Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 27, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #12,661 of 16,011
what I am going to suggest may or may not fix the issue of where there is no sound but you load a different room and the sound comes back...

The suggestion is ... create your rooms at the top of the list... location 32 and below that number... I am wondering if the rooms aren't being fully loaded and so when you switch to a different location and the sound comes back.... maybe... and this is a stretch.. if there are rooms at the lower numbers ( the factory ones) and a few at the highest numbers like 32 if it would force the A16 to load the rooms correctly and thus not have the issue of no sounds.... its just a thought to try out....

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #12,662 of 16,011
what I am going to suggest may or may not fix the issue of where there is no sound but you load a different room and the sound comes back...

The suggestion is ... create your rooms at the top of the list... location 32 and below that number... I am wondering if the rooms aren't being fully loaded and so when you switch to a different location and the sound comes back.... maybe... and this is a stretch.. if there are rooms at the lower numbers ( the factory ones) and a few at the highest numbers like 32 if it would force the A16 to load the rooms correctly and thus not have the issue of no sounds.... its just a thought to try out....

Interesting idea, but in my case both Preset 1 (no sound) and Preset 16 (sound) load the factory BBC 9.1.6 Atmos room.

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #12,663 of 16,011
that is strange.... why would 16 be a factory room... wonder what would happen if you also loaded a BBC 9.1.6 Atmos room to location 32.. the only time I have ever had a No sound it has always been because the source switched off of the HDMI and that has only happen'd once...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #12,664 of 16,011
that is strange.... why would 16 be a factory room... wonder what would happen if you also loaded a BBC 9.1.6 Atmos room to location 32.. the only time I have ever had a No sound it has always been because the source switched off of the HDMI and that has only happen'd once...

I think you're thinking of listening room numbers, not preset numbers. All my presets above #4 were initially populated with listening rooms BBC 9.1.6 (Atmos) / BBC 9.1.2 (DTS) / BBC 9.1.6t (PCM), which are all exactly the same as Preset #1.

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #12,665 of 16,011
wondering... the next time you get no sound if you just switch the source to a different source... load that and then go back and load the source you are using.... like switch from HDMI to stereo line in and then back to HDMI .... wondering if that would work

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #12,666 of 16,011
wondering... the next time you get no sound if you just switch the source to a different source... load that and then go back and load the source you are using.... like switch from HDMI to stereo line in and then back to HDMI .... wondering if that would work
I can probably test this tonight as I seem to run into the no sound issue just about every time I power on my A16.

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #12,667 of 16,011
I can probably test this tonight as I seem to run into the no sound issue just about every time I power on my A16.
It appears from the most recent series of posts that the DTS: X upgrade is not yet ready for prime time. I have already upgraded to firmware v2.05 but I will hold off on doing the DTS: X install until my fellow forum members, the Smyths, and/or Gilles Guerin sound the “all clear.”

Oct 27, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #12,668 of 16,011
It appears from the most recent series of posts that the DTS: X upgrade is not yet ready for prime time. I have already upgraded to firmware v2.05 but I will hold off on doing the DTS: X install until my fellow forum members, the Smyths, and/or Gilles Guerin sound the “all clear.”
To be fair, I have been dealing with the no sound and needing to switch presets well before 2.05. Feel like it started with the previous firmware update.

Oct 27, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #12,670 of 16,011
Ok. Tested this. Switching sources does not fix it, but going to preset 16 always does.

Oct 27, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #12,671 of 16,011
Apart from making your receiver eligible to receive DTS-X decoding, is there anything else of merit in the upgrade to 2.05. If not I think I might hold off a while since I finally have everything working to my satisfaction, and used presets 1-2 for my Meta PRIRs, and would have to redo the presets if I do a factory reset.

Oct 27, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #12,672 of 16,011
Ok. Tested this. Switching sources does not fix it, but going to preset 16 always does.
Another thing the Smyths need to do when they get all the deliverables (Auro 3D, etc) done, is rewrite the firmware to make it run more efficiently. I have occasions, for example, when my Realiser simply won't respond to the remote, and I have to do a hard reboot (unplugging and replugging) to get it operating again.

Oct 27, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #12,673 of 16,011
I mention that I've never had this problem of "no sound from headphones". To be fair, I was running with firmware 1.81 until having my A16 repaired/upgraded two weeks ago which returned with 2.04 firmware and DTS:X licensing already installed.

And just the other day I upgraded firmware to 2.05, as well as performing what was called "full restore must be run". The instructions for this process prescribed:

(a) press BACK, navigate to "Settings", ENTER
(b) navigate to "Restore Factory Setup", ENTER
(c) navigate to "Press ENTER for Full Restore", ENTER.

Note after this "full restore" process completes that it has always been necessary to then power off and on after this, in order to correctly re-populate all informational fields (e.g. current firmware versions, etc.) as well as getting all the assorted menu default values to appear properly, etc.. And this 2.05 upgrade/restore was no different.

But again, I've never experienced this "no sound from headphones" symptom being discussed, with any trick of temporarily selecting preset 16 and then going back to my desired preset to overcome. Whatever preset I happen to be on when the A16 is powered on (same as from last use), or after switching to a new one, when I than get the actual source going the A16 display will just always correctly adapt to whatever stream is arriving, and I will have sound from my headphones.

As I've described in the past, I'm not using the built-in DAC and headphone amp in the A16. Instead I use S/PDIF optical out from the A16 to my external DAC, which then feeds my external Stax headphone amp. I don't know if this is relevant, but it is how I operate.

I've created presets 1-12 representing my four HDMI inputs in groups of three presets for each HDMI source. My my "master HDMI audio source" setting" is disabled (though I believe it displays the last preset-selected active HDMI audio source, which therefore also will be the HDMI source used for the new "standby-mode HDMI pass-through" feature available since 2.00 if you power the A16 off), so that the correct audio source (HDMI1/2/3/4) is instead to be obtained from that value within each of the individual presets:

bqIILW.png

eq325q.png

Oct 27, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #12,674 of 16,011
Since I had a few emails back a forth with James from my purchase of DTS and the issues I’m having with the no sound until switching to preset 16, I sent him a follow up email tonight letting him know that the full factory restore did not solve the problem. I gave him the symptoms and how to get sound back. I’m not sure if James is the best one to report this too, but if you’re having the same issue it might be worth while shooting over an email as well since the more people who report it, the better chance there is that it will get taken seriously.

Oct 27, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #12,675 of 16,011
To be fair, I have been dealing with the no sound and needing to switch presets well before 2.05. Feel like it started with the previous firmware update.

not sure we’re discussing the same issue but, for as long as I’ve been using the A16, it’s always been a nightmare to switch sources (in my case going from HDMI4 to optical). I endup having to switch inputs multiple times from the main panel, go to the preset and reload it, switch presets and reload, go back to target preset and reload, go back to front back switch inputs and reload , continue this merry go round until I final hear something.

In some cases, when it really won’t switch, I reboot the unit. In other cases, the unit works on an input (one it works, it works for good), I turn it off, restart it the next day, it’s no longer working on the same input and I end up going back to the procedure above.

Basically, I’ve never found the exact process to make this input switch systematically work (I tried enabling/disabling the input selection from the main panel but that doesn’t help), it feels like the hardware behind isn’t catching all the calls being sent and you need to be lucky for the remote command to actually percolate through the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back