Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 9, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #15,271 of 15,986
yes of course I listened to them.. :xf_cool: how did you connect the A16 to the computer...
You can use any of A16s audio outs. RCA, Coax, toslink to record the SVS binaural audio.

I personally used the toslink from the A16 to my RME DAC... And then USB from the DAC to my computer. But if your computer has an optical in... You could connect your A16 directly to your sound card of your computer. I then use Audacity to record the binaural audio.

Before making the recording...It's important that you set the proper HPEQ for the headphones you plan on listening to outside of the Realiser.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #15,272 of 15,986
You can use any of A16s audio outs. RCA, Coax, toslink to record the SVS binaural audio.

I personally used the toslink from the A16 to my RME DAC... And then USB from the DAC to my computer. But if your computer has an optical in... You could connect your A16 directly to your sound card of your computer. I then use Audacity to record the binaural audio.

Before making the recording...It's important that you set the proper HPEQ for the headphones you plan on listening to outside of the Realiser.
Thanks... that sounds doable... :) Now I need to remember what I did with my cables...

Aug 9, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #15,273 of 15,986
Forgive me... I'm going to brag on Auro-3D/Auromatic... It's just awesome!

I started watching the classic film, The Treasure of Sierra Madre over the weekend. I was quite surprised about the soundtrack... It is a DTS 1.0 mono presentation. I say surprised because if I hadn't checked... I would have thought it was a standard 5.1 mix.

Whatever the Auromatic mixer is doing... It is doing it very well. Does the film have audio FX and whiz bangs coming from all of the 13.1 channels?... No. But with Auro set to Movie and strength set to 16... The virtual room fills with a very believable and immersive sound. It really incredible!

Auromatic definitely opens the doors to films I would have never considered watching. Highly recommend!

I've heard this line for years... But never knew where it came from. Awesome!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #15,275 of 15,986
Cool, so after nearly three months of waiting to get my A16 back, it shows up at my door today. After James repeatedly assured me that the two outstanding issues it had (before it outright died and forced my hand in returning it) were fixed and everything was golden now, it turns out he was full of crap. This was after I asked him multiple times how they were actually testing my unit to make sure the virtual speakers all played with actual content, since TEST mode works just fine and doesn't prove anything.

My USB interface never worked correctly with PC from day one, and despite him saying it worked for them, it still doesn't work. And no, it's not a user error problem either, because it was previously tested on a laptop that actually interfaced just fine with two other Realisers.

My listening rooms with any configuration of speakers greater than twenty do not work correctly, so I am stuck with twenty it seems. This was something I had been mulling over just living with before my unit flat out died and had to be returned, but it just makes me so mad that they never fixed the problems that they said they fixed.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #15,276 of 15,986
Cool, so after nearly three months of waiting to get my A16 back, it shows up at my door today. After James repeatedly assured me that the two outstanding issues it had (before it outright died and forced my hand in returning it) were fixed and everything was golden now, it turns out he was full of crap. This was after I asked him multiple times how they were actually testing my unit to make sure the virtual speakers all played with actual content, since TEST mode works just fine and doesn't prove anything.

My USB interface never worked correctly with PC from day one, and despite him saying it worked for them, it still doesn't work. And no, it's not a user error problem either, because it was previously tested on a laptop that actually interfaced just fine with two other Realisers.

My listening rooms with any configuration of speakers greater than twenty do not work correctly, so I am stuck with twenty it seems. This was something I had been mulling over just living with before my unit flat out died and had to be returned, but it just makes me so mad that they never fixed the problems that they said they fixed.
That’s absolutely awful; I feel for you. Do you have access to an HDMI setup as an alternative?

Aug 11, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #15,277 of 15,986
That’s absolutely awful; I feel for you. Do you have access to an HDMI setup as an alternative?

Not for my purposes. I was needing the USB to work for specific reasons, and it simply doesn't.

Spoke too soon too. I now no longer even have access to twenty speakers. It only plays up to eighteen now, so for all intents and purposes, I just have a sixteen channel Realiser now. They returned it worse than when I shipped it, aside from it actually functioning at all now.

Aug 11, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #15,278 of 15,986
Hello everyone,

After a long absence due to health problems and non-use of the A16, I have just put it back into service and encountered a problem that I did not have. This is the use of CentroControl for the use of IP commands (TCP).

Until the forced cessation of use everything worked without problem but now the application remains on "connecting" without more.

The configuration of the A16 network is 192.168.1.53, port 4101 TCP slave response activated with TCP inactive timeout on 30s.

my network is based on a box where I manually entered the fixed ip address and the mac address. The A16 does not appear in the list of equipment given by the box but on the A16 screen appears the bar at the bottom left flashing as soon as the centrocontrol application is running.

I have to say that I updated to 2.15.

Thanks in advance .

Christian

Aug 11, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #15,279 of 15,986
Hello everyone,

After a long absence due to health problems and non-use of the A16, I have just put it back into service and encountered a problem that I did not have. This is the use of CentroControl for the use of IP commands (TCP).

Until the forced cessation of use everything worked without problem but now the application remains on "connecting" without more.

The configuration of the A16 network is 192.168.1.53, port 4101 TCP slave response activated with TCP inactive timeout on 30s.

my network is based on a box where I manually entered the fixed ip address and the mac address. The A16 does not appear in the list of equipment given by the box but on the A16 screen appears the bar at the bottom left flashing as soon as the centrocontrol application is running.

I have to say that I updated to 2.15.

Thanks in advance .

Christian
I too sometimes encounter this issue...

If I remember correctly... for some reason... I noticed that the A16 MAC address changes / changed (which I don't understand)... It may have been after a firmware upgrade.

So I changed the last three digits of the IP in the A16 and matched that address to the centro control app... Re-entered the MAC address to the router and assigned the corresponding IP address... Then everything started working again.

Is your MAC address the same as it once was?

Give my method a try.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #15,280 of 15,986
Not for my purposes. I was needing the USB to work for specific reasons, and it simply doesn't.

Spoke too soon too. I now no longer even have access to twenty speakers. It only plays up to eighteen now, so for all intents and purposes, I just have a sixteen channel Realiser now. They returned it worse than when I shipped it, aside from it actually functioning at all now.
I’m sorry it happened like that. I think that such strange situations would have been easier to fix if Smyth Research had collaborating companies for service in the United States and not only in the United Kingdom or France.

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #15,283 of 15,986
Thanks @Litlgi74. I tried several IP addresses available on my network and no improvement. Are you using firmware version 2.15? Thank you so much. Christian
Hmmm I'm on firmware 2.12 and 2.15.

Did your MAC address change?

Aug 14, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #15,284 of 15,986
Thanks @Litlgi74. I tried several IP addresses available on my network and no improvement. Are you using firmware version 2.15? Thank you so much. Christian

This probably will not solve your issue, but I have seen weird IP issues fixed this way, so you might want to try... powering down your router (or cable modem) and the A16. Wait a bit and then power up the router. Once it is fully started, power up your A16.

Note: It is sometimes not enough to restart. So do fully turn off the router or pull the plug.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #15,285 of 15,986
Man, the Smyths really must think users are absolute morons.

James just replied to the email I sent on Friday about my unit still malfunctioning, and his reply regarding my unit not correctly interfacing with Windows via USB was "make sure you are downloading the USB drivers, and as the Realiser will only properly use specific programs within Windows, try using Reaper and let me know".

This is like the fourth time he's told me to download and install the drivers, despite telling him repeatedly that it's something I already had done from day one. Across three different PCs, one of which I did a completely fresh install of Windows just to test it out. This is the same issue I brought to his attention June of last year, and he told me to do the same thing then as now.

When I brought it with me to the studio, it was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was in fact a hardware problem, not a user issue, and I've told James this multiple times as well. Since he seems to either forget, or not even read what is written, this time I sent him pictures with bright red arrows highlighting the steps I took, from downloading the drivers, to installing them, to the errors Windows gives.

I am pretty confident that when he told me my USB problems were "fixed" that all he did was assume that since they changed one of the boards, that it would have fixed the problem, and that the unit he actually used to test various programs out on Windows was a test unit that they always use. Because had they actually hooked mine up to a PC, they would have clearly seen it does not work. :angry:

That's not even the biggest issue with mine either. I could live without ever hooking it up to my PC if my unit could correctly utilize more than eighteen speakers. James said that Stephen was "investigating this as he wrote me" whatever that means. Unless they have a sample that is actually malfunctioning, it's kind of hard to diagnose, especially if you don't actually know what you are looking for. You know, like previously when many users were reporting the "no sound" bug until switching to a default preset? They claimed for the longest time that they couldn't reproduce it.

If you are using a listening room that uses more than sixteen channels, I highly suggest you use the 360 Atmos demo to see that your unit is actually functioning properly. I didn't even know mine was not working as intended until eight months after having a twenty-three channel PRIR. Using Test Mode doesn't show any issues, it's only during the decoding process where the A16 isn't properly utilizing all of the speakers.

360 Atmos demo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back