Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 22, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #14,716 of 15,989
The VRROOM is good but you do have to config it a little. It has the best EDID configurability but I find that it doesn't always do exactly what I want. To avoid issues, you would want to power on both the monitor and the A16, and then use vrroom's automix to get video parameters from the monitor and audio parameters from the audio output. That will work but it may not be perfect long term depending on the order you power up your devices. So when you have everything as you want, you would want to save the active EDID (which will save it to a slot) and then configure that slot as a fixed EDID (i.e. stop using automix). That will avoid any future issues.

You can also of course make your own EDID which is what I have done.

Do you also have experience with the AVPro Edge AC-SC-1X? I wonder if that would be a more set it and forget it type solution with the EDID blend feature.

Mar 22, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #14,717 of 15,989
Do you also have experience with the AVPro Edge AC-SC-1X? I wonder if that would be a more set it and forget it type solution with the EDID blend feature.
I have the AC-MX-42X and while it is reliable I ended up creating a custom EDID for it because the built in options are limited. Haven't used the AC-SC-1X myself but AV Pro Edge gear is rock solid, more so than the VRROOM. The VRROOM is packed full of features but it is not always reliable.

I am not familiar with the EDID blend feature but it sounds similar to what I described with the VRROOM. Note that the AC-MX-42X I have is missing the "audio freerun" feature which means that VRR content doesn't work on the downscale port. On the SC-1X the way it works it that while the chip is not capable of downscaling VRR, you simply enable the signal generator on the downscale port and it combines the original audio with a generated test pattern which the A16 will have no trouble with.

If you do end up deciding on the SC-1X, you might want to look at hdtvsupply. If you create an account and log in, they tend to have AVPro edge gear around 25% off. I'm not aware of a better place to buy. Bought my unit from them too.

Mar 22, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #14,718 of 15,989
I have the AC-MX-42X and while it is reliable I ended up creating a custom EDID for it because the built in options are limited. Haven't used the AC-SC-1X myself but AV Pro Edge gear is rock solid, more so than the VRROOM. The VRROOM is packed full of features but it is not always reliable.

I am not familiar with the EDID blend feature but it sounds similar to what I described with the VRROOM. Note that the AC-MX-42X I have is missing the "audio freerun" feature which means that VRR content doesn't work on the downscale port. On the SC-1X the way it works it that while the chip is not capable of downscaling VRR, you simply enable the signal generator on the downscale port and it combines the original audio with a generated test pattern which the A16 will have no trouble with.

If you do end up deciding on the SC-1X, you might want to look at hdtvsupply. If you create an account and log in, they tend to have AVPro edge gear around 25% off. I'm not aware of a better place to buy. Bought my unit from them too.
Seems like most of these devices are limited to 120hz. I was hoping for 240hz since HDMI 2.0 should be capable at 1080p but I guess not on these devices according to the specs.

Mar 22, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #14,719 of 15,989
Seems like most of these devices are limited to 120hz. I was hoping for 240hz since HDMI 2.0 should be capable at 1080p but I guess not on these devices according to the specs.
No personal experience but as long as your monitor supports that and the total bandwidth is max 40Gbps, the scaler should do it. You could ask them. You should get a response same or next day. Not clear if the A16 is capable of accepting 240hz, but the audio freerun feature should still work I believe. To be sure, just ask them.

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #14,720 of 15,989
EDIT: Disregard.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #14,721 of 15,989
Yea, this will only solve watching movies. We have been promised a 3ms low latency gaming mode, that would be very important or i will keep my A8 hooked up to the PC for playing games.
Also a must have for most wireless HP and other cases.

Smyth A16 KS.jpg

Screenshot from Kickstarter page

Sorry for bumping an old post but did they ever get around to working on giving us modes besides the default movie mode?

That low latency game mode would be sweet...

Mar 31, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #14,722 of 15,989
This will be way offtopic but maybe the combined knowledge here can help:
I have a very old laptop still running Win XP (don't ask) and a cheap external USB soundcard.
I want to input sound via Line In, run it through a DSP, and output this then to Line/HP out. preferredly with low latency.
Is there any freeware I can use on XP for this?

For the background I have to tell a lot more:
I have a Sony WH1000 XM4 NC headphone to block some noise of my neighbours...
I want to watch TV with them. The TV has a HP out, the Sony has a 3.5 mm HP in, that is how I use it. I don't want to use BT and some app etc. This just makes things more complicated...
But I want at least try to get a out-of-my-head experience (because as I said earlier here, with every HP I ever tried, sound is always in my head!)
So my idea is (and I don't know if it really works, so testing with what I have would the first and easy step):
I treat the TV sound as mono (because this particular TV is just 40" and 2.5 m away. Of course I have also my home cinema with 2.7 m wide screen, but this is where I use the A16, not for casual tv viewing)
I plug the Sony HP into the A16 and create an HPEQ. I play pink noise via the center channel of my PRIR using the Sony HPEQ and record the frequency response with an RTA (that also runs on my old XP laptop).
The center is quasi mono, so the frequency response on both ears should be the same (in theory, I know that in practice it is not, but I may just average this)
For the HTRF of a mono source in the median plane, frequency response, run time and crosstalk should be the same for both ears. So I could hopefully neglect runtime of the source to the ears, and the crosstalk should be identical, so I hope that just EQing to the FR of the measured PRIR+HPEQ will do and deliver me a (at least somewhat) out of my head experience.
Before starting to implement this on some standalone DSP etc. I want to try it with the old XP Laptop (and since I don't want to buy any additional hardware I may just go with the old laptop solution all the time I watch TV).

Can anyone follow my thoughts?

Mar 31, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #14,723 of 15,989
This will be way offtopic but maybe the combined knowledge here can help:
I have a very old laptop still running Win XP (don't ask) and a cheap external USB soundcard.
I want to input sound via Line In, run it through a DSP, and output this then to Line/HP out. preferredly with low latency.
Is there any freeware I can use on XP for this?

For the background I have to tell a lot more:
I have a Sony WH1000 XM4 NC headphone to block some noise of my neighbours...
I want to watch TV with them. The TV has a HP out, the Sony has a 3.5 mm HP in, that is how I use it. I don't want to use BT and some app etc. This just makes things more complicated...
But I want at least try to get a out-of-my-head experience (because as I said earlier here, with every HP I ever tried, sound is always in my head!)
So my idea is (and I don't know if it really works, so testing with what I have would the first and easy step):
I treat the TV sound as mono (because this particular TV is just 40" and 2.5 m away. Of course I have also my home cinema with 2.7 m wide screen, but this is where I use the A16, not for casual tv viewing)
I plug the Sony HP into the A16 and create an HPEQ. I play pink noise via the center channel of my PRIR using the Sony HPEQ and record the frequency response with an RTA (that also runs on my old XP laptop).
The center is quasi mono, so the frequency response on both ears should be the same (in theory, I know that in practice it is not, but I may just average this)
For the HTRF of a mono source in the median plane, frequency response, run time and crosstalk should be the same for both ears. So I could hopefully neglect runtime of the source to the ears, and the crosstalk should be identical, so I hope that just EQing to the FR of the measured PRIR+HPEQ will do and deliver me a (at least somewhat) out of my head experience.
Before starting to implement this on some standalone DSP etc. I want to try it with the old XP Laptop (and since I don't want to buy any additional hardware I may just go with the old laptop solution all the time I watch TV).

Can anyone follow my thoughts?
The well named VSThost was here 3000 years ago and should work fine. The downside is that it has enough settings to ruin something that was working fine.

Maybe you can first try Pedalboard2 VST which might be old enough to work, and is overall more intuitive. You set input, output, you import some VSTs you want with "plugin list", then double click to pick in the list of imported VSTs, pull a channel and drag it (literally) toward the VST input channel you have imported then drag the output of that VST toward the audio output. You make your little circuits in a WYSIWYG kind of way. You do need to get the 32bit version of pedalboard and 32bit VSTs (don't even think of using VST3 versions). And you also must match input and output sample rates. (I've explained a lot for something that might not work on XP).

Some DAWs should do live processing too, but I don't think Audacity can, and it's pretty much all I used back in the days that's free, Someone more knowledgeable might come save both of us on this one???(I'm trying to stick with free stuff).

Sadly the go-to solution for EQ and convolution, Equalizer APO, doesn't work on XP if memory serves, I think there was no such thing as APO on XP (Y U make me feel old like that????).

When it comes to pure routing, https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm, or any of his virtual cable offerings if that works on XP, probably does, I'm almost completely sure that it probably does... You shouldn't need that if you go from recognized hardware input to hardware output, but you might at some point want to route some audio or video player toward an output, or some input toward a particular recording/processing software (let's say to try and capture Impulses). If so, VB-audio stuff if they work on XP probably hold the key to doing it.

Apr 1, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #14,724 of 15,989
@audiohobbit : You want to recreate the "Realiser sound" (only center Channel) with your old Laptop to watch TV, in a situation where the Realiser is not available?
"Copying" a Realiser Prir with recording should be no big problem but I think it will be difficult to synchronize the TV and the sound output from the Laptop. The processing way over the Laptop will introduce an audible delay.

Apr 1, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #14,725 of 15,989
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting their Realiser to communicate with a USB streamer?

I have a Holo Red and am hoping to use USB for multichannel.

The Red is able to see the Realiser's Ploytech USB interface, but Roon doesn't see it.

Any ideas?

Apr 1, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #14,726 of 15,989
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting their Realiser to communicate with a USB streamer?

I have a Holo Red and am hoping to use USB for multichannel.

The Red is able to see the Realiser's Ploytech USB interface, but Roon doesn't see it.

Any ideas?
What do you mean by "see"? I haven't really tried to get my Realiser to run with USB+Linux while I had it, so I have no Idea if that's even supposed to work. Have you searched this thread for hints about Linux, or possibly specific issues with Raspberry Pies as used in the Holo Red?

Apr 1, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #14,727 of 15,989
What do you mean by "see"? I haven't really tried to get my Realiser to run with USB+Linux while I had it, so I have no Idea if that's even supposed to work. Have you searched this thread for hints about Linux, or possibly specific issues with Raspberry Pies as used in the Holo Red
By "see", I mean that I cannot get the A16 to appear with the other audio devices in Roon settings. The Red is a "USB redirector". The Red knows when it's connected to the A16 and I can tell it to "redirect" to it. With my other DAC, it would appear in Roon as a USB device. But the A16 does not.

Apr 2, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #14,728 of 15,989
By "see", I mean that I cannot get the A16 to appear with the other audio devices in Roon settings. The Red is a "USB redirector". The Red knows when it's connected to the A16 and I can tell it to "redirect" to it. With my other DAC, it would appear in Roon as a USB device. But the A16 does not.
An USB device is not necessarily a DAC. Can you ssh into the Red and lsusb, cat /proc/modules and dmesg?

Apr 2, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #14,730 of 15,989
An USB device is not necessarily a DAC. Can you ssh into the Red and lsusb, cat /proc/modules and dmesg?
I could never SSH into the Red, but I plugged my A16 into my other Linux box. This is what lsusb says:
(Notably, the device class is listed as "255 Vendor Specific Class").

-- Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0a4a:5a16 Ploytec GmbH REALISER-A16
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bDeviceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bDeviceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x0a4a Ploytec GmbH
idProduct 0x5a16