Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 5, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #15,076 of 15,987
@Jonesing4A16: I’m writing this post even though I don’t think I’m the best person to answer your questions. If you’ve read the posts in this thread from the last few years, you can somehow conclude that those from Smyth Research don’t give much importance to what is written here. As for me, I think I can understand the frustration of those who haven’t received their Realiser A16 units yet. Those few from the kickstarter campaign who have yet to receive their Realiser A16 units might wait or pay the difference to the asking price. About the same for those with pre-orders. As I am not a lawyer, I don’t know how binding is a pre-order.
Thanks for your opinion. Here in the United States, I believe we as a group of deceived customers, could have long ago started a class action law suit against Symth Research. But I too am not a lawyer. Such a preceding may not be valid for an overseas company. Our collective frustration only continues. But as a 70 year old investor in poor health, I've been made aware that my days are numbered. I am also unable financially to pay the difference to the asking price.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #15,077 of 15,987
So I've now completed the "CSV-based RESTORE" of my A16 setup, following the factory reset required with the installation of firmware 2.15. Note that I had previously been somewhat behind, still running 2.11 which did not yet have the original delivered beta CSV processor. So I actually had to go forward with the 2.15 install and factory reset, in order for me to have the first opportunity to try out the CSV method.

And I can confirm that it worked almost perfectly. Yes, it took several days of work to customize the prototype XLSX sheets that were provided to match my configuration, but that really was a great way to review my previous configuration and re-organize all of the BMP screenshots I'd made previously, or take new screenshots for those setup screens I'd overlooked. So now I have a complete graphical collection of BMP images reflecting my setup, as well as the XLSX version of that same information from which the A16 can be rebuilt (mostly) fully automatically (mostly).

As expected there were a few minor clerical typos in my data entry, easily corrected either as the build process proceeded, or once the build process completed and I reviewed everything. Also I did not use the "macro approach" to automatically saving all of the sheets individually as a CSV. I preferred to do each sheet manually, myself, just to be sure I was saving things in the right place and in the right name and NOT re-saving the complete XLSX by accident, etc. A small amount of manual effort, but just a one-time task.

However I also did run across what I would characterize as some problems with the XLSX, as well as the CSV processor inside the A16 which seemed to not build my Auro listening rooms to match the CSV input.

(1) This isn't really critical, but on the Solo/Mute table as delivered in the sample XLSX, the value for the OH key shows as "T", and the keypad group values are shown as follows (which probably reflects a particular Smyth A16 setup):

losJPF.jpg

Actually I have the keypad solo group set to NO because I use those keys for "instant preset selection", so the values differing from true factory default doesn't really bother me. But to be a stickler for accuracy the actual default value for the OH key following a factory reset is "blank". And this is also what the User Manual shows in section 5.3.1, although there is no explicit description of what the OH key means (other than to group-play whichever six overhead speakers are shown in the "OH" boxes) and what its valid values might be if not "blank". I don't know if "T" and "blank" are functionally identical.

Nevertheless I decided to just blank out OH, and specify exactly the values shown following the factory reset, while also setting "Key Pad Group" to my NO preference to activate these keys for instant-preset selection.

nodBzN.jpg

(2) There are three different values shown or described in the documentation when making reference to the BBC PRIR for speaker extraction where the explicit user's PRIR does not contain all the specific speakers required to construct the particular listening room:

(a) use factory prir
(b) user factory prir
(c) use_factory_prir

There's no explanation of this in the documentation, so it's not clear if all three are usable valid values or just one or two of them. Anyway, I decided to change ALL of the references wherever they were needed to show the (a) value above, i.e. "use factory prir". That certainly seemed to work just fine.

(3) In defining the presets for each of the 8 users, the documentation says "First, select the username for the preset. This exposes the username list you entered in the Common user tables tab." And then there is an image provided to illustrate what is to be done:

SDFCSl.jpg

However in reality nothing like this actually occurred for me. I was unable to produce that username dropdown list by clicking on any of the cells in that table, including on the 'Name" title, or any of the 16 cells below it in that column E. I eventually just gave up and manually clicked on the 8th cell in that column below "Name" (i.e. the name value on the same line as the "/1" and then manually typed in the correct username.

LvgEml.jpg

(4) Although I'm not doing any measurement so this oversight isn't at all critical, it appears that the "Settings -> Headphones" section (as described in User Manual section 5.2) is missing from the XLSX. So there's no way to automatically install these values. The XLSX and CSV processor needs to be updated to include support for this one additional table.

Not urgent. Just for completion it's easy enough to manually populate the proper values in the A16 once the CSV build process completes.

Note that the XLSX and CSV processor also need to be updated to support the relocation of the Auro settings to be specifically preset within each preset, from where they previously were "globablly" located in "Misc Settings". Support for the Headphones table can be incorporated at the same time.

(5) Now for the one VERY SIGNIFICANT PROBLEM that I did encounter. All of the above items are minor and trivial. But this one did require me to spend a bit of time carefully correcting and rebuilding my Auro listening rooms.

==> Despite my XLSX "Auro listening rooms" sheets (I have two of them, one for Auro rooms 5-8 and a second for Auro rooms 9-12) and corresponding saved two CSV files being correctly coded, the CSV processor's construction of the Auro rooms DID NOT CORRECTLY REFLECT THE AURO ROOM LAYOUT I had coded for my non-skipped actual Auro rooms 5-10 (5-8 in the first CSV, and 9-10 in the second CSV). I believe it was only for my Auro rooms 7-9 that were built wrong, with rooms 5-6 and 10 being built correctly. The problem with rooms 7-9 was that the CSV processor forced "7.1.4h" as the room layout and set up the room speakers that way even though that was not the room layout I'd specified for those three rooms.

Note that the real cause of this problem may be that there is no dropdown list that appears in that room layout cell to specify what is supposed to be the correct value for that cell. Yes, there would be a different set of valid room layout values depending on Atmos, Auro, DTS or PCM rooms. But still, it's not clear exactly what the value in room layout cell should be for Auro in particular when some of the values shown in the documentation (i.e. the 2.15 Install Instructions which provides the Auro room layouts) actually differ from the name of that layout which the A16 offers if you do a manual room construction on the A16 itself.

Although theoretically this same problem could also exist for other listening rooms classes (i.e. Atmos, DTS and PCM) it is only for my Auro rooms 7-9 that I had this problem, most likely because I'd manually specified the incorrect room layout value in the absence of a dropdown list to guarantee I was choosing the correct value.

To be specific, the layouts of my six Auro rooms are: 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, 11.1, 13.1, and 7.1.4h. These correspond to layout numbers: 12, 22, 16, 20, 26 and 24, from the following chart provided in the 2.15 instructions:

JB4oxJ.jpg

However the actual "LAYOUT NAMES" for Auro rooms as offered by the A16 itself (where it is referred to as "Listening Mode") for my particular 6 Auro rooms are: 5.1, 7.1, Auro 9.1, Auro 11.1, Auro 13.1, and 7.1.4h.

==> I should have manually coded: "Auro 9.1" rather than "9.1", and "Auro 11.1" rather than "11.1", and "Auro 13.1" rather than "13.1". That is my hunch.

I'm sure it was no coincidence that the three Auro rooms 7-9 where my manually coded room layout values (as shown in the chart) differed from the values most likely edited for by the A16 CSV processor all got built incorrectly, all three producing 7.1.4h by default error-correcting action. That is my hunch.

I've now changed my three room layout values for Auro rooms 7-9 to be what I think they should be (again, in the absence of a dropdown list of valid values in the XLSX cells to select from). I would like to re-run just the Auro listening room CSVs to see if my hunch is correct, ending up with the properly built Auro listening rooms. I'm hoping that will actually work (even though I've already manually corrected Auro rooms 7-9 using the A16 itself). I'm hoping I can do just this "corrective rerun of only the Auro listening rooms CSVs" and not need another full factory reset and full CSV rebuild to prove my theory.

EDIT: Just updated my XLSX in anticipation of my re-run of the Auro listening room re-build. I WAS able to enter "Auro 9.1" instead of "9.1", and it was accepted and the speakers shown remained just as it was before. Similarly, I was able to change "11.1" to "Auro 11.1" and again the speakers remained unchanged. However when I changed "13.1" to "Auro 13.1" that apparently is invalid (incorrectly so, obviously) because all the speakers got flushed and replaced by "#N/A".

==> It would appear the XLSX must be updated to accept "Auro 13.1".

In the meantime I will manually enter the correct values for all the speakers while also retaining the value oa "Auro 13.1" which I believe is what the CSV processor in the A16 is actually looking for. I should therefore get the correct "Auro 13.1" instead of "7.1.4h" for room 9.

We shall see.
(NOTE: somehow there is a stray "attachment" on this post that I didn't intend to post, of my first screenshot, and I don't know how to delete it. Sorry for the distraction.).

Attachments

• A16-CSV-solo-mute.jpg
    A16-CSV-solo-mute.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #15,078 of 15,987
The corrections to now specify Auro 9.1, Auro 11.1 and Auro 13.1 values for the "room layout" (aka "listening mode", aka "format", aka "loudspeaker configuration") worked. Or at least I believe that is the explanation for why the finished A16 "listening mode" looks correct and all the relevant speakers are present.

But in the process of correcting/loading/verifying (and I ended up reviewing all of my tables, and re-saving all of my CSVs, and re-loading all of them, and re-verifying... several times before I finally got everything perfect!) I discovered one other interesting and critical value in the XLSX. And in the process of learning about that value I think I may have unwittingly changed that value myself not realizing what it was for or how critical.

I am referring to the number that gets placed automatically into the outside upper-left-corner cell just outside every listening room definition table. This value is actually the "format table subscript-1" (i.e. the A-column value) into each of the four format subtables that are in the "A16 tables (do not alter)" sheet in the XLSX. I believe this number gets stored in the CSV and thus read by the CSV processor in the A16, even though it's not something we the user configured. And it seems to be used in the A16 to produce the "listening mode" value that appears for that listening room, thus describing the speaker layout of this listening room to the A16.

I had thought it was the incorrect characters I was coding (e.g. "9.1" instead of "Auro 9.1") that explained why my A16 Auro listening roojm was incorrect. But now I'm not sure, because this other "format table subscript-1" value actually seems to be the driving force, not the text characters I entered. Yes, the characters I enter for that "room layout" in the XLSX do get presented on the display screen of the A16 as the CSV processor is running. But in fact the "listening mode" that gets installed and the corresponding speakers do seem to be derived from this "format table subscript-1" which MUST CORRECTLY POINT TO THE PROPER FORMAT ROW IN THE FORMAT TABLE. And in the case of the "Auro 13.1" which results in the #N/A everywhere, the manual entry of all the speaker names etc. must also include the correct manual entry of the proper subscript-1 value into the Auro format table.

And once I figured out how this all worked and made sure anything I entered was valid and correct and consistent with other items, well now my Auro listening rooms on the A16 are all being built properly. So be careful not to step on that value as you work on the XLSX. And if you have to manually enter everything (as for some reason I needed to do for did for this Auro 13.1 format) be sure to enter that subscript-1 value as well.

bZSbse.jpg
DQccUY.jpg

Jul 7, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #15,079 of 15,987
Now I do have one final problem that I can't seem to resolve through any corrections to the XLSX. I'm forced to manually fix things after-the-fact in the A16. Only takes a second so it's not a big deal but surely there's an explanation for what is going on, and surely there must be something I must do to resolve this before-the-fact in the XLSX itself.

==> Can someone help me figure this out, and suggest a solution? It occurs only for my DTS 7.1 listening room and no other listening room that also uses the same base AIX 7.1 PRIR for its eight ear-level speakers (e.g. not for DTS 7.1.4h, etc.). Story below.

Background: I use my two legacy AIX PRIRs (5.1 and 7.1) originally captured through the A8 and long since converted into A16 format for use on the A16, as the providers for ear-level speakers for every one of my listening rooms, both non-immersive as well as immersive. All additional speakers that are required come from the BBC. So the ear-level 5.1 and 7.1 speaker assignments from the two PRIRs looks as follows (note specifically that the side speakers in the 5.1 PRIR are Ls/Rs and the side speakers in the 7.1 PRIR are Lss/Rss). The third one is the 7.1.4h definition in the XLSX:

gGAh6B.jpg
s3nyCC.jpg
029CyZ.jpg

The problem: specifically when the DTS 7.1 listening room is built by the CSV processor, for some reason it looks for the Ls/Rs speakers instead of the Lss/Rss speakers that the CSV says to find in my AIX 7.1 PRIR. Note that this does NOT happen with, for example, the DTS 7.1.4h listening room which is specified exactly the same way, namely to load Lss/Rss.

Hence the DTS 7.1 listening room output of the CSV processor for DTS 7.1 uses the BBC speakers named Ls/Rs instead of the AIX speakers for Lss/Rss. But the DTS 7.1.4h listening room is built perfectly correctly, with Lss/Rss from the AIX PRIR.

What could be happening?? Also note from the following screenshots that the DTS 7.1 room has some bizarre GAIN values inserted for speakers SW and beyond, whereas DTS 7.1.4h does not. Also there is "NO PRIR" for each empty speaker slot for DTS7.1.4h, and nothing for DTS 7.1

(1) DTS 7.1:

MdcsHe.jpg
mjOreQ.jpg

(2) DTS 7.1.4h:

jojHoU.jpg
XuihRH.jpg

==> Could it be a bug in the CSV processor itself???

Note that I've double-checked the CSV file itself, and it absolutely says to look for Lss/Rss. And yet at run time the CSV processor says it is looking for Ls/Rs and can't find them (of course not, because they're not in my 7.1 PRIR), and reverts to BBC.

And it's only for this one DTS 7.1 listening room and no other!!! Same 8 speakers from my AIX 7.1 PRIR for all of the rooms!!

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #15,081 of 15,987
Today, in the city where I live, 154 years have passed since the start of the public transport service with horse-drawn trams. Will anyone remember the Realiser A16 in another 154 years?
01.jpg02.jpg
More recently in the year 2023, Symth Research has lost interest in delivering the promised A16 to its financial backers from the year 2017!

Jul 9, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #15,083 of 15,987
As I wrote here some time ago, I think that the kickstarters campaign and then the approach with pre-orders have been like a much too large hat for Smyth Research’s head.
I agree. The Kickstarter offer price was supposed to cover initial production costs, but in retrospect was far too cheap, and I am sure that Smyth have lost substantial amounts of money on every unit. In the end, that hasn’t been sustainable for a small company, hence the well known delays and supply issues.

Other small companies in the tech space have flourished by licensing some of their software and hardware designs to others and expanding the market (Sooloos and Roon, for example). Hopefully Smyth will soon find a growth strategy that lets it deliver on existing obligations while still supporting future customers in the pro and hifi world.

Jul 10, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #15,084 of 15,987
Today, I’ve wandered a bit at the Trinov website and came across a comprehensive speaker layout guide introduction, which can be downloaded for free
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qFpM5c9_n_0PU6EcW-J5qFvf4QDWqjg3

It’s not exactly a holiday reading, but it can still shed some light on the philosophy behind the three most used formats (Dolby Atmos, Auro-3D And DTS:X) and how the layouts are built.

As the release notes for firmware rev. 2.15 focused on Auro-3D, a Realiser A16 owner might read at page #6 that the specific layout “is optimized not only to reproduce 2 layers of sound but more importantly to reproduce sound sources between the 2 layers to achieve a continuous vertical spread of the sound image and an enveloping experience”.

Of course, the guide is intended for those who want to set up a home theatre or one for listening to immersive music. However, Realiser A16 owners can learn what might suit them better if they want to make PRIR measurements in a certain location.

Jul 10, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #15,085 of 15,987
I agree. The Kickstarter offer price was supposed to cover initial production costs, but in retrospect was far too cheap, and I am sure that Smyth have lost substantial amounts of money on every unit. In the end, that hasn’t been sustainable for a small company, hence the well known delays and supply issues.

Other small companies in the tech space have flourished by licensing some of their software and hardware designs to others and expanding the market (Sooloos and Roon, for example). Hopefully Smyth will soon find a growth strategy that lets it deliver on existing obligations while still supporting future customers in the pro and hifi world.
As I have complained before, what happened to the Symth Research growth strategy as they stated: "A16 Kickstarter Update May 2018. Smyth Research has joined forces with Heavenly Sound Co, Ltd., a Shanghai based company, and have opened a Heavenly Sound UK office." Has all or part of the Kickstarter and Pre-Order investor money been lost with that deal going bad? Typical, Symth Research ignores all inquires. Doesn't that fiasco aggravate any other investor?

Jul 10, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #15,086 of 15,987
@Jonesing4A16: I’ve noticed that the more you read about Smyth Research, the more your blood boil. Maybe it would be better for you not to give so much importance to the disappointment arrived from the lack of communication. All this mess with the long-delayed delivery of the Realiser A16 units will not be solved regardless of how many posts of complaint we write here.

Jul 10, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #15,087 of 15,987
As I have complained before, what happened to the Symth Research growth strategy as they stated: "A16 Kickstarter Update May 2018. Smyth Research has joined forces with Heavenly Sound Co, Ltd., a Shanghai based company, and have opened a Heavenly Sound UK office." Has all or part of the Kickstarter and Pre-Order investor money been lost with that deal going bad? Typical, Symth Research ignores all inquires. Doesn't that fiasco aggravate any other investor?
The Kickstarter should have officially failed like so many other campaigns. I believe Smyth had all the elements to declare the campaign a failure and leave it at that(investor protection from Kickstarter is null so it would be all benefits for them). Instead they decided to announce that they would honor the deliveries. It might be generosity, or it might be that declaring a failed campaign just to release the product latter isn’t legally viable?
It’s one of those ”sounds good, doesn’t work” moments. They got trouble after trouble, made a bunch of evolutions to the A16, some necessary, some, IMO, just as a typical overconfident overly enthusiastic Smyth move. Plus covid plus plus plus, they probably can’t deliver machines ”for free”(the money is now long gone), even if they wanted to.
Some here have suggested that Smyth reevaluates the production costs and offers delivery for a reasonable extra. That was a great idea in the beginning, it isn’t one anymore. Now all the people who paid full price(minus the initial Kickstarter cost they had already paid) would feel robbed if other people could get it for 1 or 2k$ cheaper and they would sue or demand to be reimbursed the difference, putting Smyth in yet another difficulty.

I think there is now a clear situation. Kickstarter backers must accept their loss(something everybody should do the day they give money to kickstarter), or go with the sunk cost fallacy and pay the full price to get an a1.
Those who pre-ordered might have more legal power as it’s an ordinary contract instead of the high risk investment of Kickstarter. But I’m just guessing and each country has its own law for product paid and never delivered.

Jul 10, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #15,088 of 15,987
Ive been trying to contact Smyth about the pre-order but again radio silence are they still around looking to somehow get money back at this point its been way too long. also anyone had fight them to get pre-order money back and if so how to get evidence, would a credit card charge way back then be enough if I need to escalate this?

thanks guys

Jul 11, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #15,089 of 15,987
@Jonesing4A16: I’ve noticed that the more you read about Smyth Research, the more your blood boil. Maybe it would be better for you not to give so much importance to the disappointment arrived from the lack of communication. All this mess with the long-delayed delivery of the Realiser A16 units will not be solved regardless of how many posts of complaint we write here.
This is the only place that I sometimes get a friendly response for my need to vent my frustration about the A16 debacle.

Jul 11, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #15,090 of 15,987
The Kickstarter should have officially failed like so many other campaigns. I believe Smyth had all the elements to declare the campaign a failure and leave it at that(investor protection from Kickstarter is null so it would be all benefits for them). Instead they decided to announce that they would honor the deliveries. It might be generosity, or it might be that declaring a failed campaign just to release the product latter isn’t legally viable?
It’s one of those ”sounds good, doesn’t work” moments. They got trouble after trouble, made a bunch of evolutions to the A16, some necessary, some, IMO, just as a typical overconfident overly enthusiastic Smyth move. Plus covid plus plus plus, they probably can’t deliver machines ”for free”(the money is now long gone), even if they wanted to.
Some here have suggested that Smyth reevaluates the production costs and offers delivery for a reasonable extra. That was a great idea in the beginning, it isn’t one anymore. Now all the people who paid full price(minus the initial Kickstarter cost they had already paid) would feel robbed if other people could get it for 1 or 2k$ cheaper and they would sue or demand to be reimbursed the difference, putting Smyth in yet another difficulty.

I think there is now a clear situation. Kickstarter backers must accept their loss(something everybody should do the day they give money to kickstarter), or go with the sunk cost fallacy and pay the full price to get an a1.
Those who pre-ordered might have more legal power as it’s an ordinary contract instead of the high risk investment of Kickstarter. But I’m just guessing and each country has its own law for product paid and never delivered.
Very true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back