Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 1, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #14,941 of 16,047
There are two... 😆 BBC?

Although it's not enough to not hear the subwoofer in one channel and not the other.. The BBC does have a 5db difference between the left and right channels.

PS... The 1266 TC has been by far the most challenging headphone HPEQ to capture correctly... I've all been given up on it.
The BBC one. Interesting about the 5db difference. That could be contributing to the imbalance perhaps.

I'm going to try to measure the TCs again tomorrow, but first I'm going to try with the Shang Sr. My ear canals are strangely shaped and it's hard for me to put in the earbuds correctly too. I guess another day of experimenting

Jun 1, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #14,943 of 16,047
Jun 1, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #14,944 of 16,047
@Ciggavelli: I see you also have Stax headphones. Smyth has used and recommended Stax so why not try those?
I agree... I don't see the HD800s in your signature... So I would definitely be trying the X9000. I briefly tried them with the A16. They are great and can definitely handle the low frequency bass of the LFE... Much more comfortable than the TCs

Jun 2, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #14,946 of 16,047
I'm still very interested in seeing a screenshot of the "About" page taken from more recently constructed A16s. Anybody?
I’ve noticed that there’re various concerns with respect to Realiser A16. My Realiser A16 unit hasn’t been constructed recently. Nevertheless, I’ve attached three screen captures of my “About” pages. Maybe, the attached pictures are useful for owners of more recently constructed A16s.

Attachments

• 01.Realiser.A16.About.jpg
    01.Realiser.A16.About.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0
  • 02.Realiser.A16.About.jpg
    02.Realiser.A16.About.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 03.Realiser.A16.About.jpg
    03.Realiser.A16.About.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 0
Jun 2, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #14,947 of 16,047
So, it's not my optical cable that is causing the sub imbalance. I tried with my Focal Utopias straight out of the A16 and the sub channel imbalance is still there. I tried both PRIR files. Something is definitely wrong. It happens with a flat eq too

Jun 2, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #14,948 of 16,047
So, it's not my optical cable that is causing the sub imbalance. I tried with my Focal Utopias straight out of the A16 and the sub channel imbalance is still there. I tried both PRIR files. Something is definitely wrong. It happens with a flat eq too
That's really weird. If I remember correctly, when I was adjusting the bass gain/volume for my subpac, there was a left and right volume control...perhaps there is a mismatch there. I am away from my A16 and can't go through the menus...nor do I probably remember how to as I haven't adjusted anything for over a year.

Jun 2, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #14,949 of 16,047
That's really weird. If I remember correctly, when I was adjusting the bass gain/volume for my subpac, there was a left and right volume control...perhaps there is a mismatch there. I am away from my A16 and can't go through the menus...nor do I probably remember how to as I haven't adjusted anything for over a year.
I'll do some more searching. Thanks! Hopefully I don't have a defective unit

Jun 2, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #14,950 of 16,047
Now my USB driver is no longer working, and I can't seem to uninstall it without uninstaller getting hung up. Every time I try to install it again, it says it works, but it has stopped showing up in windows and foobar for some reason. I'm starting to hate this device :triportsad:

Jun 2, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #14,951 of 16,047
Now my USB driver is no longer working, and I can't seem to uninstall it without uninstaller getting hung up. Every time I try to install it again, it says it works, but it has stopped showing up in windows and foobar for some reason. I'm starting to hate this device :triportsad:
I have never used the USB input...perhaps that is where it is wonky. I have always fed it from my blu ray player for movies and concerts...it is truly phenomenal for dolby atmos movies via hdmi at least.....it is not user friendly unfortunately...don't give up quite yet..watch some blu ray dolby atmos movies to at least enjoy the A16

Jun 2, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #14,952 of 16,047
I have never used the USB input...perhaps that is where it is wonky. I have always fed it from my blu ray player for movies and concerts...it is truly phenomenal for dolby atmos movies via hdmi at least.....it is not user friendly unfortunately...don't give up quite yet..watch some blu ray dolby atmos movies to at least enjoy the A16
I really only wanted to use this for surround sound music. I guess I'll try to see if I can use an HDMI cable out of my motherboard, as my hdmi output on my graphics card is being used for a monitor.

Jun 2, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #14,953 of 16,047
Have you tried pressing the test button on the remote control and then isolating/soloing the subwoofer to check for balance?

Jun 2, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #14,954 of 16,047
Have you tried pressing the test button on the remote control and then isolating/soloing the subwoofer to check for balance?
Yup. The imbalance is very pronounced with the test button. Also basically every time I click the test button I have to reinstall the windows usb driver

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #14,955 of 16,047
Yup. The imbalance is very pronounced with the test button. Also basically every time I click the test button I have to reinstall the windows usb driver

I think you have too many variables at work... computer problems + A16 problems. If you can simplify, it might be easier to get to the bottom of the issue. Perhaps try testing your A16 with a disc player or streamer and when you are happy with that, try the computer again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back