Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 21, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #13,531 of 16,011
I'm not sure what you mean by select box? I did click the configure speakers button (shown in 2nd picture) if that's what you mean? Which yes, does show only 2 available channels to select from.

Not entirely sure either, but I guess I figured that multichannel would have been automatically implemented by apple, since those are the only ports available on the computer. The M1 was a recent purchase upgrade from my older MacBook which had its own hdmi port, but I suppose I might have to consider investing in one of the newer MacBook with an hdmi port if that's the problem.
Don't press the configure speakers button. What does the "Format" select box (on the same page as the configure speakers button) show you?

May 22, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #13,532 of 16,011
(3) Tonight I discovered a new anomaly. Perhaps there is an explanation or solution, and I don't know specifically when it first appeared. My upgrade to 2.11 was from 2.10 (which involved a full factory reset), if that's relevant. As mentioned in the 2.11 README, it was supposed to be unnecessary to repeat the factory reset and I definitely did NOT do it.

So the new anomaly is that for some reason, the MAXIMUM VOLUME that I can adjust to is 83. In fact I've adjusted my "max HP vol" (in Audio Settings) from its initial default of 79 to my desired max of 89. And that's where it sits. Also, the "limiter off" switch is OFF but I've also tried it with ON (supposedly defeating the auto-limiting feature). Doesn't matter which way "limiter off" is set.

No matter what, even with no active source, I cannot adjust the volume above 83. I happened to be listening to a TV program which had awful sound and needed to make it louder. Actually even 83 wasn't quite enough. But I could not go higher. There was no clipping or anything, and no giant sound that would auto-drop the volume if the I hadn't disabled that protection. I just wanted volume to be louder than 83, and it would not happen.

Can anybody else confirm that this is happening to them or not?
Ok. I have the "answer" to this new mystery. I submit it is an unintended bug born with the new "initial volume" functionality (which DOES NOT WORK AT ALL) that purportedly is now available with 2.11.

Looking at the 2.11 README for the new "initial volume" feature, there is a caveat about something special regarding operating in 24ch mode: "In 24-ch mode the installed volume is always 6dB below Initial Vol specified in the User A preset." I don't know why this special adjustment of -6dB to the value I explictly set as "initial vol" for the preset is required specifically only when operating in 24ch mode, but it also appears to be impacting (intentionally or accidentally) the "max HP vol" setting as well!

So my "max HP vol" of 89 is apparently being limited by -6dB as well (intentional or otherwise), hence is now only 83!!

I have experimented by increasing "max HP vol" up to 93, and sure enough my actual maximum volume is now 87. I've now pushed it up to "max HP vol" of 95, and that now allows me to adjust my maximum volume up to 89 (as I intended and expected was possible).

So, whether this caveat in the README was written incorrectly and actually was MEANT to limit "max HP vol" (for some reason?) but was physically written to limit "initial volume", or whether it truly was meant to limit (and does, EXCEPT THAT THE "INITIAL VOL" FUNCTIONALITY DOES NOT WORK AT ALL) "initial volume" and also accidentally and unintentionally also limits "max HP vol", or maybe it was meant to limit both and the README accidentally omitted mention of also limiting "max HP vol"... I can only report that apparently this -6dB adjustment (when operating in 24ch mode, which I do) appears to impact "max HP vol".

I have written to Smyth about this discovery. Either the firmware needs correcting, or the documentation needs expansion, clarification or correction, to truly describe WHY this -6dB adjustment is appropriate for either "initial vol" or "max HP vol" or both, and then why only in 24ch mode. If it wasn't intended to limit "max HP vol" then that must be fixed.

At least I now have a workaround, to allow my "max HP vol" to truly go up to 89 using the VOLUME key on the remote.

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #13,533 of 16,011
@KMann since you have both Dave and the A16 i'm curious how they compare and if there are circumstances where the A16 can replace your Dave for music listening, not just movies/gaming.

May 22, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #13,534 of 16,011
Since A16 has a digital output, under no circumstance do I listen via HP output of A16, even with movies. So an external DAC will always be used. For music listening the only time I see A16 of use for me is with multi-channel music. For stereo, coloration and loss of transparency is large enough a compromise that I do not use A16 for music, I prefer my direct driven high efficiency monitors.

May 22, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #13,535 of 16,011
Since A16 has a digital output, under no circumstance do I listen via HP output of A16, even with movies. So an external DAC will always be used. For music listening the only time I see A16 of use for me is with multi-channel music. For stereo, coloration and loss of transparency is large enough a compromise that I do not use A16 for music, I prefer my direct driven high efficiency monitors.
I thought it would replace a classic dac for a more speaker-like experience. This would only be relevant for gaming and then.
I guess i'm stuck with Chord's Crossfeed or DCS' Expanse in the near future.

May 22, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #13,536 of 16,011
I thought it would replace a classic dac for a more speaker-like experience. This would only be relevant for gaming and then.
I guess i'm stuck with Chord's Crossfeed or DCS' Expanse in the near future.
If I understand @KMann correctly he compares stereo via a pair of virtual speakers (rendered by the A16) with stereo via a real pair of speakers, and in that scenario he prefers the real speakers. And as reasons he mentiones coloration and loss of transparency.
I have 2 remarks about that:
1. Possibly his PRIR/HPEQ could be improved still (for example by doin a manLoud, a manual procedure to improve the HPEQ) so possibly he hasn't reach the maximum possible quality yet of virtual speakers rendered by the A16. (I am not saying that 100% equal can be reached, but maybe close enough and not being "large enough a compromise".)
2. Someone who doesn't have very good speakers and a suitable room for optimal speaker performance may prefer virtual speakers rendered by the A16, even if the latter are not 100% perfect they could still be better then using bad speakers and/or a bad room. [Edit: or someone may have to mind the neighbours and can not use real speakers playing loud.]

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #13,537 of 16,011
If I understand @KMann correctly he compares stereo via a pair of virtual speakers (rendered by the A16) with stereo via a real pair of speakers, and in that scenario he prefers the real speakers. And as reasons he mentiones coloration and loss of transparency.
1. Possibly his PRIR/HPEQ could be improved still (for example by doin a manLoud, a manual procedure to improve the HPEQ) so possibly he hasn't reach the maximum possible quality yet of virtual speakers rendered by the A16. (I am not saying that 100% equal can be reached, but maybe close enough and not being "large enough a compromise".)
2. Someone who doesn't have very good speakers and a suitable room for optimal speaker performance may prefer virtual speakers rendered by the A16, even if the latter are not 100% perfect they could still be better then using bad speakers and/or a bad room. [Edit: or someone may have to mind the neighbours and can not use real speakers playing loud.]
My experience is that you need to do a manLOUD even with an in person PRIR to get the best out of the A16. Once you do that, you will have an awesome system both for music and cinema (not a gamer, so IDK re that).

May 22, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #13,538 of 16,011
As I also have a Chord Dave and an A16, I figured I’d chime in here. I’m very happy with my living room stereo setup consisting of Dave(of course), a Marantz KI Pearl stereo amplifier and a Gallo speaker system (a pair of their 1st generation Strada speakers plus a Gallo TR3 subwoofer). It’s by no means the most extravagant system on earth but it’s also nothing that I have to apologize for.

As you may know, I also have an in person visit to the 3D SoundShop studio for a PRIR measurement. In the meantime, I have done ALL of my stereo listening either with loudspeakers or with either a Hifiman HE1000 v2 or modded Sennheiser HD800 plugged directly into Dave. For stereo listening, my own homemade PRIR doesn’t hold a candle to the aforementioned modalities. While I expect that to change once I have a professional in studio PRIR measurement done, my main purpose in purchasing the A16 was for multichannel music(mostly) and video(less frequent) enjoyment. As I also have a modest handful of 3 channel ”In Living Stereo“ SACDs, I will be using the A16 for 3 channel, quadraphonic, 5.1, Dolby Atmos and, occasionally, Auro 3D content enjoyment.

Now, what listening to music through stereo speakers allows me is the opportunity to listen socially(i.e., with other people also in the room), to move around untethered to headphones and to listen to DSD stereo recordings. I also have 2 or 3 stereo recordings in 24 352 resolution that play happily with Dave.

Otherwise, I do also enjoy listening to stereo recordings with headphones connected to Dave.

And as I live in a freestanding house, I don’t have to worry about disturbing neighbors at normal, healthy listening volumes.

May 22, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #13,539 of 16,011
My experience is that you need to do a manLOUD even with an in person PRIR to get the best out of the A16.
Yes, I agree. I must say that I just assumed that @KMann is using an in person PRIR already, if not then for sure he is not using his A16 anywhere near optimal!

[Edit: I was looking at some older posts by KMann and I saw he did personal PRIR measurements and manLOUDs, and put quite a bit of effort into that it seems.]

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #13,540 of 16,011
I don't use speakers at all so my question was actually how would a good PRIR/HPEQ of a 2.0 system out of the A16 (as I assume that would be preferable to using Dave) compare to using headphones direct to Dave.
He did answer my question though, and It sounds like there is still a considerable gap.

May 22, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #13,541 of 16,011
As I also have a Chord Dave and an A16, I figured I’d chime in here. I’m very happy with my living room stereo setup consisting of Dave(of course), a Marantz KI Pearl stereo amplifier and a Gallo speaker system (a pair of their 1st generation Strada speakers plus a Gallo TR3 subwoofer). It’s by no means the most extravagant system on earth but it’s also nothing that I have to apologize for.

As you may know, I also have an in person visit to the 3D SoundShop studio for a PRIR measurement. In the meantime, I have done ALL of my stereo listening either with loudspeakers or with either a Hifiman HE1000 v2 or modded Sennheiser HD800 plugged directly into Dave. For stereo listening, my own homemade PRIR doesn’t hold a candle to the aforementioned modalities. While I expect that to change once I have a professional in studio PRIR measurement done, my main purpose in purchasing the A16 was for multichannel music(mostly) and video(less frequent) enjoyment. As I also have a modest handful of 3 channel ”In Living Stereo“ SACDs, I will be using the A16 for 3 channel, quadraphonic, 5.1, Dolby Atmos and, occasionally, Auro 3D content enjoyment.

Now, what listening to music through stereo speakers allows me is the opportunity to listen socially(i.e., with other people also in the room), to move around untethered to headphones and to listen to DSD stereo recordings. I also have 2 or 3 stereo recordings in 24 352 resolution that play happily with Dave.

Otherwise, I do also enjoy listening to stereo recordings with headphones connected to Dave.

And as I live in a freestanding house, I don’t have to worry about disturbing neighbors at normal, healthy listening volumes.
Thanks for sharing your experience, i was mostly looking at a more speaker-like presentation out of a headphone system than my current HQP+Dave solution.

May 22, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #13,542 of 16,011
Thanks for sharing your experience, i was mostly looking at a more speaker-like presentation out of a headphone system than my current HQP+Dave solution.
HQP + Dave will sound great but it won’t give you the “out of your head” experience that you get with the A16. Of course, you also have the option of bypassing the A16’s DAC by using Dave digitally connected to the A16. Therefore, you have the opportunity to compare the sound of the A16 alone to the sound of the A16 with Dave.

May 23, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #13,543 of 16,011
At the other site of the French distributor for Realiser A16, I’ve noticed an interesting clarification with respect to firmware & update.

*: The use of Auro-3D and Auro-Matic is described in the SMYTH Realiser A16 manual 1.7 in French, to be downloaded from your " Club Realiser " space. Will require activation by purchasing a license. Contact us for more details.
https://www.smyth-realiser.fr/realiser-a16-telechargement-firmware

That means the updated user manual in French might also describe Auro-3D listening rooms loudspeaker configurations. I’m aware that the French manual is covered by copyright. Most probably, a new revision of the English user manual will be available after purchasing Auro-3D certification.

May 23, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #13,544 of 16,011
Finally heard back from James:

"In 24ch mode the maximum volume is always 6dB below the value set in the menu. This is not a bug and has operated this way ever since the 24ch mode was introduced."

This is news to me, although it confirms my actual experience as I've previously reported here. I've now looked back at all Smyth-published documents since the README for firmware 1.90 (which first supported the upgraded 24ch HDMI/eARC hardware) was released back in May 2020. There is NO MENTION of "-6dB" or "6dB below" or "-6" in ANY document, aside from the "New Features" section of the very latest README for 2.11 which mentions it as it relates to the newly announced "Initial Vol" on preset load feature (which I have reported DOES NOT WORK AT ALL):

"In 24-ch mode the installed volume is always 6dB below Initial Vol specified in the User A preset."

I've communicated back with James, stating that there's never been ANY previous mention of "-6dB" also applying to "max HP vol" when "SVS 24ch" is enabled. Nothing in sections 5.3.4.1 or 5.3.5.1 of the latest 2.00 User Manual, nor any README for firmware releases 1.90 and newer. Nor has there even ever been an explanation as to why this "-6dB" adjustment is even needed or required or appropriate for ANY functionality, either 'Initial Vol" or "max HP vol"... simply because 24ch is in effect. What is the justification for this behavior?? Why is it different for 16ch vs. 24ch?? And doesn't it seem non-intuitive that the user is asked to set a value, but the actual implementation of that value is NOT THAT VALUE but in fact a different value 6 smaller (only if 24ch is enabled)???

Anyway, at least he's confirmed (or stated) that it's NOT A BUG, but a FEATURE. Apparently working as designed, however inexplicable and non-intuitive.

Hopefully they will provide a clarification and explanation in some upcoming document, whatever that might be.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #13,545 of 16,011
Is anyone using the User B head tracker?

The status of the head tracker(s) is reported by pressing the "HT" button on the remote just left of the blue "PB" button while the speaker map is displayed. Mine says "not detected" for User B (click on the photo). When I plug in the head tracker when the A16 is on, the HT screen flashes several status messages, including "warming up", the LED on the head tracker shows green for a few seconds, then turns red and the status changes to "User B HT not detected".

If I plug that head tracker into User A it works as expected. Plugging the User A head tracker into User B also shows "User B HT not detected".

Alternatively, can anyone using a single head tracker select the "HT" screen on the remote and then temporarily plug the head tracker into User B and report what the screen shows for status and their firmware level. I'm on firmware 2.05.

(Note - press the HT button a second time to return to the speaker map).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back