Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 27, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #12,646 of 15,986
The instructions in the release notes for firmware (rev. 2.05 Oct 20 2021) are as follows:

- STEP 6. The firmware update is now complete. A full restore must be run to properly initialize new menu and Preset features First press BACK and then navigate to ‘Settings’ and press ENTER.
- Then navigate to ‘Restore factory setup’ and press ENTER again.
- Select ‘full restore’ and press Enter again.

That’s why I wrote full restore in my post #12,640.
I completely understand what you’re saying and that’s what I did after installing 2.05. James then asked if I had done a full factory restore to try and solve my issues. I told him I did a full restore and he said try the full factory restore which is a slightly different process.

Oct 27, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #12,647 of 15,986
I completely understand what you’re saying and that’s what I did after installing 2.05. James then asked if I had done a full factory restore to try and solve my issues. I told him I did a full restore and he said try the full factory restore which is a slightly different process.
Which version of Realiser is it ? 24ch?

Oct 27, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #12,648 of 15,986
Which version of Realiser is it ? 24ch?
Yes. Was a 16 channel model that I received in august 2019 that I sent back for the 24 channel and HDMI board update last year.

Oct 27, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #12,649 of 15,986
This is the Google translation from the French site in case anyone needs the info ....

Hello

This is a long message, because the subject is important (in any case, the wait is long).

Let's get right to the point: DTS: X decoding is finally available!

But…

It's a paid license. I would immediately like to point out that it is a worldwide decision by Smyth Research, the manufacturer, which concerns all A16s sold without exception, and that I have decided to step back on this financial aspect.

Also, if you are interested in this license (it is not mandatory), payment will have to be made in dollars ($ 249 with VAT) directly to Smyth Research. I detail all this a little further.

Here is what this DTS license adds:
- DTS, DTS HD, DTS: X decoding up to 7.1.4 or 9.1.2
- The DTS Neural: X upmix in 7.1.4 or 9.1.2 for DTS and PCM streams

It is possible on all Realiser A16s. In 16 or 24 channels.

As a reminder, this DTS: X decoding is not at all compulsory. Because the rendering of DTS tracks is already ensured in multichannel PCM conversion from all Ultra HD Blu-ray players on the market, so it is really only necessary to enjoy the rare DTS: X titles or even joys of DTS Neural: X upmixing. Or, if you have a Zappiti (including the very last ones, I asked), which, it is true, only outputs PCM 2.0 from DTS tracks.

Express procedure

So, if you want to add this license to your Realiser A16, you must send an email to james@smyth-research.comwith the Log of your A16 (I explain just after how to create it). He will send you in return a PayPal invoice of $ 249 to pay (the amount will be automatically converted into € during the day). Once paid, and within 2 working days which will follow, you will receive by email a file in ".bin", to copy in the "Realize" folder of your micro SD card of the A16. You then put this card in the turned off A16, you restart, and it will then automatically read this personal key for unlocking DTS decoding.

Important prerequisite: you must first make the last software update on your A16, 2.05 (link here) with then a "Restore factory setup" (which notably resets Presets 1 to 4). This update 2.

I specify that I have not yet updated the manual, because I have just left the Paris Audio Video Show (I will come back to it) where I exhibited the Realiser A16, while waiting for the SATIS in 15 days (9 and November 10). But it's being drafted, and I'll warn you.

Full procedure

1- Update 2.05 (procedure explained here)
2- Generate a log file. To do this, put the micro SD card in the A16. Go to "Settings", then "Updates / About". Go down to the “Generate log file” line. Press OK. Then remove the micro-SD card, and exit the menu (“exit” key).
3- On your computer, using the supplied micro SD to USB adapter, find the file that ends in ".BIN" in the "Realize" folder of the micro SD card.
4- Send this file as an attachment by email to james@smyth-research.com (click to open a pre-written email) with the subject of the email (in French): DTS update. 5- Upon receipt in return by email (after payment) as an attachment to your personal unlocking file with its ".BIN" extension, put it via your computer in the "Realize" folder of your micro SD card. Eject it cleanly. 6- A16 off, insert the micro SD card, then turn it on.

7- After automatic unlocking (if the file is correct and in the right place, the operation lasts a good ten minutes), go and check once finished that everything went well. For this, go to the menu page "Settings" then "Updates / About" and check the line "APM Firmware rev" which should bear the reference APM 8909 if the procedure was successful (APM 8901 for Dolby Atmos only) or APM113 (and APM 111 otherwise). If ever the lines are empty, restart the A16 for control. Exit the menu with the Exit key. The ".BIN" file can then remain on the card for life, or be removed, without effect.
8- Build your DTS listening rooms in 7.1.4 or 9.1.2, by copying for each the virtual speakers and settings of your Atmos configuration of identical number. *
9- Modify your presets one by one to add the appropriate virtual room on the DTS: X line.
10- Load the Preset to listen to.
8- Enjoy DTS: X, finally!

And to conclude (one more thing, as the other said). This DTS: X addition does not include the DTS: X Pro license, which will arrive later for 24-channel models. And it will also undoubtedly pay ... For all, with or without DTS: X already purchased.

Soon, Auro 3D will arrive, also as a paid codec (but cheaper I was told).

Thank you for your attention, and especially for your wait. And again, sorry for the modus operandi. I would have much preferred it to have been otherwise, but I'm not the decision-maker on this point (and I'm not the one who worked for months on DTS certification; I just pushed, pushed, pushed ... .).

*: "fast pass" tip, for those who read to the end. You can save yourself the need to create DTS: X rooms by forcing the A16 to load Atmos rooms for all signals (Dolby, DTS, and PCM). The native and upmix DTS: X rendering will then be in 7.1.4 (rather than 9.1.2). To do this, go to "Listening rooms" and on the "loading" line, change the value of "all" to "only atmos" with the ADJ + key.

Last note (or almost ...): DTS requires that the upmix be active by default (the opposite is true for Dolby; it must be activated manually). Suddenly, with a DTS track you will also have (recreated) sound on the ceiling. For a direct listening without upmixing of the DTS tracks, in the menu page of each Preset, go down to the 2nd page and activate the tab of the "DTS Direct" line with the ADJ + button.

Ah, and if all of this scares you and you prefer that I do your own update, add DTS, and restore settings, it is possible, but you will understand that there will be additional costs. Contact me (by email) to discuss it.

See you soon. "

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #12,650 of 15,986
After all, have you enabled that full factory restore option?

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #12,651 of 15,986
I did yesterday. It seemed to fix the issue of not getting sound until switching to preset 16 and then back to the preset I want to hear, but the problem started again last night so it didn’t actually fix it.

Oct 27, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #12,654 of 15,986

Clarifying how to do "full factory restore" - I go to "Settings->Restore Factory Setup->Press enter for full restore" and press enter twice.

I did that and now when I go to settings->updates/about, the first page with firmware revisions for the various components has no version information listed at all, just blank fields. On the second "Hardware revision" page it says

HDMI HW: none detected
DEC HW:: none detected
MEZZ HW: none detected

I guess that explains why I get no HDMI audio. Time for a firmware reload.

UPDATE - my preset 1 input had been set to "Line" by the restore. I switched it back to HDMI 1 and now I'm getting audio, but the "about" fields haven't changed. Uncertain as to what to do now - keep it the way it is since it's working or reload firmware.

UPDATE 2 - after power cycling the unit (physically unplug it), all the version/about information is now correct.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #12,655 of 15,986
Clarifying how to do "full factory restore" - I go to "Settings->Restore Factory Setup->Press enter for full restore" and press enter twice.

I did that and now when I go to settings->updates/about, the first page with firmware revisions for the various components has no version information listed at all, just blank fields. On the second "Hardware revision" page it says

HDMI HW: none detected
DEC HW:: none detected
MEZZ HW: none detected

I guess that explains why I get no HDMI audio. Time for a firmware reload.

UPDATE - my preset 1 input had been set to "Line" by the restore. I switched it back to HDMI 1 and now I'm getting audio, but the "about" fields haven't changed. Uncertain as to what to do now - keep it the way it is since it's working or reload firmware.
Empty fields denote an unsuccessful firmware update. You will have to update firmware again and ensure the revision numbers are visible . That’s what the update instructions say.

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #12,656 of 15,986
Empty fields denote an unsuccessful firmware update. You will have to update firmware again and ensure the revision numbers are visible . That’s what the update instructions say.

I accidently power cycled the A16 (power strip problem) and now all the "about" information is correct without reloading the firmware. I had to switch to Preset 16 to get the audio going, but now all presets I tried worked. Still haven't tried DTS.

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #12,657 of 15,986
I accidently power cycled the A16 (power strip problem) and now all the "about" information is correct without reloading the firmware. I had to switch to Preset 16 to get the audio going, but now all presets I tried worked. Still haven't tried DTS.
So I’m not the only one with the switch to preset 16 to get sound issue?

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #12,658 of 15,986
So I’m not the only one with the switch to preset 16 to get sound issue?
When on 2.03 and 2.05 before the DTS upgrade I usually had to switch to Preset 1 to get the audio after every power-on, then I could switch to my preset.

Today when there was no sound on Preset 1 after I installed DTS and did the Full Factory Restore, I tried Preset 16 instead since you mentioned it and it worked.

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #12,659 of 15,986
I did yesterday. It seemed to fix the issue of not getting sound until switching to preset 16 and then back to the preset I want to hear, but the problem started again last night so it didn’t actually fix it.
Tonight, I turned on my Realiser A16, built a few more listening rooms, and again I was unpleasantly surprised to find that there was no sound at all in my headphones. I applied your remedy (switch to preset 16 and then switch back to the previous preset) and indeed the sound returned to the headphones. I didn’t confront this bug before updating to firmware 2.05. I think it’s a more complicated issue that can’t be solved by a full factory restore as James suggested.

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #12,660 of 15,986
When on 2.03 and 2.05 before the DTS upgrade I usually had to switch to Preset 1 to get the audio after every power-on, then I could switch to my preset.

Today when there was no sound on Preset 1 after I installed DTS and did the Full Factory Restore, I tried Preset 16 instead since you mentioned it and it worked.
Ok, this was exactly how mine went. I used to be able to switch to any preset and back to get sound again, after 2.05 I have to specifically switch to preset 16 and back to get sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back