Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 6, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #14,971 of 15,987
Not necessarily... as you can see, the left and right channels of both the BBC and Surrey SW suffer from an audible imbalance.

You could use the Direct Bass (DB) option which sends the SW frequencies of the source directly to the headphones. The positive would be that the subwoofer frequencies would be perfectly linear and outside the SVS processing/microphone compensation of the other PRIR channels. The negative (for me) is that the SW would lack the atmosphere, character and "rumble" of an actual subwoofer in a room. All the reverb of the room will be removed from the sound of the subwoofer... producing a very dry sound in comparison to the other speakers in the PRIR.

In the end... it's a personal preference.
Got it. Thanks. I dare a paraphrase for which I hope I won’t be blamed too much.

What’s in a subwoofer? That which we call a bass
By any other name would sound as low

Jun 6, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #14,972 of 15,987
Interesting. Thanks so much for the measurements (could do them myself but are just too lazy, resp. busy at work so I want to enjoy my spare time doing more enjoyable things, like watching movies, listening to music).
Since you seem to be in contact with Stephen (which I also was some time ago) maybe you just could ask him about the SW in the BBC and Surrey PRIRs.

This shelving filter I didn't know of. This explains a lot (for example why the bass of my studio made PRIR still sounds boomy... )

Before I had my own PRIR I used the Surrey PRIR and I noticed that the bass/SW goes very deep down.
In theory you could linearize a sub down to 5 Hz, but then it won't play loud enough for PRIR capturing.
(However there ARE some bass systems that go down to 5 Hz and stil can play at high levels though... )

The Surrey Center is full range, the dip at about 70 Hz hints that it was bass managed though (and not totally ideal)

With the A8 I made a PRIR in my own room, since this has lots of room modes I then used direct bass and basically had the same experience: very precise, but very dry.
I was even looking for some effects gear to add some reverb... lol

There is a bass system that should in reality be nearly as dry as the direct bass: The DBA (double bass array) This eliminates the room modes up to a certain frequency (depending on the grid size of the array). It is quite common in german high end home cinemas, not so common in the US as far as I know.
But I never really heard a DBA to be honest.

Jun 6, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #14,973 of 15,987
Interesting. Thanks so much for the measurements (could do them myself but are just too lazy, resp. busy at work so I want to enjoy my spare time doing more enjoyable things, like watching movies, listening to music).
Since you seem to be in contact with Stephen (which I also was some time ago) maybe you just could ask him about the SW in the BBC and Surrey PRIRs.

This shelving filter I didn't know of. This explains a lot (for example why the bass of my studio made PRIR still sounds boomy... )

Before I had my own PRIR I used the Surrey PRIR and I noticed that the bass/SW goes very deep down.
In theory you could linearize a sub down to 5 Hz, but then it won't play loud enough for PRIR capturing.
(However there ARE some bass systems that go down to 5 Hz and stil can play at high levels though... )

The Surrey Center is full range, the dip at about 70 Hz hints that it was bass managed though (and not totally ideal)

With the A8 I made a PRIR in my own room, since this has lots of room modes I then used direct bass and basically had the same experience: very precise, but very dry.
I was even looking for some effects gear to add some reverb... lol

There is a bass system that should in reality be nearly as dry as the direct bass: The DBA (double bass array) This eliminates the room modes up to a certain frequency (depending on the grid size of the array). It is quite common in german high end home cinemas, not so common in the US as far as I know.
But I never really heard a DBA to be honest.
nearly all of us are used to hear with the acoustic of the room and it includes the room gain and modes for the bass...
in the near future, we will progressively need to adapt our taste to a new type of sound signature with new technologies like Trinnov Waveforming or the new Dirac live room etc which will have a better "clean" bass management...with nearly no room modes in theory...
imo, we can already have a test of how it can sounds with our realiser direct bass function which can generate a "perfect" anechoic bass .....kind of lucky..?

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #14,975 of 15,987
It may be too early to ask, but does anyone see a potential competitor of the Smyth Realizer in the new Apple Vision Pro Technology?

Personally, I would like to be able to wear and test drive one before jumping to any conclusions, but from where I am standing, this new toy seems to have tremendous potential and promise, and I do not know why the Smyth Realizer is one of the first technologies that came to my mind after I watched the apple event, except that this could be so much better, and even improve in several different ways.

I just thought I should ask.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #14,976 of 15,987
I have done side by side comparisons between the A16 and Apple Spatial Audio. While Apple's tech is incredibly impressive for a consumer device, it does not remotely compare to the A16. The spatial definition is 99% perfect ... whereas Apple's tech is a little blurrier with less virtual speakers. This will likely improve over time, though.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #14,980 of 15,987
It may be too early to ask, but does anyone see a potential competitor of the Smyth Realizer in the new Apple Vision Pro Technology?

Personally, I would like to be able to wear and test drive one before jumping to any conclusions, but from where I am standing, this new toy seems to have tremendous potential and promise, and I do not know why the Smyth Realizer is one of the first technologies that came to my mind after I watched the apple event, except that this could be so much better, and even improve in several different ways.

I just thought I should ask.

Unfortunately, Smyth Research seems to be unable to complete the (pre)orders they have received for the Realiser A16. More recently came a collaboration with Audio XD from France for the Realiser A16 Speaker Edition version, which seems to be more of a competitor for BACCH devices. Whether or not they have in mind another device based on Smyth Virtual Surround technology, only an official release could shed light.

What the new Apple Vision Pro Technology is concerned, I think some professionally independent reviews are necessary and not just marketing videos.

Jun 8, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #14,981 of 15,987
Ok. I have a lazy question…and so apologies. I haven’t tinkered with the A16. For over a year as I have been happy with my atmos room created and downloaded from jazzfan’s prir files (Dutch speakers) at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MWWb8KELPBbAC5WSHf82UXeV73v1O84W

Now, I just got a blu ray that only has dts master 5.1 and so my machine can only play it via PCM…do I have to go through the whole procedure described by jaZzfan or is there an eaier way to transfer/transform my atmos room’s data to a new PCM room…hopefully at least one of you understand what I am saying. I am lazy to do the whole procedure again…and also have afraid of tinkering with a microsd cars will brick the machine or screw something up. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #14,982 of 15,987
Easy peasy...

In the listening room menu... Change Loading to "only Atmos" and all content will play in the Atmos room you've already created.

Screenshot_20230608_224338_Gallery.jpg

PS... The only time I wouldn't recommend this is when playing Auro-3D or Auro upmixed content... Auro has specific height and elevation specifications for the height channels. They are not compatible with Atmos specs.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #14,983 of 15,987
Easy peasy...

In the listening room menu... Change Loading to "only Atmos" and all content will play in the Atmos room you've already created.

You are a genius. So. Even though I have not created a specific PCM room with jazzfan’s prir, you are saying it is outputting in PCM using that atmos room listening room. See photo

Attachments

• IMG_8175.jpeg
    IMG_8175.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jun 8, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #14,985 of 15,987
Ok. Another stupid question…so why would I want to upgrade to DTS-X if I can do this.
To play DTSX content. 🤪 The height channels of DTSX cannot be converted to PCM. You would also need the DTSX decoder if you wanted to up next using Auro-3D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back