So far, disappointed with AKG Q701.
Aug 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #46 of 86
Quote:
How is it nonsense? High output impedance affects the tightening of the bass . 

It's no more of a "nonsense" than giving out opinions that constantly change over time. I still remember you talking about how you thought the 598s had a bigger soundstage over the 701s - though you admitted in never doing a direct comparison - and about how the 598s had an "edge" over your Q701s over your music. Obviously, you'd probably disagree with this today. Which brings up another point: have you done a direct comparison between the K701 and Q701? I really am curious what you would think of those two under a real double blind test.. very curious. I doubt it would matter much regardless though, considering how much variations between AKG models that exist. 

Well the problem is that way too many of these science guys claim the E9 with the Q701 is garbage due to it's 10 ohm output impedance, yet don't even bother to try it! Couldn't be any further from the truth. Automatically assuming it's going to mess with it's signature is a bit dumb. They even post this garbage in Amazon reviews after someone uses the E9 with the Q701 and claims it sounds amazing. What the heck..way to ruin someones fun.

Unless you can find a quote, I don't believe I ever said the 598 had a larger soundstage than the K701. If I did, that's a bit dumb. Maybe I had been using it with some random weird amp/dac that gave me this effect. It all depends a lot on my current setup. The only headphone i've tried that has a larger soundstage than the K701 is the AD700 and K501.

Why are you bringing this up exactly? Throw dirt in my face? People's opinions change all the time, this is nothing new. I know you think the HD-598 is the world's most perfect headphone, but you're just lying to yourself if you think you won't find your opinions possibly changing on it after time. We'll see if you still have it in 2 years. It seems the best headphones I own are the ones i've owned the longest. Most people here just go through so many headphones. I've never heard a headphone sound amazing and then suddenly claim the opposite later on like some people. I do however love to pick apart my headphones and find negatives of them. There are very few perfect headphones, but the Q701 is close for me. Generally it takes me a full month to really determine how much I like a headphone. I didn't start complaining about the HD-650 until about the 30 day mark. I've found that if I hate a headphone out of the box, it VERY rarely changes. There's a few that have.

Yes, it's true, there is some music I prefer on the 598 over the Q701. There is also some music I prefer on on the DJ100 over both of them. For me there is no headphone that's GREAT for everything. I've found though that the Q701 does well with all of them.

You seem like you're on a one man mission to get people to try the HD-598. That's OK, I do that with my DJ100 all the time. The HD-598 is a nice headphone, but it's not perfect IMO. I'd probably take the Q701 over that if I had to choose. It just needs a good amp/dac to be at it's best. I do think the 598 is better than the HD-650/600 (maybe not technically better), but not the K601 and Q701. I think for some, the HD-598 is easier to like.

I do like the 598 for female vocals and for it's larger soundstage. Also doesn't bother me much when I use it without an amp unlike the Q701.

I had the K702 and the Q701 at the same time once. Never did any blind testing, but I don't feel the need to prove to anyone what I'm hearing. I can just post my impressions. If they don't agree or trust them, then that's OK. I'm not going to compare my HD-598 to my Q701 in depth because it ruins the fun of listening to them. I've done this way too much in the past and it makes me hate listening to headphones. None of them are going anywhere. I did however do a K601 vs HD-598 review. You can search for that, but the K601 is much different than the Q701. Maybe I should check my review and see if my old impressions are the same or a bit different.

BTW impressions of headphones can vary somewhat for me due to switching amps and DACs. The HD-650 and Q701 change a lot with different gear. More so than some other headphones.
My impressions of the K601 and DT-880 600 with the Asgard were NOT good. The K601 is really bad on some amps. Same with the ATH-AD2000.

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #47 of 86
Quote:
I have the Q701 and HD595, not 598. I have the FiiO E11, not the E9. I don't think the E11 properly drives the Q701. I have a Headstage Arrow 4G that's also not up to the task (IMO). I only have my memory of my audition of the Q701 (retail $399) at the Best Buy (music—instruments/equipment store section). I heard them on a studio-like headphone amp. I then bought the ugly lime-green ones from Amazon because they were $212 (or about $20 to $30 cheaper than the black ones at the time). I regret that decision. Green (matching the cable) is not pretty. The HD595 look much better. They don't have the “fanciness” of the 598 (aka “yuck” factor).

On an old thread (that I posted on by mistake) it was mentioned that the 595 and 598 have the same loudness at the same points on the FR graph. I still won't assume that they sound alike though. That FR curve may also apply to the 555 with the same speaker (without the tilt positioning and other factors).

Sources and amplification idiosyncrasies can turn you off (or on) to a particular headphone for your style of music.

BTW, the Q701 do sound better to me under most circumstances of source and amplification (that I own) than the 595. It's less edgy in frequency spikes in the upper mids and treble with slightly more detail and bass (IMO).

I have the E11 and when using a LOD cable (to bypass the internal amp of the player) it sounded a bit thin and fatiguing. More so than when very well amped. The soundstage is also a bit smaller than normal.
When I use a headphone out from my Sansa Fuze to the E11, it's a LOT better. The mids are fuller, soundstage is increased and the sound is much smoother and less fatiguing. Maybe it likes the extra power from the amp?

Strangely the Q701 sounded better from the E10 than the E11 LOD method and it's supposed to have a slightly weaker amp.

I've always been a believer that the Q701 is not worth buying with just a portable amp. The only one that made the Q701 sound like it was nearly at it's best is the Total Airhead. This even drives my HD-580 well, but struggles somewhat with the K601.

I'll admit that I once used the K701 with an Airhead for 3 years. Ugh, didn't know any better and wish I had gotten a desktop amp sooner. It sounded pretty good at least. No LOD cables back then. The Airhead does clip/flash red if it's having issues or going over-voltage.

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #48 of 86
Quote:

Well the problem is that way too many of these science guys claim the E9 with the Q701 is garbage due to it's 10 ohm output impedance, yet don't even bother to try it! Couldn't be any further from the truth. Automatically assuming it's going to mess with it's signature is a bit dumb. They even post this garbage in Amazon reviews after someone uses the E9 with the Q701 and claims it sounds amazing. What the heck..way to ruin someones fun.

Unless you can find a quote, I don't believe I ever said the 598 had a larger soundstage than the K701. If I did, that's a bit dumb. Maybe I had been using it with some random weird amp/dac that gave me this effect. It all depends a lot on my current setup. The only headphone i've tried that has a larger soundstage than the K701 is the AD700 and K501.

Why are you bringing this up exactly? Throw dirt in my face? People's opinions change all the time, this is nothing new. I know you think the HD-598 is the world's most perfect headphone, but you're just lying to yourself if you think you won't find your opinions possibly changing on it after time. We'll see if you still have it in 2 years. It seems the best headphones I own are the ones i've owned the longest. Most people here just go through so many headphones. I've never heard a headphone sound amazing and then suddenly claim the opposite later on like some people. I do however love to pick apart my headphones and find negatives of them. There are very few perfect headphones, but the Q701 is close for me. Generally it takes me a full month to really determine how much I like a headphone. I didn't start complaining about the HD-650 until about the 30 day mark. I've found that if I hate a headphone out of the box, it VERY rarely changes. There's a few that have.

Yes, it's true, there is some music I prefer on the 598 over the Q701. There is also some music I prefer on on the DJ100 over both of them. For me there is no headphone that's GREAT for everything. I've found though that the Q701 does well with all of them.

You seem like you're on a one man mission to get people to try the HD-598. That's OK, I do that with my DJ100 all the time. The HD-598 is a nice headphone, but it's not perfect IMO. I'd probably take the Q701 over that if I had to choose. It just needs a good amp/dac to be at it's best. I do think the 598 is better than the HD-650/600 (maybe not technically better), but not the K601 and Q701. I think for some, the HD-598 is easier to like.

I do like the 598 for female vocals and for it's larger soundstage. Also doesn't bother me much when I use it without an amp unlike the Q701.

I had the K702 and the Q701 at the same time once. Never did any blind testing, but I don't feel the need to prove to anyone what I'm hearing. I can just post my impressions. If they don't agree or trust them, then that's OK. I'm not going to compare my HD-598 to my Q701 in depth because it ruins the fun of listening to them. I've done this way too much in the past and it makes me hate listening to headphones. None of them are going anywhere. I did however do a K601 vs HD-598 review. You can search for that, but the K601 is much different than the Q701. Maybe I should check my review and see if my old impressions are the same or a bit different.

BTW impressions of headphones can vary somewhat for me due to switching amps and DACs. The HD-650 and Q701 change a lot with different gear. More so than some other headphones.
My impressions of the K601 and DT-880 600 with the Asgard were NOT good. The K601 is really bad on some amps. Same with the ATH-AD2000.

There is nothing wrong with posting impressions. The problem here is you're posting impressions so passionately that people actually take your word for it, people who for instance, might take your word for it and upgrade their K701 to a Q701 because YOU constantly claim it's a huge improvement. It's not such a casual topic when money is involved. It's hard to take your words seriously when: 
a) You did not do a direct comparison between the K701/ Q701 
b) You seem to underestimate the degree of perception bias (like a LOT) 

I brought up the point about you stating the K701/2 possibly having a smaller soundstage than the 598s for a reason. It was to show that without a direct comparison, your impressions should only be taken for light reading and enjoyment, and even with one, it is hardly authoritative. Sometimes you make it clear that you're stating an opinion, and sometimes you don't. In fact, to quote your last post: 
"Couldn't be any further from the truth. Automatically assuming it's going to mess with it's signature is a bit dumb. They even post this garbage in Amazon reviews after someone uses the E9 with the Q701 and claims it sounds amazing. What the heck..way to ruin someones fun." 

What is "truth"? 

P.S. I enjoyed your little comment about me being on a "one man mission" to get people to like the 598s. 

P.P.S. --> http://www.head-fi.org/t/589397/hd-598-or-akg-q701/15

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #49 of 86
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with posting impressions. The problem here is you're posting impressions so passionately that people actually take your word for it, people who for instance, might take your word for it and upgrade their K701 to a Q701 because YOU constantly claim it's a huge improvement. It's not such a casual topic when money is involved. It's hard to take your words seriously when: 
a) You did not do a direct comparison between the K701/ Q701 
b) You seem to underestimate the degree of perception bias (like a LOT) 

I brought up the point about you stating the K701/2 possibly having a smaller soundstage than the 598s for a reason. It was to show that without a direct comparison, your impressions should only be taken for light reading and enjoyment, and even with one, it is hardly authoritative. Sometimes you make it clear that you're stating an opinion, and sometimes you don't. In fact, to quote your last post: 
"Couldn't be any further from the truth. Automatically assuming it's going to mess with it's signature is a bit dumb. They even post this garbage in Amazon reviews after someone uses the E9 with the Q701 and claims it sounds amazing. What the heck..way to ruin someones fun." 

What is "truth"? 

P.S. I enjoyed your little comment about me being on a "one man mission" to get people to like the 598s. 

P.P.S. --> http://www.head-fi.org/t/589397/hd-598-or-akg-q701/15

Are you seriously complaining about me posting things about a Q701? You're in every single HD-650, HD-600, Q701 and Pro5000 thread bragging about this HD-800 killer the HD-598!! I mean, no offense, but it's almost sickening. I didn't say anything because i'm not that much of a jerk (usually). Let people enjoy what they have...it's bad enough you actually quote me in your threads and then try to come up with dirt about things I possibly said a year ago. I mean, really? Who does this? It's bad enough people would check my profile for DACs if I didn't like the DT-880 and then proclaim i'm not really hearing them properly.

Am I forcing people to upgrade their K702 to the Q701? I don't care what they do with their money. I trust me own ears and they should to. Blindly buying a headphone without doing a little research is a big mistake. You need to get many, many impressions on the Q701 to really know for sure if it's different than the K702. I took one for the team and bought the Q701 to really HEAR for myself if it sounded any different. This is after nearly everyone here claimed it was just a color change.

There's probably a good half a dozen people now that find it sounds like a slightly improved Q701. I did do a direct comparison. I didn't do a blind A/B comparison because i'm not that much of a nerd. Sorry. I could care less about trying to prove what i've heard to people.

Yeah I'm sorry I didn't properly calculate the soundstage size of the HD-598 vs the Q701 for you. Maybe I can get out my ruler next time and do a 10 hour analysis of soundstage width, depth and height between the two. The size isn't all that much different.

Going by just one person's impressions is a bit stupid. I usually get a general idea of what they might sound like and then check graphs. I actually buy a lot of my headphones based on sound signature impressions and rarely trust graphs.

I can't believe you don't realize everyone's impressions and comments are just an opinion. Nobody will hear a headphone the same way. Maybe people can write an "IMO" for you after every sentence so you don't get confused.

I didn't say the Q701 is a huge improvement. Did you read my first post in the Q701 appreciation thread? Maybe you should. Actually it's quite a large improvement for me for sure. It's nearly fixed every issue I had with the K702 and no I won't prove it to you. Actually, it's a MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT. Go buy the Q701 immediately! Sell off all your K702s!

BTW don't you think you're taking things to seriously? I mean, why not just go listen to your HD-598 and stop nit-picking about things people say?

You can check this post too, to add to your file about me:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/589397/hd-598-or-akg-q701/15#post_8041290

I also like the Bose AE1, so nobody should ever trust my opinions ever.

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #51 of 86
Quote:
Music + headphones = fun! 

I never want to hear the Q701 thanks to this thread. Money saved!

Well that's too bad. The Q701 is a fun headphone to me and many others.
This same thing happens in many other threads. This is why I tried to stop over-analyzing my headphones. I stopped caring about which is best.
The longer I compare headphones the more I hate them. Ruins the fun of just listening to your music.
The best headphones are the ones you try to review and analyze, but keep finding yourself getting distracted by the music
biggrin.gif
My DJ100 and HD-580 are like that.

Just look at those fun old threads about the K701 vs DDT-880 and which is more neutral. People will argue over which has most non-fatiguing treble.
Then the lovely M50 hate threads, where people seem to think the M50 is the world's worse headphone..yet they love a headphone that sounds nearly the same.

I do miss the K701 vs HD-600 threads with special guest Mr. Plastic.

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #52 of 86
No offence to both tdock and nimble here, but you two are doing exactly what shouldn't be done at Head-Fi... This is a FREE discussion, not having a flame war between each other. I respect every user here (unless they are complete trolls) and I respect everyone's opinions and thoughts about headphones, amps, cables, etc. I agree with tdock how the Q701s are an improvement over the previous K701 and K702 and I also agree how nimble thinks the HD598 is a very good headphone as well. Let's keep it as that, nothing more okay? And stop it with the P.S or P.P.S. Pointless discussions like this make me come on Head-Fi less and less everyday.

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #54 of 86
Quote:

Have you tried the V-100 amp?

If it costs over $350, then no. I went from budget amps like the Asgard, to the E9 and the Micro Amp. Lots of various sources as well.
Perfectly happy with the Q701 right now. I'm actually surprised the K702's biggest fan hasn't tried it yet.
biggrin.gif

I'm not so serious about music as to want to buy anything over $500 in any category..yet. No studio or anything here.

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #55 of 86
Quote:
If it costs over $350, then no. I went from budget amps like the Asgard, to the E9 and the Micro Amp. Lots of various sources as well.
Perfectly happy with the Q701 right now. I'm actually surprised the K702's biggest fan hasn't tried it yet.
biggrin.gif

I'm not so serious about music as to want to buy anything over $500 in any category..yet. No studio or anything here.

Right now I'm very satisfied with the 702's and the Phonitor combo... and this after comparing to the HD-800, HE-500, and the T1. I'm a bit curious about the Q, but honestly I dont need more bass out of my combo for mixing and mastering.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #56 of 86
Quote:
Are you seriously complaining about me posting things about a Q701? You're in every single HD-650, HD-600, Q701 and Pro5000 thread bragging about this HD-800 killer the HD-598!! I mean, no offense, but it's almost sickening. I didn't say anything because i'm not that much of a jerk (usually). Let people enjoy what they have...it's bad enough you actually quote me in your threads and then try to come up with dirt about things I possibly said a year ago. I mean, really? Who does this? It's bad enough people would check my profile for DACs if I didn't like the DT-880 and then proclaim i'm not really hearing them properly.

Am I forcing people to upgrade their K702 to the Q701? I don't care what they do with their money. I trust me own ears and they should to. Blindly buying a headphone without doing a little research is a big mistake. You need to get many, many impressions on the Q701 to really know for sure if it's different than the K702. I took one for the team and bought the Q701 to really HEAR for myself if it sounded any different. This is after nearly everyone here claimed it was just a color change.

There's probably a good half a dozen people now that find it sounds like a slightly improved Q701. I did do a direct comparison. I didn't do a blind A/B comparison because i'm not that much of a nerd. Sorry. I could care less about trying to prove what i've heard to people.

Yeah I'm sorry I didn't properly calculate the soundstage size of the HD-598 vs the Q701 for you. Maybe I can get out my ruler next time and do a 10 hour analysis of soundstage width, depth and height between the two. The size isn't all that much different.

Going by just one person's impressions is a bit stupid. I usually get a general idea of what they might sound like and then check graphs. I actually buy a lot of my headphones based on sound signature impressions and rarely trust graphs.

I can't believe you don't realize everyone's impressions and comments are just an opinion. Nobody will hear a headphone the same way. Maybe people can write an "IMO" for you after every sentence so you don't get confused.

I didn't say the Q701 is a huge improvement. Did you read my first post in the Q701 appreciation thread? Maybe you should. Actually it's quite a large improvement for me for sure. It's nearly fixed every issue I had with the K702 and no I won't prove it to you. Actually, it's a MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT. Go buy the Q701 immediately! Sell off all your K702s!

BTW don't you think you're taking things to seriously? I mean, why not just go listen to your HD-598 and stop nit-picking about things people say?

You can check this post too, to add to your file about me:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/589397/hd-598-or-akg-q701/15#post_8041290

I also like the Bose AE1, so nobody should ever trust my opinions ever.

I only state facts / opinions that many others share about the 598s in regards to other headphones. You'll never see me recommend these to someone who listens to dubstep, electronic dance, metal, etc. In regards to "digging up dirt" I actually keep a variety of comments for each headphone on word documents. So no, I don't actually take the precious time to "dig up dirt" on you, despite what you think. 

And I think you're misunderstanding something here. I never once complained about your impressions with the Q701. In fact, I've always respected your impressions (whether it's true or not) and even once said, if anyone out there likes the Q701 already, they have no reason to be angry over MY own impressions (which is also often an integration of others' using quotes and such). However, I was annoyed by your comment regarding the E9 amp because objectively, the E9 is NOT exactly a great amp choice for the Q701. I was questioning how you could ignore such objective data and the possibility of expectation bias, and yet so passionately give subjective impressions between different headphones, and to add, without a direct comparison. 

I think people take headphones too personally. It might seem like I am obsessed with the 598s but I'm not. I got these for free and have no personal attachment to these whatsoever, except purely by its wonderful performance. Every headphones have their flaws and strengths, and with the 598s, if someone said these were lacking in bass, I'd completely agree if genres are taken into considerations. Timbre and clarity could be improved, as well as a much greater bass and treble extension.Anyone can bash on these headphones all they want and I GUARANTEE you I will not get angry or passionate about it. So to answer your question, no I'm not taking any of this seriously at all. Maybe it's not ME that's taking this seriously? 

I don't like arguing over the internet so let's stop. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #57 of 86
i had the K702 and Q701 side by side once upon a time...both plugged into the twin sockets of the BCL amp...
(switching between cans on the same track was almost immediate..easier to hear difference if any..:p)

in simple terms, i can only describe the sound of the Q701 as liken to a K702 tats put on comply tips.. ( think iems )
the highs of the Q701 is taken down a notch...the bass with more body.
this is especially telling in an album like PURE by Hayley Westenra...the first song " Pokarekare Ana"
where her vocals soarrrrrred way up high on the 702...
but barely hit the ceiling on the Q701.

I am currently listening to the Q701 with the inner foam taken OUT....lol.
but not to worry, i wont burst my eardrums, i plugged in a tube amp to add liquidity to my ears. whew.

========

ok back to the family discussions... 
k701smile.gif

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #58 of 86
Quote:
I only state facts / opinions that many others share about the 598s in regards to other headphones. You'll never see me recommend these to someone who listens to dubstep, electronic dance, metal, etc. In regards to "digging up dirt" I actually keep a variety of comments for each headphone on word documents. So no, I don't actually take the precious time to "dig up dirt" on you, despite what you think. 

And I think you're misunderstanding something here. I never once complained about your impressions with the Q701. In fact, I've always respected your impressions (whether it's true or not) and even once said, if anyone out there likes the Q701 already, they have no reason to be angry over MY own impressions (which is also often an integration of others' using quotes and such). However, I was annoyed by your comment regarding the E9 amp because objectively, the E9 is NOT exactly a great amp choice for the Q701. I was questioning how you could ignore such objective data and the possibility of expectation bias, and yet so passionately give subjective impressions between different headphones, and to add, without a direct comparison. 

I think people take headphones too personally. It might seem like I am obsessed with the 598s but I'm not. I got these for free and have no personal attachment to these whatsoever, except purely by its wonderful performance. Every headphones have their flaws and strengths, and with the 598s, if someone said these were lacking in bass, I'd completely agree if genres are taken into considerations. Timbre and clarity could be improved, as well as a much greater bass and treble extension.Anyone can bash on these headphones all they want and I GUARANTEE you I will not get angry or passionate about it. So to answer your question, no I'm not taking any of this seriously at all. Maybe it's not ME that's taking this seriously? 

I don't like arguing over the internet so let's stop. 

Despite this and other comments, I wasn't angry or mad. I like to point out my opinions even if they come across as flaming. The problem with forums like this, is that posts like mine may come out the wrong way, but it's more like just a friendly argument. None of my friends on here ever agree with me on how anything sounds and we sound like we're arguing too
normal_smile%20.gif
It's just constantly annoying when people question what I hear because I didn't do some silly blind test. I'm not here to be some test dummy for people. I'd rather listen to my music. If my impressions are different than the general consensus, then that's ok with me.

How do you know the E9 isn't a great sounding amp for the Q701?  I know you didn't say it was or wasn't. As a budget amp under $125 it blows away most portable amps. I'm sure there's better desktop amps under $150, but you'd have to pay a ton of extra shipping and import them from China. I've yet to try it with the LD MKI+ and by the time one orders that from China it'd probably cost another $40 after shipping. There's always used of course. The E9 actually sounds better for the Q701 than the $250 Asgard. Better synergy perhaps. Maybe the EF2A will work too, but that's $170.

The Q701 deserves more than the E9, but it's a good place to start. It sounds best to me on a very neutral amp. The Q701 doesn't need to be any warmer. Some people prefer that for the K702 though.

You have this data on the impedance output and that's good for a general idea, but in no way will that determine how the headphone is going to sound. The default answer from the science guys is "Oh, that has a 10ohm output? Won't work with anything under 80ohms and will sound terrible!". I have maybe 5 or so portable headphones and none of them sound bad (or worse) out of the large jack of my E9. The E9 is actually an upgrade in sound from my portable amps mostly. Sure, an IEM might be a bad idea, but maybe not. Who uses an IEM with an E9 anyway? BTW I guess i'm lucky that I've never had the Q701s signature change even remotely with a larger output impedance. Maybe others have. My KNS-8400 definitely does, but it has to be very high and 10ohm isn't. Believe it or not my 38ohm DJ100 sounds great from my 330ohm output receiver
biggrin.gif
And no bloated bass here...

I have the opinion that people shouldn't comment on amp/dac pairings unless they've actually tried that combination with their own ears. It's perfectly ok to mention the high output impedance, but don't just claim it will ruin the sound without knowing for sure. Suggestions are ok. Same things for suggesting headphones. If they haven't heard it, it's a good idea not to suggest it unless it's listed as FWIR.

The only thing I don't like about the 598 is that I wish it was a little clearer. It's not an issue of treble. It's a lot grainier than the HD-580, but it's hard to tell. The soundstage also isn't as accurate as it could be, but still good. Imaging on the K601 is far better. $250 is also too high IMO. I would say $175 is a fair price. The best thing about the 598 is that it is fairly well detailed (not overkill) and easy to drive.

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #59 of 86
Quote:

Despite this and other comments, I wasn't angry or mad. I like to point out my opinions even if they come across as flaming. The problem with forums like this, is that posts like mine may come out the wrong way, but it's more like just a friendly argument. None of my friends on here ever agree with me on how anything sounds and we sound like we're arguing too
normal_smile%20.gif
It's just constantly annoying when people question what I hear because I didn't do some silly blind test. I'm not here to be some test dummy for people. I'd rather listen to my music. If my impressions are different than the general consensus, then that's ok with me.

How do you know the E9 isn't a great sounding amp for the Q701?  I know you didn't say it was or wasn't. As a budget amp under $125 it blows away most portable amps. I'm sure there's better desktop amps under $150, but you'd have to pay a ton of extra shipping and import them from China. I've yet to try it with the LD MKI+ and by the time one orders that from China it'd probably cost another $40 after shipping. There's always used of course. The E9 actually sounds better for the Q701 than the $250 Asgard. Better synergy perhaps. Maybe the EF2A will work too, but that's $170.

The Q701 deserves more than the E9, but it's a good place to start. It sounds best to me on a very neutral amp. The Q701 doesn't need to be any warmer. Some people prefer that for the K702 though.

You have this data on the impedance output and that's good for a general idea, but in no way will that determine how the headphone is going to sound. The default answer from the science guys is "Oh, that has a 10ohm output? Won't work with anything under 80ohms and will sound terrible!". I have maybe 5 or so portable headphones and none of them sound bad (or worse) out of the large jack of my E9. The E9 is actually an upgrade in sound from my portable amps mostly. Sure, an IEM might be a bad idea, but maybe not. Who uses an IEM with an E9 anyway? BTW I guess i'm lucky that I've never had the Q701s signature change even remotely with a larger output impedance. Maybe others have. My KNS-8400 definitely does, but it has to be very high and 10ohm isn't. Believe it or not my 38ohm DJ100 sounds great from my 330ohm output receiver
biggrin.gif
And no bloated bass here...

I have the opinion that people shouldn't comment on amp/dac pairings unless they've actually tried that combination with their own ears. It's perfectly ok to mention the high output impedance, but don't just claim it will ruin the sound without knowing for sure. Suggestions are ok. Same things for suggesting headphones. If they haven't heard it, it's a good idea not to suggest it unless it's listed as FWIR.

The only thing I don't like about the 598 is that I wish it was a little clearer. It's not an issue of treble. It's a lot grainier than the HD-580, but it's hard to tell. The soundstage also isn't as accurate as it could be, but still good. Imaging on the K601 is far better. $250 is also too high IMO. I would say $175 is a fair price. The best thing about the 598 is that it is fairly well detailed (not overkill) and easy to drive.

I think you'd need to have a significantly higher output impedance than the E9 has to have a noticeable effect on the sound of the 70X, which is 64ohms, I think. I remember reading about this issue on nwavguys forum, and even with the 32ohm output on the mkV amp the effect on the frequency response is pretty minimal. For someone on a tight budget ,the E9 is a probably good option. If you can go a little higher, the O2 has close to zero output impedance and goes for under $150 new. Not sure if it's expectation bias or not, but it seems to do very well with all my headphones. It's pretty much got a ruler flat frequency response with most headphones according to the specs I've seen. But the E9 should be very close, FWIR.

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #60 of 86
I once had a Fiio E9 and a AKG 702 at the same time, With the stock op-amp installed in the Fiio E9. I didn't ;like the pairing because of the OPA2134 making it not sound right.  Then after I opened the E9 up and change out the OPA2134 to another op-amp. Then I liked the pairing.  Note the Fiio E9 I had at the time, had dip-8 sockets on the pcb. Which why I was able to change out the op-amps. Newer E9 suppose to not have the Dip-8 socket on its PCB.

The Xonar STX did a good job with the AKG702 even tho it might not gave them enough power. I had to use high gain, i think it was. But like the E9 I had after it, I changed the op-amps that the STX used as I didn't like the ones that was used on the STX with the AKG 702's. But the op problems with the mids sound like the amp isn't giving it enough juice to power them. As I was able to get that simlar issue when I ran the AKG 702 un amped checking how it would sound, which also effected it deep bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back