So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Jun 30, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #1,921 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by andy43 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these headphones forgiving? A problem, to me at least, with the D2000's is they are too revealing of badly recorded tracks. I mean, it's cool that the headphones have a lot of detail, but only around 50% of my whole music collection sounds good with them. Can the Ultrasone make almost every track sound good?

Poorly-recorded or low-fi songs I have sound poorly-recorded (excess noise, sound is gained up, etc) with the 780s.

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #1,923 of 2,328
Skylab had em both...if you read this thread from beginning there's a lot of impression and comparassion between em both...
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #1,924 of 2,328
I'm finding my 780s to be a little loose on my head, and I'd like them to clamp tighter for a better seal. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can safely achieve this?

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #1,925 of 2,328
You can try to bend the plastic in words and pray it doesnt snap. Or maybe a rubber band on the sides i guess.

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #1,926 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone in here tried both the Audio-Technica ESW9, and the HFI-780?

If so, which performed better?

I have both. I don't have anywhere near the experience of Skylab, but I can try to help.

But then again, I really can't say, the ESW9 is definitely more portable than the 780 if that's what you need. As far as sound, they're about as far apart as you can get, the 780 is a bit more detailed I think, and the bass on the ESW9 seems a little flabby at times. The mids are what really get me on the ESW9, they're very colored, but I think they're wonderful. The 780 is also harsh in the highs, which isn't a problem with the ESW9. If I had to give one up, it would probably be the 780, but you should really listen to both. I hope I did ok with that, I don't have my ESW9 with me right now, and I've really missed it for the past week.

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #1,927 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Than /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both. I don't have anywhere near the experience of Skylab, but I can try to help.

But then again, I really can't say, the ESW9 is definitely more portable than the 780 if that's what you need. As far as sound, they're about as far apart as you can get, the 780 is a bit more detailed I think, and the bass on the ESW9 seems a little flabby at times. The mids are what really get me on the ESW9, they're very colored, but I think they're wonderful. The 780 is also harsh in the highs, which isn't a problem with the ESW9. If I had to give one up, it would probably be the 780, but you should really listen to both. I hope I did ok with that, I don't have my ESW9 with me right now, and I've really missed it for the past week.

Pretty much right on (although I wouldn't describe the ESW9's mids as very colored, just colored
wink.gif
). If I could keep just one, I too would choose the ESW9. But it's much more laid back. If you like a bright and more aggressive sound, then the 780's are for you.

Jul 1, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #1,928 of 2,328
Fair enough, I don't have very much to compare with, I'm just going by my ears.
One more thing I forgot is price. The ESW9 is very expensive in the states, something like $300. The 780 seems to have gone down since I bought it, making it a great deal. I don't think I'd pay the price on the ESW9 here (I got mine in Japan) but then again, I'm a student, so I don't have the money to toss around. I'm done buying headphones for a while...

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #1,929 of 2,328
Yeah, I listen to lots of metal, ska, hardcore punk, that kind of music, with jazz, blues, and classic rock mixed in
biggrin.gif

So going by what I have read, the HFI-780 would be better for me? Also, would a recable by s2 audio be worth the $90?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #1,931 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock 780 sound great, I don't see any need doing some weird recabling job on them.

I thought this as well and got the cable primarily at first for the convenience of it since I did not enjoy the stock cable. But afterward the sound was so much better that I enjoyed it for what it was, a very different headphone.

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #1,932 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I listen to lots of metal, ska, hardcore punk, that kind of music, with jazz, blues, and classic rock mixed in
biggrin.gif

So going by what I have read, the HFI-780 would be better for me? Also, would a recable by s2 audio be worth the $90?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Don't be misled by the descriptions, the ESW9 can certainly rock. If you have the money and need the portability, I recommend it. Otherwise, the 780 is your best choice. I love both...

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #1,935 of 2,328
So I finally got to hear these at the NorCal meet. My conclusion.... SO OVERRATED! It's not that they're "bad", they're just not anything to rave about. Sounded like overpowering bass-monsters that didn't have much to offer. The APS v3 Recabled versions were nicer, but still, I wasn't impressed. Edition 9 was pretty damn nice though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back