Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 14, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #12,227 of 16,011
What you are saying, I think, is they are able to extract my HRTF from a personal PRIR and modify some other person's PRIR (a BRIR to me) to have it use my HRTF. Would be great if they ever got it off the ground.
Yes, something like that. It would not be the full HRTF (meaning for "all" possible directions, like for example Genelec Aural ID is a file with information for 836 different directions) but only for all speaker directions plus lookangles around those that are present in your personal PRIR.

[Edit: Also the resulting PRIR would not be fully adapted to your personal HRTF, but maybe only the direct sound portion of it. But that could already be a huge improvement. I don't know if we would even be able to tell that reverberation has gone through our own HRTF or not.]

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #12,228 of 16,011
FWIW I heard from James that they expect the DTS certification to complete within 30 days or so
30 normal days or 30 Smyth days...?
The days are much longer in Northern Ireland, didn't you know?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 14, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #12,229 of 16,011
30 normal days or 30 Smyth days...?
The days are much longer in Northern Ireland, didn't you know?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Yes, it's all explained clearly in that relatively short video

#runninggag

Sep 19, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #12,231 of 16,011
Has anyone had success getting a refund for their pre-order? I am ready to throw in the towel and James has not replied in over 2 months. I pre-ordered 12/31/2016.
This is a pretty long time ago. And I fully understand why you would want a refund.
Had anyone successful contact with Smyth in the last weeks?

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #12,233 of 16,011
By reading at kickstarter site, it follows that backer #307 received his A16 on October 5, 2020. The latest official shipping status on September 7, 2020 stated that Smyth Research would ship to backers #279-289.

What’s the real situation? We can only speculate. I was backer #267 and received my A16 on September 15, 2020.

Sep 19, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #12,236 of 16,011
I ordered the AES model last month and received it in a week (btw: digital outs on a Dolby Atmos and hopefully eventually DTS:X compatible receiver are practically non-existent on anything under $10k so it's not such a bad deal if it works - which I haven't been able to verify yet). However it was partially faulty and I had to send it in for repairs. I believe they do read every message as they were reasonably quick to respond to my initial queries as well as the issues I had, but they do not respond to every message, even if you pay full price.

I think they severely underpriced the Kickstarter and have paid a heavy price for it, but it's honorable (and sadly unusual) that they are actually delivering, even if many many years later, though apparently not to everyone yet. Hopefully they'll be able to get the company going again, looking at the backer numbers I believe they should be fairly close.

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #12,238 of 16,011
I ordered the AES model last month and received it in a week (btw: digital outs on a Dolby Atmos and hopefully eventually DTS:X compatible receiver are practically non-existent on anything under $10k so it's not such a bad deal if it works - which I haven't been able to verify yet). However it was partially faulty and I had to send it in for repairs.
Can you tell us how your A16 was faulty?

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #12,239 of 16,011
I've given up hoping that my pre-order ever shows up and am looking to upgrade to full price. I have questions:

1) Anyone else have a Realiser with the new (post-fire) hardware? Any issues?

2) Any issues with the current firmware? I don't need the missing codecs and don't plan to upgrade firmware until the web interface shows up.

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #12,240 of 16,011
Can you tell us how your A16 was faulty?
The headphone outs had extremely noticeable distortion on higher output levels, even on low gain upon reaching 70 or so (using HD 800S). Even the test signal showed the same issue (but again, could only be heard at higher output levels). The SDPIF stereo digital outs were fine though, which I tested with an external amp. Probably a bad analogue board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back