Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 5, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #15,841 of 15,987
Coming back to loud movie bass: At the weekend I rewatched Villeneuves Dune Pt. 1 in preparation to see Pt. 2 on thursday.
This is a very bass-heave movie! Especially those scenes where "The Voice" is used can easily overload headphones.
(Well if you hear louder than @castleofargh ... :wink: lol )

You could test for example the scene at about 24:30 when the Reverend Mother uses The Voice to command Paul to come over to her.

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #15,842 of 15,987
I forgot why I came here: Apple Vision Pro...
Does anyone know something about the audio setup concerning spatial audio?
One reviewer said that the audio seems to come from the direction of the picture, so there should be also an ear calibrating process involved.
Haven't read so far about this, but haven't read much at all until now about it.
Unfortunately it's not available in Europe, so I presume you couldn't even demo it in an Apple Store.
I'd really like to see making you wall virtually into a cinema screen, and how the picture quality of this will be.
Compared to the price of even only a mid end home cinema projector (my 6 yr JVC cost about 3500€ back then) the Apple goggles are not to be considered very expensive.

I need to visit a friend of mine who bought a Quest3 last year.

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #15,843 of 15,987
At roughly 11:14, I was quite confused by the announcement “Look left 180 degrees”.
In the A16 menu, under Apps-->PRIR measurements (SPK)-->Config look angles
it is possible to set for example:
Look-azi "on" +/- 30 deg x 1
and
Look-rear "on" 180 deg
(This I checked just now by setting it like that.)

In which case I expect the A16 to possibly announce during the measurement:
"Look center", "Look left 30 degrees", "Look right 30 degrees", and finally "Look left 180 degrees".
(This I didn't check, and I am not going to try because it is not usefull, see below:)

Of course this would not be a very usefull combination of look angles, because interpolation between look angles only works well up to 30 degrees difference, but apparently (I guess/assume from this video) it is possible to set it that way and do a measurement, and my next guess is that they chose this combination of settings by accident or without understanding what they were doing.

The setting
Look-rear "on" 180 deg
is needed to get full 360 degrees headtracking but should then of course be combined with for example
Look-azi "on" +/- 30 x 5
or
Look-azi "on" +/- 15 x 11

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #15,844 of 15,987
Coming back to loud movie bass: At the weekend I rewatched Villeneuves Dune Pt. 1 in preparation to see Pt. 2 on thursday.
This is a very bass-heave movie! Especially those scenes where "The Voice" is used can easily overload headphones.
(Well if you hear louder than @castleofargh ... :wink: lol )

You could test for example the scene at about 24:30 when the Reverend Mother uses The Voice to command Paul to come over to her.
I think my first post on this forum was asking about how quiet a certain portable amplifier could be, because the DAP I used at the time was too loud(at night again) at vol 1 on my JH13 custom IEMs. And vol 0 had no sound at all.
I've gone full circle on my audio journey. :smile_cat:

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #15,845 of 15,987
You should get an external amp with volume control. I use an AVR as volume control, the A16 is fixed to a certain volume.

Btw. in the video above at 7:26 they show the Dolby Renderer and it shows a "bed" of 7.1.2, I was talking about that several posts ago here.

The volume knobs of their unit are smaller than mine.

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #15,846 of 15,987
For anyone who's interested, James got back to me about the replacement mics, they cost $100 usd plus shipping.

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #15,848 of 15,987
@Eich1eeF By reading your posts it follows that you are either a professional or an advanced connoisseur in immersive sound formats. In the context of using Realiser A16 to play back Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D audio tracks, would the second format be more suitable because it is not object-based audio? In other words, as Auro-3D for home is not object audio, whilst Dolby Atmos is, then might Realiser A16 (SVS 16ch) sound somewhat more convincing in Auro-3D listening rooms? According to opinions of several users, at least Auromatic is better than other upmixers.
First of all, I'm no professional, nor would I consider myself a connoisseur. Auromatic being a better upmixer has little relation to Auro-3D vs. Atmos or DTS-X. My personal suspicion is that a 24 channel Atmos PRIR, where the same care was taken for each speaker would sound "better" than a 11.1 Auro setup. At the end of the day, it'll depend on the source material and what the person who mastered the mix did and possibly which version you personally like more if there are any significant differences at all.

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #15,849 of 15,987
That would really blow.

The A16 2U PRO-Dante at the Smyth website still shows the 4 HDMI inputs and 1 output. Once I learned about Dante (because of using Dante Via software for Virtuoso) I regretted not doing more research and possibly buying that model instead of the non-PRO. But without the HDMI inputs and the HDMI output, no sale.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #15,850 of 15,987
First of all, I'm no professional, nor would I consider myself a connoisseur. Auromatic being a better upmixer has little relation to Auro-3D vs. Atmos or DTS-X. My personal suspicion is that a 24 channel Atmos PRIR, where the same care was taken for each speaker would sound "better" than a 11.1 Auro setup. At the end of the day, it'll depend on the source material and what the person who mastered the mix did and possibly which version you personally like more if there are any significant differences at all.
Thanks for your explanations. It’s good that Realiser A16 might be built as various home and professional series.

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #15,851 of 15,987
That would really blow.

The A16 2U PRO-Dante at the Smyth website still shows the 4 HDMI inputs and 1 output. Once I learned about Dante (because of using Dante Via software for Virtuoso) I regretted not doing more research and possibly buying that model instead of the non-PRO. But without the HDMI inputs and the HDMI output, no sale.
It's probably just a specialized model for music or movie production where they use the Dolby Renderer. They won't be sending bitstream audio so they don't need HDMI. And they wouldn't use USB over Dante.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #15,852 of 15,987
It's probably just a specialized model for music or movie production where they use the Dolby Renderer. They won't be sending bitstream audio so they don't need HDMI. And they wouldn't use USB over Dante.

The price seems very good. It is PCM only. It seems like a smart pro-audio product for Smyth to offer.

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #15,853 of 15,987
After seeing Dune Pt. 2 yesterday I can without doubt say that this will be a sound (and picture) reference and a massive challenge for every bass-system, be it with speakers or headphones!

Mar 17, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #15,854 of 15,987
Gentlemen, if I were to publish an app for the A16 that does basically the same as the Centro Control app, but now it's native Android (and possibly IOS too if a lot of you are iphone users) - would you use it?

If yes, would you pay $9.98 for it? If not, why not or how much instead? And on which platform, Android or IOS?

I've been meaning to do this for a while because i can't see the screen from where I'm sitting. However, i'd have to get someone else to write most of it since I'm not a mobile app dev; I'm on the server side. Hence the price.

Mar 17, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #15,855 of 15,987
Gentlemen, if I were to publish an app for the A16 that does basically the same as the Centro Control app, but now it's native Android (and possibly IOS too if a lot of you are iphone users) - would you use it?

If yes, would you pay $9.98 for it? If not, why not or how much instead? And on which platform, Android or IOS?

I've been meaning to do this for a while because i can't see the screen from where I'm sitting. However, i'd have to get someone else to write most of it since I'm not a mobile app dev; I'm on the server side. Hence the price.
Sure, iOS for me.

I’ve taken a look at the IP (TCP) command set for the A16, as I was also interested in doing a web interface. Unfortunately the commands are limited. Normal operations - selecting a preset, volume level, looking at speaker levels - is well represented. But where I most need to watch the screen, during operations such as measuring a PRIR, building a listening room, or building a CXPRIR , the command set is limited to an app having to use a set of remote key presses (up/down/left/right arrow, enter, and so forth) in order to navigate into, say, the app menu and selecting the desired item. Dead reckoning as it were, with lots and lots of debugging likely necessary to ease those operations in an app. A good job of those sort of tasks would be worth more than $9.98, although I believe without access to screen dumps or the underlying data it would not be possible to show everything going on during, say, a PRIR. Or allowing a good interface for building listening rooms or CX’s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back