Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 11, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #15,091 of 15,989
Ive been trying to contact Smyth about the pre-order but again radio silence are they still around looking to somehow get money back at this point its been way too long. also anyone had fight them to get pre-order money back and if so how to get evidence, would a credit card charge way back then be enough if I need to escalate this?

thanks guys
I also have had no reply from Symth Research over the years.

Jul 11, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #15,092 of 15,989
I only check in here every 3 or 6 months as I am not a glutten for punishment.

I was recently thinking / leaning towards requesting a refund of my full payment on my pre-order, as I thought I read Smyth was honoring that. ...Oh well.

I paid thru PayPal. Would be amazing if PayPal could be on my side here; as after all payment was made in full but goods were never rendered. PayPal claim to fame is backing the buyer in situations like that, right? :wink: But I can't imagine they would after all this time has passed.

Jul 11, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #15,093 of 15,989
I was recently thinking / leaning towards requesting a refund of my full payment on my pre-order, as I thought I read Smyth was honoring that. ...Oh well.

I paid thru PayPal. Would be amazing if PayPal could be on my side here; as after all payment was made in full but goods were never rendered. PayPal claim to fame is backing the buyer in situations like that, right? :wink: But I can't imagine they would after all this time has passed.
As far as I know nobody has ever received a refund. I checked with PayPal a couple of years ago and that was no dice to. Smyth will let you transfer your preorder to another party if you can find someone to buy it. The only other choice is to ante up the difference to full price. I would also insist that "full price" for a preorder is the original $4000 USD, not the $4700 they're currently asking.

Jul 12, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #15,094 of 15,989
Just let me know in advance before you all sue Smyth Research, so that I'll still be able to pay the difference to the full price of the 2nd Realiser I'm waiting for (by taking over a preorder), so that I will have 2 Realisers then (to have a spare, and they hopefully together last the next 30 years...)

Because after those lawsuits there will be no Smyth Research anymore, and such a (for me) "life saving" device will not be available anymore.

Thanks.

Jul 12, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #15,096 of 15,989
I only check in here every 3 or 6 months as I am not a glutten for punishment.

Exactly the same situation I am encountering with PayPal. They can't / won't help after all this time has passed.

Jul 15, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #15,098 of 15,989
... The only other choice is to ante up the difference to full price. I would also insist that "full price" for a preorder is the original $4000 USD, not the $4700 they're currently asking.

I just want the original device I paid for, without all the hardware and software and standards upgrades. lol!

I would consider doing that. But only if they had the system made and ready to ship that day.

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #15,099 of 15,989
There was some discussion a few weeks (or is it months) ago regarding A16’s avr capability and the pre outs. I’m using mine as a 3.1 speaker avr and although it’s extremely clunky and slow for this use case, I can confirm it is working. I even tested a thx optimiser blu ray and the A16 is indeed down mixing the 5.1/7.1 source into 3.1. IE, the rear channels are routed to the L&R with a slightly lower volume.

I would hence assume the same would be true for a 2.0 “room”. It would downmix all channels to whatever the current room is specified to be. 👍

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #15,100 of 15,989
About the latest 2.15 version firmware found a new bug: in the capture of PRIR found that the sound channel positioning serious deviation, the production of the prir, the centre of the sound positioning has been shifted to the right channel, the other channels in turn misaligned, about 20 ~ 30 °; restore the previous version of the firmware, 2.12, the problem no longer exists. Presumably, this is a problem brought on by the newly upgraded firmware (the test hardware is the 16-channel version A16 2U); has anyone else in the forum encountered this type of problem?
If no one else is having problems, then it's highly likely that my upgrade from 2.12 to 2.15 was less than successful?

Jul 18, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #15,101 of 15,989
(First I now better tell a little secret that I kept for quite a while already, in case someone was wondering: As you can see in my sig or may remember I pre-ordered an A16 in June 2017. And I am still waiting for that one. But I bought another A16 from a kickstarter backer who already received it. Practically unused, 16 channel headstand version.)

the centre of the sound positioning has been shifted to the right channel, the other channels in turn misaligned, about 20 ~ 30 °;
In each listening room, in submenu 'Configure' there is a setting 'HT offset'.
As you now know I have a 16 channel A16 in my possession. After upgrading from 2.11 to 2.12 I also had "rotated" speakers.
Then I checked the "HT offset" setting. In all listening rooms (4 x 32 = 128 listening rooms :triportsad:) it was set to '10' (meaning the speakers are rotated 10 degrees relative to position of the headtracker).

So maybe something similar could have happened in your case. After upgrading check the 'HT offset' setting. (And first check what it is now.)
Although I would find it strange in a few ways. Why with 2.15 in your case, and 2.12 in my case? Why would it be back to 0 when you went back to 2.12?

By the way: I did not upgrade to 2.15 yet.

[Edit: I changed my signature accordingly.]

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #15,102 of 15,989
(First I now better tell a little secret that I kept for quite a while already, in case someone was wondering: As you can see in my sig or may remember I pre-ordered an A16 in June 2017. And I am still waiting for that one. But I bought another A16 from a kickstarter backer who already received it. Practically unused, 16 channel headstand version.)

In each listening room, in submenu 'Configure' there is a setting 'HT offset'.
As you now know I have a 16 channel A16 in my possession. After upgrading from 2.11 to 2.12 I also had "rotated" speakers.
Then I checked the "HT offset" setting. In all listening rooms (4 x 32 = 128 listening rooms :triportsad:) it was set to '10' (meaning the speakers are rotated 10 degrees relative to position of the headtracker).

So maybe something similar could have happened in your case. After upgrading check the 'HT offset' setting. (And first check what it is now.)
Although I would find it strange in a few ways. Why with 2.15 in your case, and 2.12 in my case? Why would it be back to 0 when you went back to 2.12?

By the way: I did not upgrade to 2.15 yet.

[Edit: I changed my signature accordingly.]
Have checked the HT setting and it has been left at "0"; returned to 2.12 firmware, after capturing the production PRIR, checked the quality of the file was perfect, then upgraded again to 2.15 and it works fine.
To confirm if it is a firmware bug, re-recorded another PRIR and the same inaccurate positioning drift occurred again, so it does seem to be a firmware bug.
The best way to do it now is to make the PRIR under 2.12 firmware and use it under 2.15 firmware, because the Tactile out effect under 2.15 firmware is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back