Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 2, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #13,846 of 15,989
My "silent preset" problem has gone away after I installed 2.11 with factory reset and reprogrammed.

I did have a new, not seen before problem last night. After being paused for a long time, there was no sound when I resumed. I assumed this was the previous problem I'd been having with pausing but none of the usual fixes worked - changing presets to factory and back, changing inputs, etc. I finally powered off/on and it came up on my preset 5 working and continued to work. Hopefully just a glitch of some kind.

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #13,847 of 15,989
One item that I got wacked by the other day that I wish they would fix somehow.... I switched to the 24 channel mode for a comparison and had forgotten that when you do that the A16 automatically turns off the Aero 3D option .... so it took me awhile to figure out why the aero 3D all of a sudden wouldn't engage when going back to 16 channel mode... a dumb mistake on my part... but a little panic sets in when the A16 does the unexpected sometimes...

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #13,848 of 15,989
One item that I got wacked by the other day that I wish they would fix somehow.... I switched to the 24 channel mode for a comparison and had forgotten that when you do that the A16 automatically turns off the Aero 3D option .... so it took me awhile to figure out why the aero 3D all of a sudden wouldn't engage when going back to 16 channel mode... a dumb mistake on my part... but a little panic sets in when the A16 does the unexpected sometimes...
I think autocorrect conspires against you.:)

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #13,849 of 15,989
Hi everyone especially those who are Kickstarter backers still waiting or preordered backers. I had an update from James Smyth I thought I’ll post it here for everyones benefit:

email starts below this line:

Thanks for getting in touch, It's nice to hear from you.

Despite having taken deposits for Realiser A16 pre-orders in 2017-2018, as of April 2022, we have yet to begin delivering these units and we sincerely apologise for this. While Kickstarter A16s did start leaving our factory in mid-2019, our plan was to finish shipping Kickstarter units before commencing with pre-order units and at the time we expected this to occur sometime late 2020. Unfortunately, even before we had completed the Kickstarter shipments, due to severe semiconductor supply problems brought on firstly by a fire at the AKM manufacturing plant in Japan and secondly by disruption caused by the pandemic, manufacturing of the A16 has been reduced to a trickle and more recently, brought to a complete standstill. Delivery of the MDS APM110, MDS HSR41T, FPGA, ADI DSPs, ARM processor and various AD convertors that we use in the A16 design are on a long lead time, some being quoted by the manufactures as far as 2024. However, as the pandemic subsides, we expect these delivery times to improve.

Since the A16 is our only product, cash flow has been heavily impacted and company overheads have been cut back to the absolute minimum to try and ride out this unprecedented situation. Unfortunately, this has required us to sell the few A16s we have managed to put together to new customers at full price to keep the company from closing its doors.
Our intentions are still to deliver the pre-order A16 as and when the semiconductor supply problems are worked out. Industry analysists have suggested this should be resolved by the end of 2023. Hopefully it will be sooner.

Regards
James
Maybe you should also post the message from James Smyth on the Realiser A16 page at the kickstarter website. There might be backers who don’t read here and the message would be useful for them to know the real situation.

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #13,850 of 15,989
=
Maybe you should also post the message from James Smyth on the Realiser A16 page at the kickstarter website. There might be backers who don’t read here and the message would be useful for them to know the real situation.
Good idea, unfortunately I’m unable to post this update as I’m not a Kickstarter backer. I preordered the A16 in July 2017. Comments are only available to backers.

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #13,851 of 15,989
Hi everyone especially those who are Kickstarter backers still waiting or preordered backers. I had an update from James Smyth I thought I’ll post it here for everyones benefit:

email starts below this line:

Thanks for getting in touch, It's nice to hear from you.

Despite having taken deposits for Realiser A16 pre-orders in 2017-2018, as of April 2022, we have yet to begin delivering these units and we sincerely apologise for this. While Kickstarter A16s did start leaving our factory in mid-2019, our plan was to finish shipping Kickstarter units before commencing with pre-order units and at the time we expected this to occur sometime late 2020. Unfortunately, even before we had completed the Kickstarter shipments, due to severe semiconductor supply problems brought on firstly by a fire at the AKM manufacturing plant in Japan and secondly by disruption caused by the pandemic, manufacturing of the A16 has been reduced to a trickle and more recently, brought to a complete standstill. Delivery of the MDS APM110, MDS HSR41T, FPGA, ADI DSPs, ARM processor and various AD convertors that we use in the A16 design are on a long lead time, some being quoted by the manufactures as far as 2024. However, as the pandemic subsides, we expect these delivery times to improve.

Since the A16 is our only product, cash flow has been heavily impacted and company overheads have been cut back to the absolute minimum to try and ride out this unprecedented situation. Unfortunately, this has required us to sell the few A16s we have managed to put together to new customers at full price to keep the company from closing its doors.
Our intentions are still to deliver the pre-order A16 as and when the semiconductor supply problems are worked out. Industry analysists have suggested this should be resolved by the end of 2023. Hopefully it will be sooner.

Regards
James
As you know, I have a fully hardware upgraded A16, so the following questions do not apply to my situation. Nonetheless, I will ask them here as the answers may be helpful to others on this forum:

(1) Does this mean that (a)Smyth Research is sold out on A16s for now, or (b)do they still have a miniscule supply on hand which they will be offering only to prospective buyers at full price?
(2) Does this say anything about whether or not the sellers in France or India have any stock on hand?
(3) Is the door closed for now for anyone looked to upgrade the hardware on their A16 units? (It's theoretically possible that the hardware upgrades could be in limited supply at Smyth Research, but without enough hardware in total to build complete units.)
(4) Is the Realiser Exchange being actively worked on or is development currently on pause?

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #13,854 of 15,989
As you know, I have a fully hardware upgraded A16, so the following questions do not apply to my situation. Nonetheless, I will ask them here as the answers may be helpful to others on this forum:

(1) Does this mean that (a)Smyth Research is sold out on A16s for now, or (b)do they still have a miniscule supply on hand which they will be offering only to prospective buyers at full price?
(2) Does this say anything about whether or not the sellers in France or India have any stock on hand?
(3) Is the door closed for now for anyone looked to upgrade the hardware on their A16 units? (It's theoretically possible that the hardware upgrades could be in limited supply at Smyth Research, but without enough hardware in total to build complete units.)
(4) Is the Realiser Exchange being actively worked on or is development currently on pause?
For the French distributor, by visiting https://av-in.com/collections/smyth-realiser, one can see Épuisé (out of stock in English) for both Smyth Realiser A16 - format horizontal and Smyth Realiser A16 - format vertical.

With respect to Auro-3D, on June 30th, 2022, at the French forum, there was a post about a message from James Smyth
“5- when will this Auro upgrade be available?
J: we still have to update the manual as there is important information about the Auro setup. This should be added to the manual in the next week.”

That message allowed one to infer that by July 10 at the latest, the updated manual would be available for download. Today is August 3rd, 2022, and there’s no official notification on the availability of Auro-3d and no updated manual is posted at https://smyth-research.com/downloads/.

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #13,855 of 15,989
A dear friend shared this album with me...

https://pureaudiorecordings.com/en/product/hazar-reincarnated/

hazar-reincarnated_front.jpg
hazar-reincarnated_back.jpg

It is bloody fabulous... I've listened to it dozens of times over the past few days.

It comes with the two best immersive formats... Atmos and Auro... And for when you're not tethered to your Realiser.. the disc also includes binaural stereo.

The music is presented from -150° to 150° and all points above. It's a natural sound... without the novelty of instruments soloing from the top channels. There are times where the music starts in the far right or left-hand corner.. you may think like I did that you have a imbalance with your headphones... I love when the sound engineer forces you to listen not only to the instruments.. but where they're coming from.

This is a great Blu-ray... great great great... and I highly recommend it.

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #13,856 of 15,989
Aug 3, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #13,857 of 15,989
For the French distributor, by visiting https://av-in.com/collections/smyth-realiser, one can see Épuisé (out of stock in English) for both Smyth Realiser A16 - format horizontal and Smyth Realiser A16 - format vertical.

With respect to Auro-3D, on June 30th, 2022, at the French forum, there was a post about a message from James Smyth
“5- when will this Auro upgrade be available?
J: we still have to update the manual as there is important information about the Auro setup. This should be added to the manual in the next week.”

That message allowed one to infer that by July 10 at the latest, the updated manual would be available for download. Today is August 3rd, 2022, and there’s no official notification on the availability of Auro-3d and no updated manual is posted at https://smyth-research.com/downloads/.
@GeorgeA , thanks for the update. We all know about Smyth Research’s timeline predictions. Thankfully, at least we have sorted out Auro 3D basic functionality in the absence of an updated manual.

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #13,858 of 15,989
that people would be James ???
I thought that they had, sometime in the past, hired a programmer to work on the Realiser Exchange. I have no idea as to whether or not that person is still with the company(or if there is currently anyone in that role).

I don’t know if updating the manual is part of James’s job description or skill set.

Aug 3, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #13,860 of 15,989
If any of you would like to read more about HAZAR – Reincarnated, the Pure Audio Blu-ray disc that has been praised by @Litlgi74 a few posts back and also more about immersive audio and mShuttle technology, please instruct me how to upload the booklet. Unfortunately, the server at head-fi.org notified me that the pdf file is too large to be processed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back