Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 2, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #14,551 of 16,011
My mistake, i mean Synchronous, i will start with this method as like you said easier, like Sander said 8 stereo outputs then 16 channels, indeed.
What type of processor do you have that can handle 7.2.6 analog inputs?

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #14,552 of 16,011
This would be the synchronous measurement process...

Playing a .mp4 file back from a Blu-ray player would be the asynchronous method. No analog outputs cables are necessary...

The bridge between the Blu-ray player/Speakers/Audio equipment and the Realiser is/are the microphones.
couple questions: do you use an amp because the planar headphones?? the tactile transducter you use is for the chair and you plug it to the tactile output of the rca HP outputs? one of my doubts are, since the realiser copy exact tonal signature of the speakers, how and external amp could affect the audio? it adds the colour like solid amp or valves?

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #14,554 of 16,011
i will output all 7.2.6 channels from the realiser to my amplifiers, i will override the processor by now, in this Synch method i will capture the speakers as is, losing the dirac filters of the emotiva rmc1l processor due the need of use the asynch method
I think there's some confusion... The method you are going to do is the synchronous method.. When you connect the analog outputs to your amplifiers... This process is somewhat automated... But like The asynchronous method... it's relying on all of your crossovers, bass management, and room correction settings to be in place and functioning.

The asynchronous method has no connection to the Realiser whatsoever... The microphones record what the Blu-ray player plays back through your system... . Capturing all of your Dirac live and room correction settings.

Maybe I'm missing part of the picture... but IMO... Without the bass management of Dirac enabled... You're a kind of guessing in the dark... And I don't think you'll be satisfied with the PRIR you create.

PS. The subwoofer is nearly impossible to capture correctly without bass management turned on.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #14,555 of 16,011
questions: do you use an amp because the planar headphones??
Yes.. But it is dual purpose. The speaker amp gives me the ability to drive both my Abyss 1266 TCs as well as the RAAL SR1a headphones... Which require a speaker amplifier. But honestly, and @Sanctuary is going to love hearing this... The HD800S gets the most use with my Realiser. With proper tweaking... It's hard to beat the sounds stage and comfort it provides for enjoying films.

the tactile transducter you use is for the chair and you plug it to the tactile output of the rca HP outputs?
My transducer is bolted to my bed frame.. But it can be secured to most things... Chairs, sofas, and floors. The amplifier that powers the transducer gets connected directly to the tactile outputs of the Realiser.

since the realiser copy exact tonal signature of the speakers, how and external amp could affect the audio? it adds the colour like solid amp or valves?
Unfortunately... This is not all together true. The microphones included with the Realiser are somewhat limiting. Compromises in the recorded sound are made during the PRIR process. While trying to match the recorded sound of the PRIR to the actual room sound... I found that the Smyth's have added artificial bass boost and treble adjustments to compensate for what the microphones cannot do. The Smyths have confirmed this.

There are some tweaks you can do afterwards with manLOUD and manSPEAKER As well as APM controls to try to get closer to the actual sound of your speakers and room.. But that too has limits.

Don't take any of this as a negative.. The Realiser is incredible at what it does... and you will get darn close to capturing your listening room as it is... But perfection is hard to achieve.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #14,556 of 16,011
Yes.. But it is dual purpose. The speaker amp gives me the ability to drive both my Abyss 1266 TCs as well as the RAAL SR1a headphones... Which require a speaker amplifier. But honestly, and @Sanctuary is going to love hearing this... The HD800S gets the most use with my Realiser. With proper tweaking... It's hard to beat the sounds stage and comfort it provides for enjoying films.

My transducer is bolted to my bed frame.. But it can be secured to most things... Chairs, sofas, and floors. The amplifier that powers the transducer gets connected directly to the tactile outputs of the Realiser.

Unfortunately... This is not all together true. The microphones included with the Realiser are somewhat limiting. Compromises in the recorded sound are made during the PRIR process. While trying to match the recorded sound of the PRIR to the actual room sound... I found that the Smyth's have added artificial bass boost and treble adjustments to compensate for what the microphones cannot do. The Smyths have confirmed this.

There are some tweaks you can do afterwards with manLOUD and manSPEAKER As well as APM controls to try to get closer to the actual sound of your speakers and room.. But that too has limits.

Don't take any of this as a negative.. The Realiser is incredible at what it does... and you will get darn close to capturing your listening room as it is... But perfection is hard to achieve.
i'm really pleased with the audio quality, i have already tried a violectrec and sennheiser amps but they bothered me a lot the ears, the woo audio seems to be more pleasant, but i find the realiser amp more than capable for drive the HD800.
i took the realiser to my office, but left the remote control, and all this week i only can turn on and off and listen only the BBC Room without changing it or the presets.
I really appreciate and take note of your findings, by now more than 900 pages plus the manual and the videos are very overwhelming, but the most time i read the most familiar looks everything, i only need to put on practice, one of my lifesavers seems to be the factory reset in case i messed up something, i take note about the subwoofers, i will put all speakers as small when measure it

Feb 3, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #14,557 of 16,011
Multi channel surround sound sources aside... anyone ever just sit there and jam out to some simple 2.1 music in the surround room?

Cheap $25 KSC75 ear clip headphones have no business sounding this good... 🤣

It's really nice sitting here at midnight and blasting some music and feeling like you are actually listening to a speaker system on full blast but without bothering a soul.

Feb 3, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #14,561 of 16,011
What are the symptoms they are reporting?
The headphone out of user A has stopped working on both units... One owner said he smells electrical burn. Gilles has been cotacted and at least one unit is being sent back to the Smyths for repair under warranty.

Feb 3, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #14,562 of 16,011
What are the symptoms they are reporting?
The first one: ....my A16 is broken, I no longer have any sound in the Jack A output, just a greasy sound in the headphones. Everything works in B. I did a reset but it's still the same.
Then the other one: I just had the same problem as Jérôme and unfortunately I smelled an additional burnt smell .

Feb 3, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #14,564 of 16,011
The first one: ....my A16 is broken, I no longer have any sound in the Jack A output, just a greasy sound in the headphones. Everything works in B. I did a reset but it's still the same.
Then the other one: I just had the same problem as Jérôme and unfortunately I smelled an additional burnt smell .
George how old is your realiser ?

Feb 3, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #14,565 of 16,011
George how old is your realiser ?
Just for clarity: I think @GeorgeA was quoting someone else, he is not talking about his own realiser.
On the French forum there’re two reports of Realiser A16 units that seem to have broken down all of a sudden. I hope that an epidemic of Realiser A16 flu hasn't already started.
I would like to know which firmware they use, and which hardware version they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back