Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 31, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #14,536 of 16,011
Hi!, about creating my first own PRIR, my doubts are:

• What if i have the amplifiers far away, there is a way to extent even more the mics? or is better to bought long RCA to 3.5 cables (8 of them for a 16 ch), i'm guessing how the people say it can be made a PRIR from a large theatres or cinemas when the control room is so far from the subject.

• How do i know what plug is what channel of the RCA to 3.5 cables, red and white are 1,2 which are left and right? but my guess is for 3,4 center (white) and sw (red).

• my other point is if until now it's not possible to send signals over HDMI, i use dirac live in my AV processor so i wish to port the filters that correct many of my acoustic problems of my room to the signals for measure my PRIR.
Thank you for your patience with a newbie :)
You can do an asynchronous PRIR by ordering the files from Giles. That might be best.

But for your first attempt you might want to try the synchronous version which is the easiest method IMHO. There is a video Smyth makes, and all you would need are as many RCA cables as channels to connect the A16's outs to your processor's analog inputs. Amazon sells really cheap cable which I've used for my in home PRIRs. Here is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K6SSSRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #14,537 of 16,011
You can do an asynchronous PRIR by ordering the files from Giles. That might be best.

But for your first attempt you might want to try the synchronous version which is the easiest method IMHO. There is a video Smyth makes, and all you would need are as many RCA cables as channels to connect the A16's outs to your processor's analog inputs. Amazon sells really cheap cable which I've used for my in home PRIRs. Here is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K6SSSRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Thank you phoenixdogfan, you point me to rca male to male cable but my realiser is like a 3.5 plug and my amps are rca, in fact I’m guessing about the 3and 4 channel (center and sw) and which color are respectively

Jan 31, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #14,538 of 16,011
Thank you phoenixdogfan, you point me to rca male to male cable but my realiser is like a 3.5 plug and my amps are rca, in fact I’m guessing about the 3and 4 channel (center and sw) and which color are respectively
Those work in my Realiser. A16 uses RCA plugs for output. I used those very cables to make my PRIRs, unless Smyth changed something (which I very much doubt) that xable should work for you.

Jan 31, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #14,539 of 16,011
How do i know what plug is what channel of the RCA to 3.5 cables, red and white are 1,2 which are left and right? but my guess is for 3,4 center (white) and sw (red).
Maybe you don't need to know anymore, but just in case:
Settings->PRIR Sound Rooms->PRIR room 1 or 2
determines what output number is used for what channel.
(And using a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2x RCA cable: the white RCA will be the odd number, the red the even number.)

Before doing a PRIR measurement you can set in the PRIR measurement settings which of the 2 PRIR sound rooms will be used.

Those work in my Realiser. A16 uses RCA plugs for output. I used those very cables to make my PRIRs, unless Smyth changed something (which I very much doubt) that xable should work for you.
Your A16 has RCA outputs for the 16 analog outputs? Aren't you confusing these outputs with the HP A and B RCA outputs (that you can use for measuring a HPEQ)?

Jan 31, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #14,540 of 16,011
Hi!, about creating my first own PRIR, my doubts are:

• What if i have the amplifiers far away, there is a way to extent even more the mics? or is better to bought long RCA to 3.5 cables (8 of them for a 16 ch), i'm guessing how the people say it can be made a PRIR from a large theatres or cinemas when the control room is so far from the subject.

• How do i know what plug is what channel of the RCA to 3.5 cables, red and white are 1,2 which are left and right? but my guess is for 3,4 center (white) and sw (red).

• my other point is if until now it's not possible to send signals over HDMI, i use dirac live in my AV processor so i wish to port the filters that correct many of my acoustic problems of my room to the signals for measure my PRIR.
Thank you for your patience with a newbie :)
What is your speaker configuration? Is your system bass managed? (More when you respond)

I second @Camano suggestion... If you can swing the cost of the asynchronous files... It will stream line the process considerably.

I've done hundreds of measurements... 99% via the synchronous method. And while there is no difference in the results... If I could... I would have preferred to use the asynchronous method. It's just so much faster... and less likely for the Realiser to generate an error which will have you starting all over again. Red screens, White screens, and Error 003 are real things.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #14,541 of 16,011
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #14,542 of 16,011
(And using a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2x RCA cable: the white RCA will be the odd number, the red the even number.)

Before doing a PRIR measurement you can set in the PRIR measurement settings which of the 2 PRIR sound rooms will be used.

Your A16 has RCA outputs for the 16 analog outputs? Aren't you confusing these outputs with the HP A and B RCA outputs (that you can use for measuring a HPEQ)?
Yeah you are right. I used one of these for every two rca cables to ties it all together.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079L48B5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Feb 1, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #14,543 of 16,011
What you really want is an asynchronous PRIR as described in chapter 14 of the user manual ( https://smyth-research.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/A16_v2.0_user_manual_20_Oct_2021.pdf ). It was planned that a DVD would be available that would play the PRIR signals though your AV system.

As far as I know the only source for the asynchronous signals is Club Realiser from the French distributor - https://av-in.com/products/acces-1-an-au-club-realiser at the cost of 100 EUR .
The alternative, of course is to invite someone over who already has the async files, to also record PRIRs of the given venue. People might be willing to travel and share the cost for renting the venue...

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #14,544 of 16,011

Hi Sander 99, my realiser has 8 analog inputs and 8 analog outputs, i got 8 cables with male 3.5 to 2 male rca, i will do asynch , thank you!

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #14,545 of 16,011
The alternative, of course is to invite someone over who already has the async files, to also record PRIRs of the given venue. People might be willing to travel and share the cost for renting the venue...
eventually i wish to go in that direction, by now my curve is: listen the default rooms - make my own synch measurement of my room, then measure other friends rooms and then go to a professional rooms for measure them, the asynch method seems will be the last thing i'll do i suppose need more understanding of the soundwaves and how to synch with the realiser, thank you

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #14,546 of 16,011
What is your speaker configuration? Is your system bass managed? (More when you respond)

I second @Camano suggestion... If you can swing the cost of the asynchronous files... It will stream line the process considerably.

I've done hundreds of measurements... 99% via the synchronous method. And while there is no difference in the results... If I could... I would have preferred to use the asynchronous method. It's just so much faster... and less likely for the Realiser to generate an error which will have you starting all over again. Red screens, White screens, and Error 003 are real things.
Litlgi74,
i have a 7.2.6 speaker configuration, i will use the cables you post from amazon indeed, i wish to do the same experience with the headphones when smyth demoed, you take of and then the speakers sounds.

about the bass management yes, indeed even when my speakers are "Large" then don't go lower than 40hz so i prefer to set all as small and cut the xover at 80hz or 90hz, in fact i don't understand very well how to measure the subwoofers, i read they are 10db higher than other speakers due the frequency but i also read that someone prefer measure the room with them on, i'm lost in this area, your comments are welcome.

about the errors this will help a lot! when someone reads the process always point to the happy path, but learn about problems helps a lot when you find them.

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #14,547 of 16,011
i wish to do the same experience with the headphones when smyth demoed, you take of and then the speakers sounds.
It's a fun novelty... But you will soon forget about it once you dial in your PRIR. 🤪

i have a 7.2.6 speaker configuration, i will use the cables you post from amazon indeed
Ok cool... If you use the async method... You can have your whole system measured in one pass... Under 15 minutes... You would use the 9.1.6 async file. Easy Peasy.

Using the synchronous method... You will have to measure via analog outs which may which may not work with Dirac room corrected setup. The great thing about the asynchronous method is... It will work perfectly with your setup as is. Just sit in the chair and follow the prompts... Done.

about the bass management yes, indeed even when my speakers are "Large" then don't go lower than 40hz so i prefer to set all as small and cut the xover at 80hz or 90hz, in fact i don't understand very well how to measure the subwoofers, i read they are 10db higher than other speakers due the frequency but i also read that someone prefer measure the room with them on,
Great... you want to measure the SW while it is bass managed. Doing otherwise will produce unwanted results. The sometimes tricky part is making sure that your speakers cutoff at a separate frequency (Small 80Hz) vs where the LFE starts (120Hz).

Also... In my experience... Regardless of measurement method... If you can, I would turn off the +10db for the LFE before you start. If there is even the slightest clip in the LFE... You will not be pleased... It is very difficult to correct in post... And you will more than likely need to start over.

Recording the LFE at 0 will allow you the option to turn on the LFE +10db in the configuration of your listening room if the Realiser. BTW... I think there is more than enough virtual LFE WITHOUT adding +10db via the Realiser. But headphones play a major part in this as well.

It's not often... But errors do happen... Usually when you are near the end... You will need to restart the A16... Forcing you to start over. 😡

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #14,548 of 16,011
Hi Sander 99, my realiser has 8 analog inputs and 8 analog outputs, i got 8 cables with male 3.5 to 2 male rca, i will do asynch , thank you!
This would be the synchronous measurement process...

Playing a .mp4 file back from a Blu-ray player would be the asynchronous method. No analog outputs cables are necessary...

The bridge between the Blu-ray player/Speakers/Audio equipment and the Realiser is/are the microphones.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #14,549 of 16,011
8 stereo outputs so 16 channels...

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #14,550 of 16,011
This would be the synchronous measurement process...

Playing a .mp4 file back from a Blu-ray player would be the asynchronous method. No analog outputs cables are necessary...

The bridge between the Blu-ray player/Speakers/Audio equipment and the Realiser is/are the microphones.
My mistake, i mean Synchronous, i will start with this method as like you said easier, like Sander said 8 stereo outputs then 16 channels, indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back