So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...
Sep 4, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #916 of 930
  Sorensiim,

Since buying the DX90, are you still looking for the perfect amp?

I find that the DX90 really does it all.

What a game changer.

With the DX90 there is absolutely no "need" for an amp. But I must say I do like the flavour that the PB2 brings to the party. I only use my rig at my desk, so the extra bulk is not an issue for me 
beerchug.gif

Did you try the "Sneaky Russian" firmware for the DX90? Damn thing just got even better!

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #917 of 930
  With the DX90 there is absolutely no "need" for an amp. But I must say I do like the flavour that the PB2 brings to the party. I only use my rig at my desk, so the extra bulk is not an issue for me 
beerchug.gif

Did you try the "Sneaky Russian" firmware for the DX90? Damn thing just got even better!

Cool, I quite enjoy the DX90. The only 'problem' I have with it, is that the rubber cover makes it really hard to pull out the player from my pocket :/

I didn't try the "sneaky russian" (that sounds really, really wrong btw XD), where did you find it? 
I'd love to give it a go!

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #920 of 930
This "sneaky russian" firmware mod sounds awesome. Ofcourse I can't do a quick A-B test but but it certainly seems as if soundstage got a tad bigger, and the seperation seems quite flawless too. Might all be due to the placebo effect, but I don't care :[

Oct 12, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #921 of 930
This looks more like a PB2 appreciation thread lol :smiley::smiley::smiley:
I totally can see and hear why!

I bought mine just over a year ago along with the DB2 and had Frank from Toxic Cables
Make me some balanced cables, I won a comp to name his latest cable, and was the first owner of a batch of White Widow interconnects and HD25 cable ( all balanced )

For now my rig is slightly different in that my source is IPC/CLAS to DB2/PB2 then onto Amperiors. ( I still have the HD25's but I prefer the Amperiors balanced )

However a DX50 ( no DX90 due to budget constraints. ) is in the pipeline along with a balanced Senn-Grado. :D

Anyway consider me subbed!

Ps, I totally agree with you on the balanced topic. Best way to go although single ended she's still a damn fine amp!
And I also find it very good with an RB'd 5.5G although that's only half balanced lol.

Forgot to add I also have a pair of IE8's balanced for the PB2. It's a rather uncommon pairing/recable but Oh My does it work well! The IE8's are a great little pair of iems but balanced from the PB2 just bumps them into another league altogether.

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #922 of 930
This looks more like a PB2 appreciation thread lol :smiley::smiley::smiley:
I totally can see and hear why!

I bought mine just over a year ago along with the DB2 and had Frank from Toxic Cables
Make me some balanced cables, I won a comp to name his latest cable, and was the first owner of a batch of White Widow interconnects and HD25 cable ( all balanced )

For now my rig is slightly different in that my source is IPC/CLAS to DB2/PB2 then onto Amperiors. ( I still have the HD25's but I prefer the Amperiors balanced )

However a DX50 ( no DX90 due to budget constraints. ) is in the pipeline along with a balanced Senn-Grado.
biggrin.gif

Anyway consider me subbed!

Ps, I totally agree with you on the balanced topic. Best way to go although single ended she's still a damn fine amp!
And I also find it very good with an RB'd 5.5G although that's only half balanced lol.

Forgot to add I also have a pair of IE8's balanced for the PB2. It's a rather uncommon pairing/recable but Oh My does it work well! The IE8's are a great little pair of iems but balanced from the PB2 just bumps them into another league altogether.

Tbh the main improvement between the DX50 and 90 is the amp section so you're not missing too much by getting the 50 
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #923 of 930

Tbh the main improvement between the DX50 and 90 is the amp section so you're not missing too much by getting the 50 
biggrin.gif

I'd say the DAC section is a pretty solid upgrade as well, but if he's using a DB2 then that point is a bit moot 
smile.gif

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #924 of 930
  I'd say the DAC section is a pretty solid upgrade as well, but if he's using a DB2 then that point is a bit moot 
smile.gif

Maybe that's just me not liking the sabre sound but I didn't find it to be a significant upgrade tbh 
redface.gif

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #925 of 930
  Maybe that's just me not liking the sabre sound but I didn't find it to be a significant upgrade tbh 
redface.gif

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen is why A) you should always read more than one review of any given gadget and B) Rising competition and thereby choice in the head-fi market is a good thing. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #926 of 930
  And THAT, ladies and gentlemen is why A) you should always read more than one review of any given gadget and B) Rising competition and thereby choice in the head-fi market is a good thing. 
beerchug.gif

I didn't even read a review, I just immediately pre-ordered and bought it because I loved the DX50 sound so much and thought the DX90 will be an upgrade. I was wrong, so now my dad's the one that's enjoying the DX90 
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #927 of 930
Hi guys, I know is pretty dated model but can anyone share their experience with regards to the RSA P51 Mustang if you have owned or tried it. Thanks in advance guys and hope to get some advice here.

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #928 of 930
Hi guys, I know is pretty dated model but can anyone share their experience with regards to the RSA P51 Mustang if you have owned or tried it. Thanks in advance guys and hope to get some advice here.

I don't think you need to think twice before buying the RSA P51 Mustang. 
Please refer the link below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-final-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b/2100#post_4975021

If you aren't aware...Skylab is one of the most respected reviewers here. It's a shame, he stopped reviewing portables quite some time ago.

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #929 of 930
I don't think you need to think twice before buying the RSA P51 Mustang. 
Please refer the link below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-final-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b/2100#post_4975021

If you aren't aware...Skylab is one of the most respected reviewers here. It's a shame, he stopped reviewing portables quite some time ago.

Thanks for the link @BadBoySimran, appreciate it. Going over to the thread now.

Read the review but thread is locked so I really hope for some opinions here. How does the Mustang stack up to the current crops of recommended amps here. Due to limited fund, I'll be trying my luck to pick up a used unit so I hope fellow headfier could chip in with more thoughts. Thanks again in advance.

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #930 of 930
  I gave up my hunt for the perfect tiny IC and decided to make one myself. Two angled Neutrik 3.5mm plugs sans barrel, Mogami 2893 wires. Finally something compact enough for my tastes 
smily_headphones1.gif

Wires soldered - I had forgotten how annoying it is to work with such short lengths of wire!

Test drive, yup it works perfectly.

Heatshrink fitted, elbows ready for a drop of super glue.

All done! 

Quite a bit more compact than the old one, I'd say!

thats compact and neat man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back