Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 18, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #13,516 of 15,986
I’m a bit late to the party as today I’ve updated my Realiser A16 to the new firmware 2.11
How has the stability been with 2.11?

I've remained on 1.81 as it has been working fine for my purposes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and I'm just an occasional A16 user these days.

But I do not want to get too far behind the curve on firmware and am ready to invest the time to upgrade, but only if I can maintain stability.

May 19, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #13,518 of 15,986
How has the stability been with 2.11?

I've remained on 1.81 as it has been working fine for my purposes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and I'm just an occasional A16 user these days.

But I do not want to get too far behind the curve on firmware and am ready to invest the time to upgrade, but only if I can maintain stability.
Using it for approx a week and so far no issues.

May 19, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #13,519 of 15,986
(1) As I've reported previously, the CEC Standby functionality only seems to work now if the audio source is eARC. And that means the HDMI cable going to the TV can only be connected directly to the HDMI output of the A16 (rather than involving an AVR) but I guess that's to be expected if you want eARC audio through the A16.

But specifically, if I have things arranged in the "normal" way, with my sources going into HDMI1-4 of the A16 and HDMI-out of the A16 going to an HDMI input of my AVR, and then HDMI-out from the AVR going to the TV, well now CEC Standby DOES NOT WORK. That means if you use the TV remote to power the TV off, everything currently powered on also goes off... except for the A16 which remains on, thereby defeating the specific purpose of CEC Standby. The TV goes off, the currently active/ON input device (going into HDMI1-4 of the A16) goes off, the AVR goes off, and the A16 remains on!

Again, the A16 only goes off (i.e. into CEC Standby) when the TV is powered off, when the TV is connected directly to the A16 and the input audio source is eARC.

(2) Also, the "initial volume" feature supposedly released in 2.11 DOES NOT WORK AT ALL. All Presets still launch at an initial volume of 62, no matter what value I have set in "initial volume". I was excited to see this feature implemented per the README (thinking it might be a direct response to my previous comments about this to Smyth regarding the inability to have an initial volume level stored in the P1-P4 presets as happens with the A8), but I'm afraid it doesn't work at all.

NOTE: I have reported both of these problems to James (and Stephen) and have not heard back word one in response or acknowledgement.

(3) Tonight I discovered a new anomaly. Perhaps there is an explanation or solution, and I don't know specifically when it first appeared. My upgrade to 2.11 was from 2.10 (which involved a full factory reset), if that's relevant. As mentioned in the 2.11 README, it was supposed to be unnecessary to repeat the factory reset and I definitely did NOT do it.

So the new anomaly is that for some reason, the MAXIMUM VOLUME that I can adjust to is 83. In fact I've adjusted my "max HP vol" (in Audio Settings) from its initial default of 79 to my desired max of 89. And that's where it sits. Also, the "limiter off" switch is OFF but I've also tried it with ON (supposedly defeating the auto-limiting feature). Doesn't matter which way "limiter off" is set.

No matter what, even with no active source, I cannot adjust the volume above 83. I happened to be listening to a TV program which had awful sound and needed to make it louder. Actually even 83 wasn't quite enough. But I could not go higher. There was no clipping or anything, and no giant sound that would auto-drop the volume if the I hadn't disabled that protection. I just wanted volume to be louder than 83, and it would not happen.

Can anybody else confirm that this is happening to them or not?

May 19, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #13,520 of 15,986
Hi, finally today I was able to install the Blu-ray Player and I can confirm that now at least everything from UHD to Dolby Atmos on Blu-ray are working fine.
Although I connected the player via LAN and it natively has Amazon Prime on board, Prime only outputs 5.1 max. No idea what to do. I have the same issue with the Amazon Fire TV stick. Here I guessed it might be too far away from the Wifi-router (1. floor, Fire TV on third floor) and I have so far not installed a Mesh.

But now with the Sony player I can finally happily enjoy some of my SACD and also in the near future some of the Pure Audio Blu-ray. Just ordered the Zauberflöte from 1964 in Dolby Atmos https://pureaudiorecordings.com/en/product/wolfgang-amadeus-mozart-die-zauberfloete-2/

EDIT: I found out that the information on the pureaudiorecordings website was wrong and that their is no Dolby Atmos. As I asked them - believing that I might do something wrong - they answered and admitted it was mistake.
Update: I found out that the information on the pureaudiorecordings website was wrong and that their is no Dolby Atmos. As I asked them - believing that I might do something wrong - they answered and admitted it was mistake. (edited my original post)

May 20, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #13,521 of 15,986
For those interested in the Balanced output option now available...
as you know the way its implemented is you will need adapters or a custom cable created for your headphones.... the output options are
1) user A/B outputs on the front ( 1/4 x 2 )
2) or the RCA user A/B outputs on the rear...

I presently have the custom HD800 cable that uses the front A/B and the balanced outputs are very powerful from the A16 but I feel limited with my other headphones that utilize balanced connections... mainly 4 pin XLR...
so I contacted Hart Audio Cables and asked them if they would create an adapter for the A16 utilizing a female 4 pin XLR with 2 RCA connections ( Left/Right )
I won't get this for a couple weeks to try it out and see how it works, but I will let everyone know once it gets delivered just in case anyone else is interested... they quoted $59.55
The advantage of using the RCA jacks out of the back of the A16 with a 4 pin XLR is that you can keep it connected at all times and when you want to use the balanced output you just plug in your headphones and select the balanced output option from the menu...
I'm making it 2 ft in length so you can route it around the front of the A16 for easy reach also...
Just wanted to let you all know and I'll be showing you pics and let you know how it sounds when it shows up....
doing it this way is just like having the A16 with Balanced XLR output, like most high end balanced amps are today...

you are right..sounds like we need to be careful with that tricky way..will need to double check with your expert cable maker to have the best safer connection.
Please find the cable mapping for the balanced mode which has been sent to me years ago from the Smyth when i asked them regarding the balanced mode option etc..
hi. Smyth recommended this special adapter to get balance audio with the A16 and when i try them, the audio sounds fine with the HP Balance menu DISABLED (which i find it weird), and when i ENABLED the Balance option menu, the audio in my headphones sounds very much-like mono audio. (i am using 4 pin XLR balance into my headphone)
i am not sure if i am getting the balance audio or not. anyone can advice? i believe the ebay adapter is the same as the one in lunchboxaudio.com/mytek item (link below)

also, does the Mytek Brooklyn DAC has a menu to enable/disable balance mode? or we just plug in the adapter to get balance straight up? Thanks

1653026808018.png

https://www.lunchboxaudio.com/mytek-digital-4pin-xlr-to-2-1-4-inch-jacks-balanced-headphone-adapter/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124521657872?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

May 20, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #13,522 of 15,986
It could be your adapter. Usually adapters focus on video and audio is a second thought. Maybe it modifies the EDID (or worse, has a fixed EDID) before passing it on to the M1. Mac mini M1 at least can do 8ch over HDMI.
Apologies. You know I thought it might be that too. I've tried hdmi through 3 different adaptors now all expensive and of good quality, including apple's own adaptor, but have only ever seen 2 channels for the a16 on the M1. Perhaps the issue is with the MacBook and might be helpful trying a different one.

May 20, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #13,523 of 15,986
Apologies. You know I thought it might be that too. I've tried hdmi through 3 different adaptors now all expensive and of good quality, including apple's own adaptor, but have only ever seen 2 channels for the a16 on the M1. Perhaps the issue is with the MacBook and might be helpful trying a different one.
Asking a very basic thing here but since you showed the Audio MIDI Setup app where only 2 channels are visible, you did open the select box right? And you're only seeing 2ch?

Actually I realized that there's an important distinction here. My M1 Mac mini has a built in HDMI port so that's what I was referring to. My (possibly incorrect) understanding of the USB-C HDMI adapters is that the computer basically thinks it's operating in DisplayPort mode, and the adapter is doing an active conversion to HDMI. I'm not sure what the story with multichannel over DisplayPort is so that may explain it.

May 20, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #13,524 of 15,986
hi. Smyth recommended this special adapter to get balance audio with the A16 and when i try them, the audio sounds fine with the HP Balance menu DISABLED (which i find it weird), and when i ENABLED the Balance option menu, the audio in my headphones sounds very much-like mono audio. (i am using 4 pin XLR balance into my headphone)
i am not sure if i am getting the balance audio or not. anyone can advice? i believe the ebay adapter is the same as the one in lunchboxaudio.com/mytek item (link below)

also, does the Mytek Brooklyn DAC has a menu to enable/disable balance mode? or we just plug in the adapter to get balance straight up? Thanks

1653026808018.png

https://www.lunchboxaudio.com/mytek-digital-4pin-xlr-to-2-1-4-inch-jacks-balanced-headphone-adapter/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124521657872?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
I have a special cable for my HD800 and for me I have to enable the balance audio mode in the A16 to get correct sound.

May 20, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #13,526 of 15,986
I don't know the pin-layout of the XLR plug, but assuming that part is correct then above connection diagram is not suitable for the A16.

The following diagram shows what the end to end connections from the A16 outputs to the headphone drivers should be.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #13,529 of 15,986
I don't know the pin-layout of the XLR plug, but assuming that part is correct then above connection diagram is not suitable for the A16.

The following diagram shows what the end to end connections from the A16 outputs to the headphone drivers should be.
yes think you are right, which is why I think when the balance mode is enable, it didn't sound correct and when it is disabled, basically i am just getting a normal unbalance sound even though both 1/4 is plugged in

May 21, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #13,530 of 15,986
Asking a very basic thing here but since you showed the Audio MIDI Setup app where only 2 channels are visible, you did open the select box right? And you're only seeing 2ch?

Actually I realized that there's an important distinction here. My M1 Mac mini has a built in HDMI port so that's what I was referring to. My (possibly incorrect) understanding of the USB-C HDMI adapters is that the computer basically thinks it's operating in DisplayPort mode, and the adapter is doing an active conversion to HDMI. I'm not sure what the story with multichannel over DisplayPort is so that may explain it.
I'm not sure what you mean by select box? I did click the configure speakers button (shown in 2nd picture) if that's what you mean? Which yes, does show only 2 available channels to select from.

Not entirely sure either, but I guess I figured that multichannel would have been automatically implemented by apple, since those are the only ports available on the computer. The M1 was a recent purchase upgrade from my older MacBook which had its own hdmi port, but I suppose I might have to consider investing in one of the newer MacBook with an hdmi port if that's the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back