So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Mar 25, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #1,516 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I am not going to hold my breath but today the 780's after the cable swap to the HD650 cable are sounding better. The highs are reined in and the ssssibilance is gone. The bass has also come back, yes it lacked the lower range impact for some time. It doesn't present the stage depth and width of the 750's but at least the frequency range is more enjoyable, right now anyway.

Sounding good with my tube amps. The Sennheiser cable does a good job in converting these. I can't express enough what junk the stock cable is. If it eventually burns in, which I am not very confident in, great. I hope the stock model does as I really like people to get good sound for not too much money. If it does, it will take many hours but even the Ed 9 is said to take around 500 hours of play time.

Within 12 hours of use I knew the Edition 9 were something special. By 125 hours I stopped my around the clock burn-in and just enjoyed them from that point forward.

Mar 25, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #1,517 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The felt mod is the brain child of Fitz, it started with the Ultrasone PROline 2500. IMO, the felt mod although very subtle it is very effective. Kind of like using a 2,000 grit sandpaper as a final touch on wood before painting. The best part is that it is super cheap.

There was another fellow, before the 2500 mod, that was doing that stuff to Proline 650 to make them "listenable". "Ultrasone proline 650 mods"

Found it: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ult...0-mods-253489/

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #1,520 of 2,328
I can hear the changes with the Sennheiser cable. They have gotten warmer but I am hoping the soundstage gets deeper but that not happen. The bass has come back, as I have noted, and they sound pretty good with my tube amp. I just blew my Little Dot Micro Tube amp so now I have my Woo 6 with Little Tube going back to China. If I had what I needed I would fix it. What a hassle with everything in storage 1000 miles away.

I can't believe the difference the cable has made. Again at 12 dollars can't beat it. Also the sound is no longer "in" my head, which I don't like. It has stepped away. The headphones are getting a sweeter sound now. The stock cable really does these a disservice. I am getting better hall sound now. I would say the cable has transformed these. I would assume the other cables mentioned have the same type of effect though at a bit more cost.

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #1,521 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that you reminded me I do remember that post by kwkarth. Thanks.

I have a memory like a mouse, errr... or is that an elephant?

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #1,522 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can hear the changes with the Sennheiser cable. They have gotten warmer but I am hoping the soundstage gets deeper but that not happen. The bass has come back, as I have noted, and they sound pretty good with my tube amp. I just blew my Little Dot Micro Tube amp so now I have my Woo 6 with Little Tube going back to China. If I had what I needed I would fix it. What a hassle with everything in storage 1000 miles away.

I can't believe the difference the cable has made. Again at 12 dollars can't beat it. Also the sound is no longer "in" my head, which I don't like. It has stepped away. The headphones are getting a sweeter sound now. The stock cable really does these a disservice. I am getting better hall sound now. I would say the cable has transformed these. I would assume the other cables mentioned have the same type of effect though at a bit more cost.

Imagine how it would sound with a real cable
biggrin.gif

Or, [crocodile dundee voice on]

'at's nawt a reel nife, 'is 'ere is a reel nife!

[/crocodile dundee voice off]

just substitute the word knife with cable.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #1,523 of 2,328
Hi, I'm sorry for being late here (and for being offtopic regarding recabling etc.), but I just got the pair of 780.
...well, I really don't understand what so good in it, and what was the reason to write 153 pages (correct me please, if I wrong).

First impression was just HORRIBLE. Bass is SOO over present, that it's impossible to listen to anything, that has any bass in it - it just hurts my ears, pushing the air in it, I feel just the air pressure, I don't hear music. It IS very deep, so what? It is muddy and uncontrolled as well, horizontal.... For rock it is absolutely not suitable - bass eats everything, also very muddy, closed sounding. For classic - even worse. Little note here: I came from K701 (which is just ideal phone for me, but I need something closed).

Hights - OK, Mids - something wrong with them - I can't explain what, but K701 can show what the mids should be.

S-Logic...I didn't get it.

Couple of days ago I auditioned D2000 - it was just wonderful, another league, I wouldn't even compare them. That's strange since many people here preferred 780 - I can't explain that. Unfortunately I can't compare them side by side, so impressions are from my memory.

So. Can anyone explain me what's wrong, please? Either my ears are very different, either I just don't understand something, or my be burn-in will help....? Hard to believe.

Probably I will return them, after couple of days....

any advices will e greatly appreciated.

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #1,524 of 2,328
Did you listen to the demo CD that came with the phones? Might be worth a try as you seem to have to phones there with you. I found it quite impressive, especially with these phones.

After reading this thread, or at least most of it, I got myself a pair of these. I haven't listened to them too much as everyone said they require a really extended burn-in, so I just grabbed them once in a while for a short glimpse. So far, I really liked what I heard.
To me, the bass isn't muddy, but it doesn't seem to cut off things that other phones may miss or leave out. I experienced the same thing with several speaker systems, not only with the highs but also with the bass.
Compared to my previous Senns, which I've been using for nearly a decade, I like the character of the 780s much better for most of the things I use my phones for.

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #1,525 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radical_53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you listen to the demo CD that came with the phones? Might be worth a try as you seem to have to phones there with you. I found it quite impressive, especially with these phones.

After reading this thread, or at least most of it, I got myself a pair of these. I haven't listened to them too much as everyone said they require a really extended burn-in, so I just grabbed them once in a while for a short glimpse. So far, I really liked what I heard.
To me, the bass isn't muddy, but it doesn't seem to cut off things that other phones may miss or leave out. I experienced the same thing with several speaker systems, not only with the highs but also with the bass.
Compared to my previous Senns, which I've been using for nearly a decade, I like the character of the 780s much better for most of the things I use my phones for.

No, I didn't, I will try. Yes, I agree, bass is very deep and it reveals some bass even if there is no bass in recording...
smily_headphones1.gif
Interesting to know, will bass be better (meaning much less prominent and much more controlled) after burn-in?

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #1,526 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by lelek45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So. Can anyone explain me what's wrong, please? Either my ears are very different, either I just don't understand something, or my be burn-in will help....? Hard to believe.

any advices will e greatly appreciated.

Advice: read *ALL* the parts in this thread about BURN-IN and its effect on the SQ.
Burn-in can make a tremendous difference.
DURING burn-in is a roller-coaster ride of different sounds on this can.
Gotta read the *whole* thread. Do it while they burn-in.

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #1,527 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Advice: read *ALL* the parts in this thread about BURN-IN and its effect on the SQ.
Burn-in will make a tremendous difference.
DURING burn-in is a roller-coaster ride of different sounds on this can.
Gotta read the *whole* thread. Do it while they burn-in.

THANKS for advice! I will read all (which is not easy, I'm on page 35 now....
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #1,528 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imagine how it would sound with a real cable
biggrin.gif

Or, [crocodile dundee voice on]

'at's nawt a reel nife, 'is 'ere is a reel nife!

[/crocodile dundee voice off]

just substitute the word knife with cable.
very_evil_smiley.gif

That's ok mate, savin my money for the 9's.

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #1,529 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cry Havoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, as they burn-in, the bass is getting noticeably stronger. Daft Punk is really starting to shake my head a bit!

WOW! Thats too bad, out of the box their bass sounds so overpowered, absolutely unlisteable to me, and it will become EVEN stronger??? Oh No....

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #1,530 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by helios4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of the box, the headphones look is superb.

Concering the sound, I have a lot of doubts. First, the high are grainy, the bass is shy
(

Whaaat? Either some of us is deaf, or their production line have serious fluctuations in sound signature. For me out of the box bass is PAINFULLY, UNBELIEVABLE, overpowered. I can't express how much. I can't listen to it without lowering two bass sliders on EQ to almost last position down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back