very good on the mod version.

Mar 20, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #1,405 of 2,328
Quote:

I think it depends on the genre you're listening to. I can hear a very high level of detail on acoustic and "softer" types of music. With the rock, the soundstage is a bit closer, but there is a LOT of power behind the mids and highs.

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #1,406 of 2,328
They sound perfect. Too bad I don't have the money right now...

I might go minimalist and sell my HD580's and Little Dot MK II to buy the HFI-780 for use with my H120...

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #1,407 of 2,328
Quote:

They sound perfect. Too bad I don't have the money right now...

I might go minimalist and sell my HD580's and Little Dot MK II to buy the HFI-780 for use with my H120...

I'm thinking the same thing, although with selling my Hd600's. Based on impressions, they sound exactly what I'm looking for in a can.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #1,408 of 2,328
I dont want you to be disappointed but the treble bugged me till I modded mine. but everyone hears differently. it took me some time before i realised it was fatiguing me.

but many have no complaints. but you can do a cheap mod to get rid of treble.
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #1,409 of 2,328
Yeah, I am really hoping my S2 Audio recable will get rid of the aggressiveness in the treble. I will know in about a week...

Also, FWIW, the older "Pro" version of the DT990's have a much more recessed midrange and much more aggressive treble than the 2005 versions. I owned both at the same time for a while and was able to compare them directly. Not the same animal.

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #1,410 of 2,328
And to think I even thought the 2005 dt990s were bright and had a recessed midrange.

Skylab, How is the tonality of the 780 compared to that of the 990 2005. Bass/mid/treble balance and quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back