Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 3, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #15,963 of 15,987
HDMI would work of course but my streamer does not have an HDMI output.
I had a similar problem and solved it by using Roon as the source, streaming Qobuz and Tidal. This allows Roon to downsample before music streams reach an endpoint (and many streamers can be configured as Roon endpoints.

Alternatively, if your streamer works with Airplay (like Roon does), you can route the stream to a used Apple TV - the downsampling happens automatically and you also get an HDMI link to your Smyth A16.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #15,964 of 15,987
I had a similar problem and solved it by using Roon as the source, streaming Qobuz and Tidal. This allows Roon to downsample before music streams reach an endpoint (and many streamers can be configured as Roon endpoints.

Alternatively, if your streamer works with Airplay (like Roon does), you can route the stream to a used Apple TV - the downsampling happens automatically and you also get an HDMI link to your Smyth A16.
Thanks for this solution. However that won't work in the case of my streamer. I use is the Presto Music streamer, dedicated to the streaming service by Presto. It is very simple and has no other settings. Before getting that streamer, I was using a dedicated PC using the Presto Music app as well as Jriver connected to the A16 through USB. That worked and is still working fine, but the convenience of streaming directly from a simple streamer controlled by the phone seemed very attractive at the time. I now understand from this that this is a bug or an un-activated feature that hasn't yet been addressed by Smyth Research. It must be very simple to fix, if they get it as a priority as all they need is to down-sample internally as described in their manual. I will send them an email to that effect but I don't have high hopes this will be resolved any time soon.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #15,965 of 15,987
Thanks for this solution. However that won't work in the case of my streamer. I use is the Presto Music streamer, dedicated to the streaming service by Presto. It is very simple and has no other settings. Before getting that streamer, I was using a dedicated PC using the Presto Music app as well as Jriver connected to the A16 through USB. That worked and is still working fine, but the convenience of streaming directly from a simple streamer controlled by the phone seemed very attractive at the time. I now understand from this that this is a bug or an un-activated feature that hasn't yet been addressed by Smyth Research. It must be very simple to fix, if they get it as a priority as all they need is to down-sample internally as described in their manual. I will send them an email to that effect but I don't have high hopes this will be resolved any time soon.

Another disadvantage of that approach is that you will not be able to stream Atmos music from Tidal to your A-16. Have you heard upsampled two channel music on your A-16? If not, you might decide it is not worth the effort. Not everyone likes it.

That aside, after the Realiser processes it, I do not think you will be able to tell the difference between inputting 44/48K vs higher resolution.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #15,966 of 15,987
Another disadvantage of that approach is that you will not be able to stream Atmos music from Tidal to your A-16. Have you heard upsampled two channel music on your A-16? If not, you might decide it is not worth the effort. Not everyone likes it.

That aside, after the Realiser processes it, I do not think you will be able to tell the difference between inputting 44/48K vs higher resolution.
I haven't listened to Atmos upsampled 2-channel music on my A16, however I am very pleased with the the speaker like listening experience my A16 provides to stereo recordings, whether hi-res or red book CD resolution as long as the original recording is good.

I am able to do all of this through a dedicated computer connected through USB to my A16, but I was hoping the simple streamer would be a more convenient solution. Clearly it isn't because of this limitation on sampling frequency by the A16. An HDMI equipped streamer might work, if such thing exists, but then I might as well keep my dedicated computer solution.

I sent an email to Smyth Research about this issue, but I doubt it will be a priority for them.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #15,967 of 15,987
Have you heard upsampled two channel music on your A-16? If not, you might decide it is not worth the effort. Not everyone likes it.

Atmos content or Auro content? When referencing atmos, It depends on the track, some Tidal atmos tracks are better done than others, auro is really cool. Love 2 to 13 channel Auro

I am considering a sale of my realiser for the time being. I will come back to the realiser in a couple of months, but something had come up, Accepting Pms. Will include a beta testers copy of the Atmos Cinema Professional Dolby theater captures in atmos as well as 13 channel auro 3d. Arrangements.
Also have a handful of seperate captured 16 channel and personal 24 channel speakers/rooms available in addition to Professional Omega 65" and 96" Studio Prirs. Professional Paradigm measurements were done for my ears as well, for 12.1.10.

All the accessories included with 24ch A16, and the unit is also under warranty until early May, 3, 2024.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #15,968 of 15,987
Auro 3D is now my default preference for both music and movies. It’s the first time that I have found surround upmixing to be so effective, giving a sense of space without losing depth, bass or clarity. Far better than my old Meridian speaker system or indeed anything speaker-based, because of the inevitable room issues. John’s Omega 13.1 setup from 3Dsoundshop is just the cherry on the cake.

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #15,969 of 15,987
Hello.
Long time lurker and first time poster. I wonder if someone can help me with a problem : the bass in my headphones is MUCH stronger on the left side.
Now this doesn't seem to do with the imbalance introduced with 2.16 firmware. I have this with the BBC room as well on my unit that has been updated to 2.17. I also have this no matter the headphones, even if I do an HPEQ measurement while wearing my headphones the "wrong way" and indeed, even when using no HPEQ (I mean the flatEQ option).

It is most obvious while playing the test sound and isolating the LFE virtual speaker and is reflected in the output level meter (that appears after pressing the PA button twice) that is about 5db higher on the left than on the right. I can definitely feel the imbalance in movies as well and ruins the experience. The other, non subwoofer, central virtual speakers seem fine

I'd be grateful for any help in troubleshooting this.

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #15,970 of 15,987
Hello.
Long time lurker and first time poster. I wonder if someone can help me with a problem : the bass in my headphones is MUCH stronger on the left side.
Now this doesn't seem to do with the imbalance introduced with 2.16 firmware. I have this with the BBC room as well on my unit that has been updated to 2.17. I also have this no matter the headphones, even if I do an HPEQ measurement while wearing my headphones the "wrong way" and indeed, even when using no HPEQ (I mean the flatEQ option).

It is most obvious while playing the test sound and isolating the LFE virtual speaker and is reflected in the output level meter (that appears after pressing the PA button twice) that is about 5db higher on the left than on the right. I can definitely feel the imbalance in movies as well and ruins the experience. The other, non subwoofer, central virtual speakers seem fine

I'd be grateful for any help in troubleshooting this.
The good news is.. it's most likely not a problem with your heafphones... Unfortunately... Unless you use the Direct Bass option... Or another SW.. the included BBC and Surrey SWs are both imbalanced to the left.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-research-realiser-a16.807459/post-17588258

Check the posts after the one above... The explanation continues.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #15,971 of 15,987
The good news is.. it's most likely not a problem with your heafphones... Unfortunately... Unless you use the Direct Bass option... Or another SW.. the included BBC and Surrey SWs are both imbalanced to the left.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-research-realiser-a16.807459/post-17588258

Check the posts after the one above... The explanation continues.
I'll read it in more detail later but a quick glance already tells me this is super helpful information. Thank you very much.

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #15,972 of 15,987
I'll read it in more detail later but a quick glance already tells me this is super helpful information. Thank you very much.
I just did a quick test for you...

You can create a listening room using one of the few X.2.X layouts and turn on BM (bass management) in the Configure section of the listening room. This will simultaneously activate both the BBC or Surrey SW and SW2 channels. This should fix your SW imbalance problem.

Other adjustments to SW Vol, and or LPF may need to be made to tweak the SW sound to your liking.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #15,973 of 15,987
I just did a quick test for you...

You can create a listening room using one of the few X.2.X layouts and turn on BM (bass management) in the Configure section of the listening room. This will simultaneously activate both the BBC or Surrey SW and SW2 channels. This should fix your SW imbalance problem.

Other adjustments to SW Vol, and or LPF may need to be made to tweak the SW sound to your liking.
@GalaxyFolder How did it work for you?

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #15,974 of 15,987
@GalaxyFolder How did it work for you?
Hi, sorry I haven't tried yet but I will and I appreciate your help. I'm really struggling with the damn machine's interface and manual. Right now, I 'm trying to test the 3Dsoundshop's files, which require engaging a stereo mixdown mode and I've been trying for the last 30 minutes with no success. I think I followed the GIF video'sinstructions correctly but nothing happens when I press the mixdown (speaker icon) key on the remote :frowning2:

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #15,975 of 15,987
which require engaging a stereo mixdown mode
I don't understand what you mean. Or is it just that you want to compare virtual speakers with normal headphone stereo?
(That is what the stereo mixdown function is for: produce a normal mixdown to stereo without virtual speakers.
However, to be able to use the stereo mixdown function you have to make sure it is enabled in the listening room that you use.
Go into the listening room, into the submenu 'Configure', check that 'Stereo' is on (green), go into the sub menu under 'Stereo' (by pressing the enter button with the "cursor" on 'Stereo' and check the settings there, every channel should be turned on, and directed to either Lh or Rh or both. I describe it a bit short and fast here, but maybe this is not what you are trying to do anyway. [Edit: and I forgot: av mode should be turned off in the preset settings (second page)])

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back