Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 4, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #13,561 of 15,988
🤩 How cool! Any idea why? Do they use it to listen to the mix in different environments?

Beyond the initial reason the picture was posted, I was referring to these objects:
Oppp.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #13,562 of 15,988
🤩 How cool! Any idea why? Do they use it to listen to the mix in different environments?
I think the Smyth Research unit device in the MSM studios in Munich (in the attached photo) is a Realiser A16 professional series, which adds “personalisation results in precise replication of dubbing stages and control rooms”, as highlighted at https://smyth-research.com/.

Moreover, as @chi2 reported in Post #10,408, he participated in Atmos 9.1.4 measurement in the MSM studios in Munich, which was intermediated by For-Tune Vertrieb.
https://for-tune.de/produkt/dolby-atmos-prir-messung-msm-studios-muenchen/

So, that unit might be also used for PRIR measurements in the MSM studios.

Jun 4, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #13,563 of 15,988
For those who listen to movies at home in Atmos (Realiser or speakers) who have not yet picked up The Batman, I cannot recommend it enough. Sure, the movie itself is really, really good, but it has by far, one of the most impressive Atmos mixes I've heard yet, and sounds phenomenal in the Realiser. It ranks up there with Blade Runner 2049, A Quiet Place and Dune for having a generally good mix, but also outstanding atmospherics. I'm just sitting here in awe at how good the mix sounds. It's easily the most immersive audio I've heard at home yet. "Reference material" gets thrown around quite often with Blu-rays and UHDs, but I think in this case, it's a real contender for being a fact.

Jun 5, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #13,565 of 15,988
Beyond the initial reason the picture was posted, I was referring to these objects:Oppp.jpeg
I was aware of that.

1. I think the Smyth Research unit device in the MSM studios in Munich (in the attached photo) is a Realiser A16 professional series, which adds “personalisation results in precise replication of dubbing stages and control rooms”, as highlighted at https://smyth-research.com/.

Moreover, as @chi2 reported in Post #10,408, he participated in Atmos 9.1.4 measurement in the MSM studios in Munich, which was intermediated by For-Tune Vertrieb.
https://for-tune.de/produkt/dolby-atmos-prir-messung-msm-studios-muenchen/

2. So, that unit might be also used for PRIR measurements in the MSM studios.

1. Thats what I meant when I wrote “Do they use it to listen to the mix in different environments?”
2. At least in my case For-Tune asked me to bring my own A16 when coming to the studio.

Jun 6, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #13,566 of 15,988
2. At least in my case For-Tune asked me to bring my own A16 when coming to the studio.
That means they want to confine the use of the PRIR files to a given Realiser A16 unit. In other words, the PRIR files might not be used with another Realiser A16 unit. Am I right?

Jun 7, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #13,568 of 15,988
Just got home from seeing "Top Gun: Maverick" in the AMC Dolby Cinema (theater #14) at AMC Century City here in Los Angeles. ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIC! Super-fun, and amazing huge picture and amazing sound in stadium seating design.

Dolby Atmos sound system here consists of 8 speakers on left wall, right wall, and rear wall, along with two columns (front-to-rear) of 8 overhead speakers on the ceiling, along with probably 5 wonderful speakers behind the screen, and I'm sure perhaps 3-4 sub-woofers as well. Total of maybe 48 speakers with .16 overhead.

Also they have super-comfortable electronically adjustable "plush leatherette tactile seats" with lots of front leg room. So the seats vibrate in sync with the film sound as necessary. Just super-fun!

All in all, this really is very likely THE REFERENCE DEMO when the shiny disc comes out. Also, the Rotten Tomatoes scores of 97 (critics) and 99 (audience) is really accurate. This is a fabulously well done and enjoyable film. On all levels. Just great.

But if you want to experience it "for real", before we let the A16 have a shot at it, go see it in an AMC Dolby Cinema (or similar) theater if you've got one near you. This film deserves to be seen in that type of auditorium.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #13,569 of 15,988
I fully expect them to. My guess is they will enable scanning a person's head using either the cameras (they demoed some 3D object capture using only cameras) or using the LIDAR on the 12 Pro Max and iPad Pro. Maybe both if available. This would allow modeling a decent approximation of the HRTF. As long as the Pinnae are modeled accurately enough. That HRTF would then be associated with the account owner's iCloud and would be used by all playback devices to factor in the HRTF.

Well, I was a year ahead regarding my prediction, as Apple announced the new custom spatial audio feature coming in iOS 16 at yesterday's WWDC.

They went one better and use the TrueDepth facial recognition scanner in most iOS devices to create the 3D mapping of the head and ears.

I'll deploy the public beta to my iPad Pro and give it a shot whenever the beta is released. I expect it to still not be as good as a PRIR, but to be 'good enough'.

Here is a summary article of the announcement: https://www.whathifi.com/news/apple...for-airpods-with-the-iphones-truedepth-camera

Jun 8, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #13,570 of 15,988
Well, I was a year ahead regarding my prediction, as Apple announced the new custom spatial audio feature coming in iOS 16 at yesterday's WWDC.

They went one better and use the TrueDepth facial recognition scanner in most iOS devices to create the 3D mapping of the head and ears.

I'll deploy the public beta to my iPad Pro and give it a shot whenever the beta is released. I expect it to still not be as good as a PRIR, but to be 'good enough'.

Here is a summary article of the announcement: https://www.whathifi.com/news/apple...for-airpods-with-the-iphones-truedepth-camera
Will it just be useful with the iPhone and iPad. or will it also enable things like Atmos over headphones with the M1 Mac Mini? And can Apple decode the object based codecs from all providers or only over their own iMusic and Apple TV+?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #13,571 of 15,988
Will it just be useful with the iPhone and iPad. or will it also enable things like Atmos over headphones with the M1 Mac Mini? And can Apple decode the object based codecs from all providers or only over their own iMusic and Apple TV+?
At this time, only the iOS/TVOS based devices can decode Atmos streams and apply binaural transforms for the Apple AirPod line. The decoding ability is at the OS level, so any App could make use of that API to pass a DD+ encoded Atmos audio stream would get correctly processed for the headsets. For instance, the Tidal App for both the Apple TV and iOS can stream Atmos (I've used that).
The Netflix and Disney+ apps also do Atmos on the AppleTV, so it's not restricted to Apple-branded services.

As for Atmos on the macOS machines, I'm guessing they have not done anything there yet due to licensing. Technically, it could be done yesterday, so the fact that it has not been, tells me it's a business decision to not pay Dolby a royalty for every macOS machine on the planet.

As a Mac user myself (since 1984), I do not see that as a big deal, as each of my systems has an AppleTV, and I have an iOS device on or near me at all times to feed the AirPod Max or AirPod Pro headsets. So I sit at my desk and play stuff on Apple Music from my iPhone while wearing the AirPod Max headset. That way, if I get up and go upstairs for a drink refill, I don't miss a beat.

The sad part is I have a nice DAC + Amp + Electrostatic headset in the office, and I've not used it in over six months.

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #13,572 of 15,988
At this time, only the iOS/TVOS based devices can decode Atmos streams and apply binaural transforms for the Apple AirPod line. The decoding ability is at the OS level, so any App could make use of that API to pass a DD+ encoded Atmos audio stream would get correctly processed for the headsets. For instance, the Tidal App for both the Apple TV and iOS can stream Atmos (I've used that).
The Netflix and Disney+ apps also do Atmos on the AppleTV, so it's not restricted to Apple-branded services.

As for Atmos on the macOS machines, I'm guessing they have not done anything there yet due to licensing. Technically, it could be done yesterday, so the fact that it has not been, tells me it's a business decision to not pay Dolby a royalty for every macOS machine on the planet.

As a Mac user myself (since 1984), I do not see that as a big deal, as each of my systems has an AppleTV, and I have an iOS device on or near me at all times to feed the AirPod Max or AirPod Pro headsets. So I sit at my desk and play stuff on Apple Music from my iPhone while wearing the AirPod Max headset. That way, if I get up and go upstairs for a drink refill, I don't miss a beat.

The sad part is I have a nice DAC + Amp + Electrostatic headset in the office, and I've not used it in over six months.
It would be useful to me if I wanted to use an iOS device for OTG. But for at home I'm sticking to my HD800's/LCD X's with fully rendedered ATMOS by 24 channel emulated D&D 8C's.

Ultimately what I want from Apple and Microsoft are fully implemented object based 24 channel Codecs on their Windows and macOS boxes with LPCM streams made available for PEQ and DSP within those boxes, and subsequently ported to high quality DACS (OCTO DAC 8?) via USB.

If Dolby and the rest of the owners of these codecs want to achieve mass market penetration and sell Atmos, DTS-X, et al to someone other than Trinov owners, they're going to have to get over this "first you plug your source into your AV receiver" bull crap.

Jun 10, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #13,573 of 15,988

So .. as I wait for my A16.. I ended up buying the Airpod Max. The only Apple product I own is the ATV4k. (I'm an android and Windows 11 PC guy). So far, its the best Dolby Atmos for movies I've heard. In Disney+ you have to start the movie then put the headphones on to get Atmos. Netflix, Paramoutn+, HBOMax and Prime all work with Atmos (although selection of movies is limited). Vudu doesnt pass Atmos thru its app, but the movies, for the most part, ported to (I guess thru Movies Anywhere) to AppleTV/iTunes Movies where I can get Atmos.

Can I borrow someone else's iPhone, will I be able to get an HRTF made on their iPhone 1 time and will it be linked to my account on the ATV4k? or would I need to have an iPhone present with me when I watch movies? Not sure how this works.

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #13,574 of 15,988
I have been in the pre-order queue for... err, now I can almost say "forever," and not feel that I am exaggerating too much. Indeed for the past three years or so, I have mostly lived in complete forgetfulness of my A-16 pre-order adventure. Lately, I have been wondering about a couple of options : either pay the difference and get my A16 now, or sell my position in the queue to someone else who is willing to move on it. What is the better option?

I used to have big dreams, fantasies, and plans about all I could do with the A-16, but that was more than four years ago, and after the looooong wait and holding pattern which most people in this forum are familiar with, and a dizzying number of disappointments from the Smyths, I am not sure maintaining my interest in this technology is even worth it anymore. What I am sure about is that the wait-and-hold pattern has become the very definition of ridiculous, and must end, one way or the other.

Any helpful thoughts?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #13,575 of 15,988
I have been in the pre-order queue for... err, now I can almost say "forever," and not feel that I am exaggerating too much. Indeed for the past three years or so, I have mostly lived in complete forgetfulness of my A-16 pre-order adventure. Lately, I have been wondering about a couple of options : either pay the difference and get my A16 now, or sell my position in the queue to someone else who is willing to move on it. What is the better option?

I used to have big dreams, fantasies, and plans about all I could do with the A-16, but that was more than four years ago, and after the looooong wait and holding pattern which most people in this forum are familiar with, I am not sure maintaining my interest in this technology is even worth it anymore. What I am sure about is that the wait-and-hold pattern has become the very definition of ridiculous, and must end, one way or the other.

Any helpful thoughts?
What the "better option" is depends on your personal finances and your willingness to part with more money. It also depends upon where you stand in the pre-order queue as that significantly determines the likelihood that you might find a buyer for your queue number.

I count myself extraordinarily fortunate to have paid only 800 USD for a Kickstarter slot and also for having received my A16 after an almost 3 1/2 year wait. After a now 5+ year wait to receive my (captured in a hotel room) CanJam 2017 PRIR(which I still have yet to receive), I will soon be spending 1500 USD for a professional in person PRIR capture at the 3D Soundshop studio. I'm fine with that given my multiple extremely positive interactions with John Teixeira(3D SoundShop proprietor), the known quality of John's work, and, of course, the fact that I paid so, so little for a Kickstarter unit.

I was in a "wait and hold" situation for 3 1/2 years that, thankfully, has been over for some time now. Truthfully, I am unaware of whether or not you are in a "wait and hold" or "Waiting For Godot" situation. I, however, can honestly say to you that (1)the A16 is a phenomenal piece of technology that has brought me great satisfaction, and (2)even if you decide to recoup your financial investment at this time, it is still clear that advanced HRTF-based technology will be coming to consumers at some point in, hopefully, the not too distant future. While Smyth Research is not on secure financial footing, the same cannot be said about Apple Computers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back