Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 3, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #14,102 of 15,989
I'm trying to make a multi-speaker (9.1.6) PRIR following the video on Youtube channel () and it's not working. Only the most recent speaker measurement is retained. e.g. If I measure Left and Right alone it'll take and I can integrate those channels into a Room. If I measure Left/Right then try to measure Center/Sub...only Center/Sub have audio when playing back Test Audio. I'm not leaving the PRIR menu when doing the Disable speaker/record shuffle, so I'm not sure why only the most recent measurements stay. I'm on firmware 2.12. Any community guidance?

There’s useful information in this thread. For example, please read the following posts: Post #7,532; Post #7,559 and Post #7,567.

Oct 3, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #14,103 of 15,989
I'm trying to make a multi-speaker (9.1.6) PRIR following the video on Youtube channel () and it's not working. Only the most recent speaker measurement is retained. e.g. If I measure Left and Right alone it'll take and I can integrate those channels into a Room. If I measure Left/Right then try to measure Center/Sub...only Center/Sub have audio when playing back Test Audio. I'm not leaving the PRIR menu when doing the Disable speaker/record shuffle, so I'm not sure why only the most recent measurements stay. I'm on firmware 2.12. Any community guidance?

First one question:
Are you aware of the following (in the case of measuring 16 speakers in one single PRIR)?
When you are in the following menu:
1664805840410.png

You should only press ENTER the last time, so when you have just finished measuring the last 2 speakers and all the speakers in the display have the white line around them.
So the first 7 times that you are at this point (but without all speakers having the white line around them), you don't press ENTER but BACK instead. That way you go back one step in the menu without saving the (incomplete) PRIR.

(If you press ENTER after every 2 speakers being measured then every time a seperate PRIR is saved with only 2 speakers.)

[Edit: But if I am not mistaken the last 8 2-speaker PRIRs are still in the recycle buffer so you could copy them to the permanent internal storage and then still create a 16 channel listening room using 8 different PRIRs, or use the composite PRIR builder to create one 16 channel PRIR from them.]

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #14,104 of 15,989
First one question:
Are you aware of the following (in the case of measuring 16 speakers in one single PRIR)?
When you are in the following menu:
1664805840410.png

You should only press ENTER the last time, so when you have just finished measuring the last 2 speakers and all the speakers in the display have the white line around them.
So the first 7 times that you are at this point (but without all speakers having the white line around them), you don't press ENTER but BACK instead. That way you go back one step in the menu without saving the (incomplete) PRIR.

(If you press ENTER after every 2 speakers being measured then every time a seperate PRIR is saved with only 2 speakers.)

[Edit: But if I am not mistaken the last 8 2-speaker PRIRs are still in the recycle buffer so you could copy them to the permanent internal storage and then still create a 16 channel listening room using 8 different PRIRs, or use the composite PRIR builder to create one 16 channel PRIR from them.]
Thanks Sander99, you helped me get past my issue. The UI suggested to me that I either had to press "Enter" or "SPK" and it didn't occur to me that I could (should) press Back. I didn't catch the need to press Back from the Youtube video.

Oct 4, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #14,105 of 15,989
Thanks Sander99, you helped me get past my issue. The UI suggested to me that I either had to press "Enter" or "SPK" and it didn't occur to me that I could (should) press Back. I didn't catch the need to press Back from the Youtube video.
Unfortunately it is also not explained in the manual.
Another thing that could be overlooked:
If you want to copy PRIRs and HPEQs to the sd card, the sd card should contain a folder named "realiser" in the root, and subfolders "prirs" and "hpeqs" (uppercase or lowercase doesn't matter).
I advice to make backup copies of your PRIRs and HPEQs.

Oct 4, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #14,106 of 15,989
Question to the community,
It seems to me that a using an average speaker in an untreated room would make just as good of a PRIR as fancy speakers in a treated room. Isn't the purpose of the in-ear mics just to capture the timing adjustments needed for playback of future audio over the headphones?

Oct 4, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #14,107 of 15,989
It seems to me that a using an average speaker in an untreated room would make just as good of a PRIR as fancy speakers in a treated room. Isn't the purpose of the in-ear mics just to capture the timing adjustments needed for playback of future audio over the headphones?
You capture how the speakers sound in that room from the perspective of your ears. The impulses will have those characteristics(you+that room+those speakers).
So, technically you will indeed capture that one room just as well as you could go capture a great one with great speakers and sound treatment. But of course the simulation from the first case with the A16 will sound a lot like that untreated room with those average speakers.

Oct 4, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #14,108 of 15,989
The capture is specific to the room and speakers you are using in the measurement. It is by no means generating a universal correction curve to simply make your headphone sound like speaker. Rather it is generating a specific curve to make your headphones sound like the room/speakers you measured.

Oct 7, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #14,109 of 15,989
New firmware is up. Fixes a bunch of stuff like ability to have Auro option while in 24ch mode and fix for Audio dropouts in Auro modes. Center channel soft adjustment etc.

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #14,110 of 15,989
New firmware is up. Fixes a bunch of stuff like ability to have Auro option while in 24ch mode and fix for Audio dropouts in Auro modes. Center channel soft adjustment etc.

Thanks for the heads up. I just read the release notes and the only mention of Auro is the pending certification. Can you clarify about the Auro features you mention?

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #14,111 of 15,989
Thanks for the heads up. I just read the release notes and the only mention of Auro is the pending certification. Can you clarify about the Auro features you mention?
Have you been following this thread? Auro is unofficially released already, you can purchase it by asking James (you need to have purchased DTS:X as well), but it has at least so far been a little quirky/buggy.

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #14,112 of 15,989
For me this new the Realiser A16 CSV file Programming seems quite complex. I understand that this new tool might be used for easier bringing an A16 back to various configurations after a full factory restore.

I’m also puzzled by the statement within the Release Notes for SVS Firmware (rev. 2.12 Oct 02 2022):

New A16 Features in Development (all hardware variants)
1) Auro3D certification

I thought that Auro3D certification was completed earlier. It should’ve been better that Smyth Research posted a new version of the user manual dealing with Auro3D.

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #14,113 of 15,989
Have you been following this thread?
I already have Auro. I was asking for clarification about the reported increase to 24-channels in firmware 2.12 since it wasn't mentioned in the release notes.
Firmware 2.11 only supported 16 channels.

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #14,114 of 15,989
Auro is not mentioned, mayhaps because the notes are for generic version. My findings are from bugs I faced after the Auro Upgrade. Now fixed. Auro is still 13.1 max, but doesn't get disabled in 24ch mode like previous version, hence not forcing you to listen to Atmos in 9.1.6.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #14,115 of 15,989
For me this new the Realiser A16 CSV file Programming seems quite complex. I understand that this new tool might be used for easier bringing an A16 back to various configurations after a full factory restore.

I’m also puzzled by the statement within the Release Notes for SVS Firmware (rev. 2.12 Oct 02 2022):

New A16 Features in Development (all hardware variants)
1) Auro3D certification

I thought that Auro3D certification was completed earlier. It should’ve been better that Smyth Research posted a new version of the user manual dealing with Auro3D.
Yep, the Auro-3D release was not officially published on the website. Auro got bought over around that time, could be legal considerations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back