Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 3, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #13,861 of 15,986
I thought that they had, sometime in the past, hired a programmer to work on the Realiser Exchange. I have no idea as to whether or not that person is still with the company(or if there is currently anyone in that role).

The programmer left over two years ago. In early 2020 they said the site was 6-8 weeks from launching and just needed final testing. Obviously that was either an outright lie or incompetent. (I think a bit of each.) At this point, the best estimate for the Exchange website is NEVER. They have no money to hire a developer and they clearly don't have the skill set in-house to "finish" the website.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #13,863 of 15,986
The programmer left over two years ago. In early 2020 they said the site was 6-8 weeks from launching and just needed final testing. Obviously that was either an outright lie or incompetent. (I think a bit of each.) At this point, the best estimate for the Exchange website is NEVER. They have no money to hire a developer and they clearly don't have the skill set in-house to "finish" the website.
I'm afraid that you may be right. Stephen Smyth at least is good at programming firmware (I don't know about Michael Smyth's skill set). Developing the Exchange website is something else entirely. The global supply chain slowdown will have to be essentially resolved before Smyth Research can begin to produce and sell A16 units again. Even by James's estimate, we're looking at some time in 2023 or 2024 before that happens.

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #13,865 of 15,986
The exchange site was " completed " by the programmer and was/is waiting on James to release it... not sure what the hold up was/is... its still there on line
I honestly don't know what the status of the Exchange site development is. No offense towards you, but I remain skeptical of any statement made by Smyth Research that says that the site has been "completed." It's been online in inactive status for years now and you still can't even set up a user account.

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #13,866 of 15,986
I honestly don't know what the status of the Exchange site development is. No offense towards you, but I remain skeptical of any statement made by Smyth Research that says that the site has been "completed." It's been online in inactive status for years now and you still can't even set up a user account.
the actual development site is fully functional... again... not sure why its not being released as it was handed off to the Smyths a while back... they also still have the files from the shows that have not been given out yet...

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #13,867 of 15,986
Thinking thru the exchange site development and the timing to when the programmer left I think I know why it hasn't been released yet...
I think it is because the programmer built the exchange site for the 16 channel Atmos formats and 2 channel stereo format.....
That leaves out the 24 channel Atmos formats, the DTX formats and the newly released Aero 3D formats..
The basic exchange site is complete per the programmer but timing wise he couldn't have added the latest developments as they weren't available to him.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #13,868 of 15,986
Thinking thru the exchange site development and the timing to when the programmer left I think I know why it hasn't been released yet...
I think it is because the programmer built the exchange site for the 16 channel Atmos formats and 2 channel stereo format.....
That leaves out the 24 channel Atmos formats, the DTX formats and the newly released Aero 3D formats..
The basic exchange site is complete per the programmer but timing wise he couldn't have added the latest developments as they weren't available to him.
Assuming that you're correct in your assessment, what would be the downside of opening up the exchange, starting with a 16 channel limitation? That would still provide access to what I would expect to be the vast majority of end user produced PRIRs. Consider that 24 channel PRIRs are almost exclusively provided by commercial studios and locked to specific A16s, and are, therefore, not eligible for inclusion in the exchange database.

How many people have an existing 24 channel room available to them? Also, how many people have the expertise and fortitude that it would take to make a 24 channel PRIR, even if starting with a physical (not virtual) 7.1.4 room and then adding 12 more virtual speakers by capturing one to two speakers at a time?

Further, the Smyths have already captured 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos PRIRs at their various show demonstrations, such as past CanJams, etc. Lastly, Auro 3D already has a 16 channel limit already "baked into the cake," as it were, by its developer.

Aug 3, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #13,869 of 15,986

That is possible. 3DSoundShop shows what can be done right now. My own theory is that the programmer did not have the correct skills (we discussed this here a few years ago based on his LinkedIn) to build what the Smyth's envisioned, which was quite complex. I'm just guessing here and don't want to besmirch him, but the Smyths could probably not have afforded a more experienced programmer. The guy they had was early in his career. Anyway, I think if the website had actually only needed final testing in early 2020 (as they said), it would be operational by now, since they need the money.

I also don't believe anyone will ever see the PRIRs that were created by the Smyths at audio shows. They created them using pre-release A-16s. My theory is that the data is either corrupt, needs conversion, or has been lost. Otherwise, it is really hard to explain why they would not just charge us say $200 to ship it to each of us. Easy money. The Smyths reply to most of my emails, but when I ask about the PRIRs, I get no response. Luckily, I don't need that PRIR anymore since I have a custom PRIR made by 3DSoundShop.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #13,870 of 15,986
Also, how many people have the expertise and fortitude that it would take to make a 24 channel PRIR, even if starting with a physical (not virtual) 7.1.4 room and then adding 12 more virtual speakers by capturing one to two speakers at a time?
I made a 16 channel PRIR using 2 speakers just re-orienting myself in front of the speakers, always staying in the sweetspot. If I had a 24 channel A16 I would have made a 24 channel PRIR already, it's just 50% more work than a 16 channel PRIR...
Of course not everybody is (or feels like being) up to the task of measuring PRIRs, but 24 channels isn't essentially harder than 16 channels.

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #13,871 of 15,986
I made a 16 channel PRIR using 2 speakers just re-orienting myself in front of the speakers, always staying in the sweetspot. If I had a 24 channel A16 I would have made a 24 channel PRIR already, it's just 50% more work than a 16 channel PRIR...
Of course not everybody is (or feels like being) up to the task of measuring PRIRs, but 24 channels isn't essentially harder than 16 channels.
You’re the exception that proves the rule.

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #13,872 of 15,986
Wondering if 24 channels are better than 16 channels?

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #13,874 of 15,986
Wondering if 24 channels are better than 16 channels?
Localizing speaker sources in a 7.1.4 system is doable. Doing so in a 15.1.8/13.1.10 or 12.1.10 system(I have the former two in purchased “universal” PRIRs and the latter in my own professionally captured PRIR) is another thing entirely. I certainly couldn’t do it when listening to 24 channels. Having said that, listening to 24 channels is a very different and wonderful experience. It’s far too subjective for me to say which is better. Happily for us, we don’t have to choose. That’s why I have different presets with Dolby Atmos lIstening rooms in 5.1.4, 7.1.4, 12.1.10, 13.1.10 and 15.1.8 configurations. Likewise, I have Auro 3D listening rooms in 9.1, 11.1 and 13.1 configurations. Further, I have stereo, 3.0, 4.0 and 5.1 PCM rooms. It all depends on what I’m listening to and what I find myself in the mood for. The A16 allows for an embarrassment of riches.

Aug 3, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #13,875 of 15,986
IMG_20220803_231509.jpg
I'm spoiled... but this is the area I'm interested in and excited about!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back