Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 29, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #14,521 of 15,989
With respect to the scarcity of Auro 3D music content, I dare to contradict your statement. There’re sites such as pureaudiorecordings.com, 2l.no and spiritofturtle.com (to name a few) that sell Blu-ray audio discs with Auro-3D. Moreover, the last two sell Auro 3D FLAC files. For both Blu-ray audio discs and Auro 3D FLAC files, Realiser A16 is an appropriate device that render the space of sound very convincing and pleasant.
I have many Pure Audio Discs... Several with Auro and Atmos versions of the same content. I don't really hear a difference between Atmos and Auro... Do you?

Jan 29, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #14,523 of 15,989
With respect to the scarcity of Auro 3D music content, I dare to contradict your statement. There’re sites such as pureaudiorecordings.com, 2l.no and spiritofturtle.com (to name a few) that sell Blu-ray audio discs with Auro-3D. Moreover, the last two sell Auro 3D FLAC files. For both Blu-ray audio discs and Auro 3D FLAC files, Realiser A16 is an appropriate device that render the space of sound very convincing and pleasant.
I was speaking in relative terms. Consider the number of movies available in Dolby Atmos vs the number of movies available in Auro 3D. Then consider the number of music recordings available for streaming in Dolby Atmos(are there any recordings available for streaming in Auro 3D at this time? I at least don’t know of any). And then consider the number of “mainstream” music releases in Dolby Atmos vs Auro 3D. To be sure, I own a small handful of excellent music Blu Rays in Auro 3D but they skew towards classical music and artists with less marketplace popularity(obviously, not a determinant of quality).

While I am thrilled to see an increase of Auro 3D material in the marketplace, I have to totally honest in stating that I at least still primarily turn to Auro 3 D for upmixing.

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #14,524 of 15,989
Ever since i upgraded from 2.05 to 2.12 in December (i did a factory reset) I always have to toggle the Audio Source (e.g. hdmi1 to 2 and back) before I get picture from my shield tv on my LG oled. This was never a problem, it just always worked. I used standby bypass back then and am using it now, and that works fine, but as soon as the A16 turns on and finishes booting, no signal on the TV.

Anyone noticed the same? Getting a bit annoyed with this toggling

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #14,525 of 15,989
I have many Pure Audio Discs... Several with Auro and Atmos versions of the same content. I don't really hear a difference between Atmos and Auro... Do you?
I also have several Pure Audio Discs with Auro and Atmos versions of the same content. My latest purchase is TUVAYHUN — Beatitudes for a Wounded World. As you can see in the attached photos, there are 7.1.4 Auro-3D 96 kHz and 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos 48 kHz versions. As compared to a previous purchase, Alessandro Quarta Plays Astor Piazzolla, the Dolby Atmos version doesn’t highlight a certain speaker arrangement. I think that’s because Dolby Atmos works with object sounds.

Yesterday, I wrote that I could hear the same immersive sounds in both cases. I’m a bit reluctant to generalize as almost a month ago my Realiser A16 unit was transformed into Realiser Speaker Edition. Since then, I’ve been lazy and haven’t restored my previous listening rooms for headphones. In other words, I’m listening to Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D immersive music through two speakers. If you look at the attached pictures 04 and 05, you’ll notice that for Dolby Atmos there’re 4 active virtual height speakers, whereas for Auro-3D there’re 6 active virtual height speakers, which isn’t quite correct. The explanations might be the way Realiser A16 Speaker Edition was set up by Gilles Gerin. Actually, he selected loading only Atmos.

Attachments

• 01.2L.jpg
    01.2L.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 02.2L.jpg
    02.2L.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 0
  • 03.TV.2L.jpg
    03.TV.2L.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 04.A16.Dolby.Atmos.jpg
    04.A16.Dolby.Atmos.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 05.A16.Auro-3D.jpg
    05.A16.Auro-3D.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Quarta.jpg
    Quarta.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
Jan 30, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #14,526 of 15,989
I was speaking in relative terms. Consider the number of movies available in Dolby Atmos vs the number of movies available in Auro 3D. Then consider the number of music recordings available for streaming in Dolby Atmos(are there any recordings available for streaming in Auro 3D at this time? I at least don’t know of any). And then consider the number of “mainstream” music releases in Dolby Atmos vs Auro 3D. To be sure, I own a small handful of excellent music Blu Rays in Auro 3D but they skew towards classical music and artists with less marketplace popularity(obviously, not a determinant of quality).

While I am thrilled to see an increase of Auro 3D material in the marketplace, I have to totally honest in stating that I at least still primarily turn to Auro 3 D for upmixing.
I’m aware that those pure audio discs and streaming are just a niche compared to the mainstream.

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #14,527 of 15,989
I’m aware that those pure audio discs and streaming are just a niche compared to the mainstream.
I don’t mean to sound contentious as we’re both enjoying music in the same niche (and are on the same team) so I’ll move on from this topic after this post. Yes, streaming is a niche but so many of the artists getting the streaming Atmos mixes are as mainstream as they come. Aretha Franklin, for example.

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #14,528 of 15,989
I also have several Pure Audio Discs with Auro and Atmos versions of the same content. My latest purchase is TUVAYHUN — Beatitudes for a Wounded World. As you can see in the attached photos, there are 7.1.4 Auro-3D 96 kHz and 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos 48 kHz versions. As compared to a previous purchase, Alessandro Quarta Plays Astor Piazzolla, the Dolby Atmos version doesn’t highlight a certain speaker arrangement. I think that’s because Dolby Atmos works with object sounds.

Yesterday, I wrote that I could hear the same immersive sounds in both cases. I’m a bit reluctant to generalize as almost a month ago my Realiser A16 unit was transformed into Realiser Speaker Edition. Since then, I’ve been lazy and haven’t restored my previous listening rooms for headphones. In other words, I’m listening to Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D immersive music through two speakers. If you look at the attached pictures 04 and 05, you’ll notice that for Dolby Atmos there’re 4 active virtual height speakers, whereas for Auro-3D there’re 6 active virtual height speakers, which isn’t quite correct. The explanations might be the way Realiser A16 Speaker Edition was set up by Gilles Gerin. Actually, he selected loading only Atmos.
I’m thrilled for you and also quite jealous. I hope that a full review is to follow as you’re the first person I know of to publicly post about having an A16SE in your home. Also, although the Auro 3D implementation isn’t perfect, I’d still be interested to get your impressions of Auromatic upmixing in your system. TIA.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #14,529 of 15,989
I don’t mean to sound contentious as we’re both enjoying music in the same niche (and are on the same team) so I’ll move on from this topic after this post. Yes, streaming is a niche but so many of the artists getting the streaming Atmos mixes are as mainstream as they come. Aretha Franklin, for example.
As English is not my mother tongue, sometimes the message I want to convey comes out wrong. When I wrote that pure audio discs and streaming are just a niche compared to the mainstream, I wanted to highlight that a large majority of music lovers are oriented towards CDs or stereo recording streaming (mainstream) as opposed to multichannel music recordings (SACDs, DVD-Audio, Blu-ray Audio) and immersive music streaming.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #14,530 of 15,989

Hi GeorgeA, very interesting post!, i have some questions: when you say transformed, was a firmware upgrade? what's speakers did you use (brand) full range? and finally, the realiserSE sound the same with and without the headphones?, reagards

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #14,531 of 15,989
As English is not my mother tongue, sometimes the message I want to convey comes out wrong. When I wrote that pure audio discs and streaming are just a niche compared to the mainstream, I wanted to highlight that a large majority of music lovers are oriented towards CDs or stereo recording streaming (mainstream) as opposed to multichannel music recordings (SACDs, DVD-Audio, Blu-ray Audio) and immersive music streaming.
That is true!, the many flavours makes difficult label some technology, about the realiser cannot be labeled as only for movies, or music or for headphone lovers or audiophiles, i think it's about sound and technology, now that i receive mine i have spend some time thinking how the sound its processed by our brains at the end i enjoy as many flavours as i can, the impulse the spatial audio o multichannel from apple tidal and others makes me know it's the right time for this technology.
Squeeze the most from the realiser it's what i want to learn by now, maybe a long road but i'm excited about.

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #14,532 of 15,989
Jan 31, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #14,533 of 15,989
Hi!, about creating my first own PRIR, my doubts are:

• What if i have the amplifiers far away, there is a way to extent even more the mics? or is better to bought long RCA to 3.5 cables (8 of them for a 16 ch), i'm guessing how the people say it can be made a PRIR from a large theatres or cinemas when the control room is so far from the subject.

• How do i know what plug is what channel of the RCA to 3.5 cables, red and white are 1,2 which are left and right? but my guess is for 3,4 center (white) and sw (red).

• my other point is if until now it's not possible to send signals over HDMI, i use dirac live in my AV processor so i wish to port the filters that correct many of my acoustic problems of my room to the signals for measure my PRIR.
Thank you for your patience with a newbie :)

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #14,534 of 15,989
Hi!, about creating my first own PRIR, my doubts are:

What you really want is an asynchronous PRIR as described in chapter 14 of the user manual ( https://smyth-research.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/A16_v2.0_user_manual_20_Oct_2021.pdf ). It was planned that a DVD would be available that would play the PRIR signals though your AV system.

As far as I know the only source for the asynchronous signals is Club Realiser from the French distributor - https://av-in.com/products/acces-1-an-au-club-realiser at the cost of 100 EUR .

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #14,535 of 15,989
What you really want is an asynchronous PRIR as described in chapter 14 of the user manual ( https://smyth-research.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/A16_v2.0_user_manual_20_Oct_2021.pdf ). It was planned that a DVD would be available that would play the PRIR signals though your AV system.

As far as I know the only source for the asynchronous signals is Club Realiser from the French distributor - https://av-in.com/products/acces-1-an-au-club-realiser at the cost of 100 EUR .
Thank you Camano, this will help a lot! and take advantage of the dirac live corrections, seems to be cheaper than 8 RCA cables :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back