Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 22, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #15,931 of 15,986
Auro works In entering Pcm management, it is in the posted photo, and then changing the selected setting from "Direct" to "Auromatic."

Try the "auro PRE" options. Movie is the best for me, for music as well as 2.0 or 5.1 upconversion to 13.1.
There is only Direct, Surround, and DTS option, I couldn't find Auromatic option:

IMG_4299.jpeg

IMG_4297.jpeg
IMG_4298.jpeg
I thought new machine purchased just recently should have Auro license, but only Atmos and DTS:X, so maybe this is the reason why there is no way to enable Auro 3D option. On Smyth website there isn't portal for Auro license purchase, and James seemed not frequently responded his email :frowning2:

There is another website selling Auro license: https://av-in.com/collections/accessoires-dorigine/products/mise-a-jour-auro-3d
Is there anyone bought the license here? Is it legit?

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #15,932 of 15,986
That is afaik the official French distributor of the Realiser, so should be totally legit, and most active, far more than the Smyths themselves.
It could be that he only sells to people who bought a Realiser from him, but I would just ask him.

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #15,933 of 15,986
In my experience, the secret of getting James to respond quickly to emails is to make the subject line very clear - something like “Auro license purchase”. Smyth are a tiny family operation but ultimately they need to make money. And to be fair, I found him highly responsive both for licenses and also fixing my Realiser a couple of years ago. Otherwise, Gilles, the French dealer, is probably your best bet.

Incidentally, once you have got Auro 3D installed and working, you may want to try out additional PRIRs from this forum - there are some excellent D&D and Genelec PRIRs available for free, and a superb set of PRIRs available commercially from John at 3DSoundShop. All are much better than the standard BBC rooms/speakers and should add immense value to your Realiser. I am listening to John’s Omega PRIR (in Auro 13.1 format) right now. Playing Anna Lapwood’s organ version of Interstellar upmixed from stereo - unbelievably realistic, especially the bass, which the Sennheiser 800s are not exactly renowned for.

Mar 22, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #15,935 of 15,986
Yes, the auromatic option worms. I will let James know your interested. You could call Smyth Research in Ireland over Viber or Skype.

James usually picks up the phone at Smyth Research Offices
In my experience, the secret of getting James to respond quickly to emails is to make the subject line very clear - something like “Auro license purchase”. Smyth are a tiny family operation but ultimately they need to make money. And to be fair, I found him highly responsive both for licenses and also fixing my Realiser a couple of years ago. Otherwise, Gilles, the French dealer, is probably your best bet.
Thank you both! I’ve wrote another email with more “enticing title” and see if James could response faster LOL.

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #15,936 of 15,986
Thank you both! I’ve wrote another email with more “enticing title” and see if James could response faster LOL.
Include the phrase "want to purchase Auro 3D license" in it.

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #15,938 of 15,986
It’s great to have James contacted me this morning. Now I have to buy a micro-SD and export the log file to James before putting an order.
As a micro SD card is also important for other operations related to a Realiser A16 unit, I think the following video tutorial at Smyth Research’s YouTube page is helpful (if you haven’t seen it already).

Realiser A16 Basics part 5: SD cards and firmware updates

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #15,939 of 15,986
As a micro SD card is also important for other operations related to a Realiser A16 unit, I think the following video tutorial at Smyth Research’s YouTube page is helpful (if you haven’t seen it already).

Realiser A16 Basics part 5: SD cards and firmware updates

It goes without saying but make sure to back up the data on your SD cards. This is especially important for PRIR and HPEQ files.

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #15,940 of 15,986
You'll need the card for Firmware, HPEQs, and PRIRs. They are very cheap, and since Smyth wants them formatted "FAT32" you'll need to buy 16 or 32 GB. Sandisk is probably one of the better ones. Make certain you back everything up, and do that every time the content on the card is revised.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #15,942 of 15,986
16G & 32G micro SD were out of stock at nearest BestBuy, I purchased a 64G and it works well on A16.

Does anyone knows how to install the certificate bin. file, is it the same methods as firmware update?
Follow the dts:X installation instructions found in the Downloads section of the Smyth website. It’s the same process as you use for the Auro3D permission file.

Put the bin file in a REALISER folder at the root of the SD card directory structure. Power up your A16 with the card installed and the firmware update manager will see and install the license.

IIRC this happens automatically whether or not you have the check for new firmware at power up enabled in the settings. I have it disabled but the Auro3D license was installed on power up for me.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #15,943 of 15,986
I’m curious as to whether anyone here has used a Surround Master to input multichannel to the A16 via the analog inputs. I don’t have an AVR with individual analog inputs, just HDMI, but maybe this would work well for my stereo album collection? I know that Auro3D is a great option too. If the SM sounds good it might spur me to repair my old Sunfire Ultimate AVR, which does have multichannel analog inputs.

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #15,944 of 15,986
I’m curious as to whether anyone here has used a Surround Master to input multichannel to the A16 via the analog inputs. I don’t have an AVR with individual analog inputs, just HDMI, but maybe this would work well for my stereo album collection? I know that Auro3D is a great option too. If the SM sounds good it might spur me to repair my old Sunfire Ultimate AVR, which does have multichannel analog inputs.
I have never used a Surround Master but it looks like a classic analog stereo matrix decoder which extends from stereo to quad and up to 5.1. Given that it now costs $695, you might get better value from the Auro 3D upmixer which provides a fully digital surround mix with dedicated processing to 13.1 speakers.

Similar to your suggestion, I previously thought about reusing my old Meridian kit and passing 5.1 Trifield to the Smyth analogue inputs, but installing Auro 3D has elevated the listening experience with both movies and my stereo listening, and completely removed the need for anything else. It even improves mono jazz and classical, which the Meridian couldn’t process.

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #15,945 of 15,986
I have never used a Surround Master but it looks like a classic analog stereo matrix decoder which extends from stereo to quad and up to 5.1. Given that it now costs $695, you might get better value from the Auro 3D upmixer which provides a fully digital surround mix with dedicated processing to 13.1 speakers.

Similar to your suggestion, I previously thought about reusing my old Meridian kit and passing 5.1 Trifield to the Smyth analogue inputs, but installing Auro 3D has elevated the listening experience with both movies and my stereo listening, and completely removed the need for anything else. It even improves mono jazz and classical, which the Meridian couldn’t process.
Correction - the Surround Master is digital, not analog. However, it isn’t clear from the website on how it generates the sound - seems to be a digital matrix decoder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back