So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Mar 26, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #1,531 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by lelek45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whaaat? Either some of us is death, or their production line have serious fluctuations in sound signature. For me out of the box bass is PAINFULLY, UNBELIEVABLE, overpowered. I can't express how much. I can't listen to it without lowering two bass sliders on EQ to almost last position down.

you guys will need to burn these in for a few hundred hours before you come to conclusions. There are a lot of posts that talk about the fluctuations in sound during burn in.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #1,532 of 2,328
I got mine today and first impressions are good.
Ok, there is a lot of bass, but that is the reason I got them. The highs are a bit harsh. But I find the cymbals to be very realistic. The mids I find to be in your face. Especially woman voice's are THERE.
I just did a little comparing with my HD 650 and now I know what people mean when they talk about "veil". The Hfi-780 are NOT.
I suppose there is a use for both of them. I am very curious what burning in will do to them.
The thing I do miss is the soundstage, so S-Logic isn’t doing it for me yet.

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #1,533 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you guys will need to burn these in for a few hundred hours before you come to conclusions. There are a lot of posts that talk about the fluctuations in sound during burn in.

I find all these posts about humongous burn-in times a bit over the top. I've listened to my HFI-780 since the minute I got them right out of the box, and they sounded fine (although a bit harsh). After some days of normal listening the bass went away a little, then it came back again. Treble became a bit smoother. All in all, nothing truly earth shattering, like this thread might make some people believe.

Maybe I'm just not the guy that needs the "last 5%" out of his cans?
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #1,534 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find all these posts about humongous burn-in times a bit over the top. I've listened to my HFI-780 since the minute I got them right out of the box, and they sounded fine (although a bit harsh). After some days of normal listening the bass went away a little, then it came back again. Treble became a bit smoother. All in all, nothing truly earth shattering, like this thread might make some people believe.

wink.gif

IMO, there were significant fluctuations in sound the first 100 hours. After that it still went through changes until about the 300 hour mark although less significant . Mine are at about 400 hours now and I consider them stable.

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #1,535 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

Maybe you are just lucky, and your cans did not change wildly like some do during burn-in.

Peeps have reported here (including myself) that they picked-up their 780's for a brief listen during the burn-in, and almost had heart attacks from what they heard!
eek.gif

Even though they sounded great out-of-the-box, during burn-in, weirdness happened, before they finally settled-down.

Yes, an exaggeration ("over the top" as you say) -- but you get the idea....

Everybody could have a different experience with these during burn-in.

AFTER burn-in, *most* owners are quite happy with their 780's, myself included -- though some with more-sensitive ears, have trouble handling the highs -- which *I* find to be just fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #1,536 of 2,328
Quote:

No, I didn't, I will try. Yes, I agree, bass is very deep and it reveals some bass even if there is no bass in recording...
smily_headphones1.gif
Interesting to know, will bass be better (meaning much less prominent and much more controlled) after burn-in?

I haven't heard them not burned in, the pair I checked out had at least 500 hrs on them. But still the bass was way too strong for me, overpowering and uncontrolled with highs occasionally hurting my ears.
I guess you'll have to find out for yourself and that means a lot of burn-in needed. My Prolines stabilized at around 350 hrs and since yours uses different drivers you should get at it around 250.
Good luck
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #1,537 of 2,328
Quote:

Hi, I'm sorry for being late here (and for being offtopic regarding recabling etc.), but I just got the pair of 780.
...well, I really don't understand what so good in it, and what was the reason to write 153 pages (correct me please, if I wrong).

First impression was just HORRIBLE. Bass is SOO over present, that it's impossible to listen to anything, that has any bass in it - it just hurts my ears, pushing the air in it, I feel just the air pressure, I don't hear music. It IS very deep, so what? It is muddy and uncontrolled as well, horizontal.... For rock it is absolutely not suitable - bass eats everything, also very muddy, closed sounding. For classic - even worse. Little note here: I came from K701 (which is just ideal phone for me, but I need something closed).

Hights - OK, Mids - something wrong with them - I can't explain what, but K701 can show what the mids should be.

S-Logic...I didn't get it.

Couple of days ago I auditioned D2000 - it was just wonderful, another league, I wouldn't even compare them. That's strange since many people here preferred 780 - I can't explain that. Unfortunately I can't compare them side by side, so impressions are from my memory.

So. Can anyone explain me what's wrong, please? Either my ears are very different, either I just don't understand something, or my be burn-in will help....? Hard to believe.

Probably I will return them, after couple of days....

any advices will e greatly appreciated.

What's wrong is that you didn't read all 153 pages, which have all your answers and solutions. If that is too much trouble, then return them.
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #1,538 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's ok mate, savin my money for the 9's.

Boy, you're sig is too long for another set of headphones. How do you like my new sig? Shorter is better?

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #1,539 of 2,328
Quote:

Hi, I'm sorry for being late here (and for being offtopic regarding recabling etc.), but I just got the pair of 780.
...well, I really don't understand what so good in it, and what was the reason to write 153 pages (correct me please, if I wrong).

First impression was just HORRIBLE. Bass is SOO over present, that it's impossible to listen to anything, that has any bass in it - it just hurts my ears, pushing the air in it, I feel just the air pressure, I don't hear music. It IS very deep, so what? It is muddy and uncontrolled as well, horizontal.... For rock it is absolutely not suitable - bass eats everything, also very muddy, closed sounding. For classic - even worse. Little note here: I came from K701 (which is just ideal phone for me, but I need something closed).

Hights - OK, Mids - something wrong with them - I can't explain what, but K701 can show what the mids should be.

S-Logic...I didn't get it.

Couple of days ago I auditioned D2000 - it was just wonderful, another league, I wouldn't even compare them. That's strange since many people here preferred 780 - I can't explain that. Unfortunately I can't compare them side by side, so impressions are from my memory.

So. Can anyone explain me what's wrong, please? Either my ears are very different, either I just don't understand something, or my be burn-in will help....? Hard to believe.

Probably I will return them, after couple of days....

any advices will e greatly appreciated.

Sounds alot like me a month ago and nothing has changed except different parts of the sound spectrum switch dominance and you may start finding the treble overbearing. They just aren't for us.

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #1,540 of 2,328
People *DO* hear things very differently, especially in terms of bass, it seems.

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #1,542 of 2,328
I have no issue at all with the quantity of the bass of the HFI-780 - in fact I like it. The bass isn't as even as I'd like, in that there are some response peaks and dips in the bass. I wish it had no dips
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #1,543 of 2,328
Twice? They wouldn't be portable anymore then, how could one focus something with the head shaking that badly
biggrin.gif

The 780s are so far the first headphone I got to hear that have a nice bass, or rather a bass that I like. Plenty, so that with different likings throughout time, different music, different situations, I could even take some out, instead of always wishing there was more...

Mar 27, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #1,544 of 2,328
Can anyone compare them to the Pro(line) 650, since they're in the same price range roughly? I don't remember if it's been covered; this thread is so massive. The Pro 650 looks more made to last, I guess, is how I would put it.

Mar 27, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #1,545 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard them not burned in, the pair I checked out had at least 500 hrs on them. But still the bass was way too strong for me, overpowering and uncontrolled with highs occasionally hurting my ears.
I guess you'll have to find out for yourself and that means a lot of burn-in needed. My Prolines stabilized at around 350 hrs and since yours uses different drivers you should get at it around 250.
Good luck
wink.gif

So, no hope. I noticed that people who claim some significant improvements after burn-in, also loved them out of the box, that was not the case with me.

And yes, I just noticed some very aggressive, hights (I think around 5-8Khz area).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back