Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 26, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #12,631 of 16,011
As I was trying out the DTS-X feature, I noticed I had to bump up the volume quite substantially to listen at the level I normally do with Dolby, etc. (normally 55-59 range......had to push it up to 71+).

Has anyone else noticed a need to drastically change the volume when listening to DTS content?

Oct 26, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #12,633 of 16,011
As I was trying out the DTS-X feature, I noticed I had to bump up the volume quite substantially to listen at the level I normally do with Dolby, etc. (normally 55-59 range......had to push it up to 71+).

Has anyone else noticed a need to drastically change the volume when listening to DTS content?
I'm only on 48-50 lower than what I use for Atmos 56-58. But I'm on 3dsoundshop prirs.

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #12,635 of 16,011
I think the soundstage with dts quite different. It sounds spacier. My only complaint is with bbc/surrey and 3dsoundshop (genelec) the bass is not boomy at all. With my personal PRIR it’s too boomy.
Try the +10 LFE setting in (configure) the listening room. All movie tracks have lfe dialed down by 10.

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #12,640 of 16,011
Last night, I confronted a quite worrying situation after the DTS: X update was completed, and I built a DTS listening room. I played a test file for DTS: X and although the virtual speakers seemed to work, there was no sound in the headphones. I played other files, Dolby Atmos and PCM, and I still didn't hear anything in the headphones. Even when I pressed the test button on the remote, there was no sound. I checked the settings and cable connections and there didn't seem to be anything wrong. The remaining option was full restore, after which the sounds were heard again in the headphones. The conclusion was that a full restore was needed even if I carried out this operation after updating to firmware rev. 2.05.

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #12,641 of 16,011
Last night, I confronted a quite worrying situation after the DTS: X update was completed, and I built a DTS listening room. I played a test file for DTS: X and although the virtual speakers seemed to work, there was no sound in the headphones. I played other files, Dolby Atmos and PCM, and I still didn't hear anything in the headphones. Even when I pressed the test button on the remote, there was no sound. I checked the settings and cable connections and there didn't seem to be anything wrong. The remaining option was full restore, after which the sounds were heard again in the headphones. The conclusion was that a full restore was needed even if I carried out this operation after updating to firmware rev. 2.05.

I'm having a similar but different problem. I installed the DTS:X upgrade this afternoon. I didn't try any DTS stuff but was listening to an Atmos room on HDMI 1 and the sound just stopped after about 15 minutes and there was no activity shown on the speaker map. I did a factory restore without any success. Test still works. I have more testing to do tomorrow. Hopefully reinstalling 2.05 will fix it if all else fails.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #12,644 of 16,011
I have this problem and it started before 2.05. On my A16 when it happens sound will start working if switch to preset 16 and then switch back to whatever preset I want to listen to. Sound will then continue to work for as long as I’m listening. I actually brought it up to James yesterday, and he suggested a full factory restore which is different than a full restore and it worked temporarily, but ran into the bug again last night.

Oct 27, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #12,645 of 16,011
..................................and he suggested a full factory restore which is different than a full restore and it worked temporarily, but ran into the bug again last night.
The instructions in the release notes for firmware (rev. 2.05 Oct 20 2021) are as follows:

- STEP 6. The firmware update is now complete. A full restore must be run to properly initialize new menu and Preset features First press BACK and then navigate to ‘Settings’ and press ENTER.
- Then navigate to ‘Restore factory setup’ and press ENTER again.
- Select ‘full restore’ and press Enter again.

That’s why I wrote full restore in my post #12,640.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back