So, I got my Q701 today...
Aug 21, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #17 of 27
Now you just need to try the K501!

I've owned the K701 about 3-4 times (Crazy I know!)

Most recently I bought the K601 (early 2010), sold it when I got the K702 and then months later realized I preferred the K601 sound. Oops.
It was a bit easy to get WOWed by the sound of the K702 the first week and then you are able to find things you don't like about it.
I now prefer the K501 by far. Even over my precious K601. Music out of it is very engaging and AKG got the soundstage right with the K501 and less so with the K702. With the K501 the soundstage is massive but nothing feels too distant or hard to hear.

Possibly the q701 has fixed some of my complaints about the K702.

My K702 had very annoying treble that made some songs sound very annoying and not natural. It wasn't the case of garbage in and garbage out. Then the soundstage made subtle background details sound very distant. Felt that something was causing a recession in the mids.

To this day I don't think anyone has compared the Q701 and K702 side by side at the same time. The part#s of the K701 and the Q701's driver are the same. It's easy to tweak a headphone with other improvements though.

One strange thing is that a persons impression of the K702 can vary based on amps and it's synergy with it. I hated it out of my Asgard. I tried it with an E9 and was shocked at how better it sounded. No, the E9 isn't better than the Asgard, but it sure is for this headphone! I later got an even better amp mainly because it was hard to find an amp that played nice with both the HD-650 AND K702.

Strangely enough I loved my first K701 the most. I think it may have been under-driven slightly when I was fairly clueless. I did have an amp though. I never remember it having any harsh treble, so maybe there is very tiny differences between even the K701 and K702. Doubt it.

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:
Heya,

Awesome. It's funny a lot of high-end owners end up also having K701's (and equivalent from the line).

If you get an itch, try the Shure SRH940. I compared them directly after buying both the K701 and SRH940 and was quite surprised.

Very best,

I've actually owned the SRH940 before. A Top 5 headphone for me. Shame on the comfort though.

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:
To this day I don't think anyone has compared the Q701 and K702 side by side at the same time. The part#s of the K701 and the Q701's driver are the same. It's easy to tweak a headphone with other improvements though.

Tyll at Inner Fidelity compared it to the K701. They were basically identical. The differences that were measured were caused by either product variation or the button on the Q701's grill.

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:
Tyll at Inner Fidelity compared it to the K701. They were basically identical. The differences that were measured were caused by either product variation or the button on the Q701's grill.

If that is the case, I guess I'd like the K701 just the same. Well, I'd miss the awesomely looking appearance of the Q701 though...

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #22 of 27

Quote:

Maybe the button adds bass and smooths over the treble
biggrin.gif
(this is what people seem to say is improved with the Q701 over the K702
confused_face_2.gif
)
Man, I said I'd never make any Q701 jokes, but there I go. I hope to hear the Q701 somday. I think maybe I'll try the K701 again too. Maybe it really does sound different slightly than the K702.
I really regret missing the last meet in Chicago. I probably could have heard all of them. I keep going back to the K702 and hope it's not ever again!! It'd have been my perfect headphone if a few things were changed. I think I read that mods would change it. I bet the Q701 could be tweaked to my liking if I added a specific cable directly to the drivers instead of using the external mini-XLR jack.

I bet the Belden I used on my HD-668B to smooth it's treble would help. HD-668b is so nice with a recable.

Off to check that link out.

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #23 of 27

Quote:
Received my black Q701 two weeks ago and have been enjoying it immensely. Perhaps call it 'nps' (new phone syndrome) but I have found myself neglecting my RS 1i and HD650.  Comfortable, good looking, incredible soundstage, and particularly very pleasant for Jazz, vocals, and Acoustic.   Nice work on this one, AKG!

What amp/DAC do you use for the Q701s and what is your source?

Thanks, Elliott

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #24 of 27
I'm using both the Fiio E7/E9 combo and a PS Audio GCHA, both being fed FLAC from a 2010 MacBook Pro.  Surprisingly, the E7/E9 is a very decent match.  I also have a Marantz CD5004 and its headphone out drives the Q701 very nicely.  I'm holding off for another month or so, but my next purchase may very well be the new Schiit DAC and probably a Lyr.  Overall, I am quite pleased with the Q701.  

Quote:
What amp/DAC do you use for the Q701s and what is your source?

Thanks, Elliott

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #25 of 27

Quote:
I'm using both the Fiio E7/E9 combo and a PS Audio GCHA, both being fed FLAC from a 2010 MacBook Pro.  Surprisingly, the E7/E9 is a very decent match.  I also have a Marantz CD5004 and its headphone out drives the Q701 very nicely.  I'm holding off for another month or so, but my next purchase may very well be the new Schiit DAC and probably a Lyr.  Overall, I am quite pleased with the Q701.  

Maybe before the Schiit DAC, you can check out the Apogee Duet.

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #26 of 27

Quote:
Those black-and-white Q701s are one of my dream headphones. I'll be sure to pick one up as soon as I get over this whole "broke student" thing.

+1
Great to hear you're enjoying your Q701's, OP. Looking into a white Q701 and an E9 myself (as soon as I can scrounge up enough cash).

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #27 of 27

Quote:
+1
Great to hear you're enjoying your Q701's, OP. Looking into a white Q701 and an E9 myself (as soon as I can scrounge up enough cash).

Check out the E10 it's nice and warm and has bass boost. I works well with both with K's and Q's. Sonically at the OC meet some of us couldn't find any difference between the K's and Q's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back