Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 13, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #11,942 of 15,998
Oh man, I feel for ya. I lost the remote days after unboxing, I finally got one from the Smyths, took about two weeks to arrive.

I started to pursue creating a tablet-based remote, even bought the IP to IR blaster from Global Caché but stalled out on lack of IR info IIRC.
Now that I have a remote, maybe I should capture all the IR codes from it before I misplace it or it breaks.
I sure wish the Smyths would push the remote codes to Harmony.

Somebody must already have taught the A16 IR codes to their Harmony. What does it take to spread that setup to other users?

If all else fails, there's the pronto NG configuration on remotecentral, the NEC IR codes should be easy to extract from the XML.

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #11,945 of 15,998
where did you find this updated document with 93 rooms? Is it from the Smyth website?
Gilles has emailed me that document because I needed it to encode the Atmos async files. Is it of any use at all except as a list of supported speaker configurations? There's only a very small number of PCM async files that have ever been made, much less in versions that are actually usable.

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #11,946 of 15,998
Gilles has emailed me that document because I needed it to encode the Atmos async files. Is it of any use at all except as a list of supported speaker configurations? There's only a very small number of PCM async files that have ever been made, much less in versions that are actually usable.
Do we need to be his direct customer like buying the A16 from him or registering to his Club Realiser to have these type of files and documents?

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #11,947 of 15,998
I've emailed them .. no reply still :frowning2:
You have got to wake those guys up…
Last time I got an answer I sent a message repeatedly to the following addresses :
https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/SmythResearch/posts/?ref=page_internal
https://www.heavenly-sound.com/
james@smyth-research.com
https://smyth-research.com/contact/
admin@smyth-research.com

If they don’t answer you just start again, just like work when your boss pesters you about an answer…you don’t have yet…:confounded:

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #11,948 of 15,998
Oh man, I feel for ya. I lost the remote days after unboxing, I finally got one from the Smyths, took about two weeks to arrive.

I started to pursue creating a tablet-based remote, even bought the IP to IR blaster from Global Caché but stalled out on lack of IR info IIRC.
Now that I have a remote, maybe I should capture all the IR codes from it before I misplace it or it breaks.
I sure wish the Smyths would push the remote codes to Harmony.

The Smyth A8 is available on the harmony database. That’s what I use as a base and just teach whatever additional IR codes I need. Most of it works totally fine. If I do involved PRIR measurements I resort to the original remote however.

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #11,949 of 15,998
Yes the A8 and A16 remotes use the same IR codes. But the A8 remote doesn't have all the keys that the A16 remote has, e.g. the volume keys, PA, PB etc.

But there's a big difference: The A16 remote does not have a "key repeat" functionality, you press vol + and keep it depressed, and volume is not constantly increased, but only one step. You have to press vol+ many times to go up more steps.
Same with browsing through the menus.

The A8 remote on the other hand has this functionality but it is "too fast" for the A16. With the A8 remote, or may Harmony with A8 codes, when I press up or down in a menu, the cursor always jumps two rows, not one.
Same with the power button, if I press the power toggle button on the A8 remote or in my A8 Harmony implementation, the A16 goes on, and immediately off again!

I didn't have time to test if I could tweak some timing settings in the Harmony software, so that it won't be "too fast".

Don't you have these problems, @mrmac ?

Jul 14, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #11,950 of 15,998
Do we need to be his direct customer like buying the A16 from him or registering to his Club Realiser to have these type of files and documents?
Being a direct customer is the only "official" way to become a member of his Club Realiser and thus get access the Atmos encoded async files. I think the document hasn't been published yet because it's of so little value that neither Gilles nor the Smyths have bothered to do so yet - unlike the async files, which took a bit of work to make.

The obvious alternative is to find a fantastic location to record PRIRs and invite one of those lucky ones over who do have the files already.

Jul 14, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #11,951 of 15,998
[...]
The A8 remote on the other hand has this functionality but it is "too fast" for the A16. With the A8 remote, or may Harmony with A8 codes, when I press up or down in a menu, the cursor always jumps two rows, not one.
Same with the power button, if I press the power toggle button on the A8 remote or in my A8 Harmony implementation, the A16 goes on, and immediately off again!

I didn't have time to test if I could tweak some timing settings in the Harmony software, so that it won't be "too fast".

Don't you have these problems, @mrmac ?
I had the same problem with a Pronto NG. That does provide a lot of flexibility in synthesizing IR signals, and I think I've tried all the obvious variants (i.e. all NEC protocol flavors and "handmade" copies of the signal for repeats, if I remember correctly), without any satisfying results, i.e. the same problems as you described. I suspect that might be a problem in the firmware of microcontroller(?) that handles IR in the A16.

Jul 14, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #11,952 of 15,998
You can get a Club Realiser membership (paid) even if you haven’t bought the device from Giles. I just confirmed with him.

Jul 14, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #11,953 of 15,998
You can get a Club Realiser membership (paid) even if you haven’t bought the device from Giles. I just confirmed with him.
You might want to hold off on doing that for just a bit longer :)

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #11,955 of 15,998
Any reason for optimism here? Is there anything regarding shipping I don't know? Got this from James this morning. I am seriously considering giving up or selling my place in line without any definitive updates.

Hi Phil,

Due to the shortage of parts we have continually been redesigning the A16 and sourcing parts. Currently we are testing the new motherboard and if this works we can start A16 production again.
So it's a big couple of weeks for us. And so far so good with testing.

Once we have restocked we will start shipping KickStarter and Pre-orders right away. We have every intention in fulfilling the remaining back
log of orders and we'll make sure everyone including yourself will get their A16 unit.

Thanks again for your patience and support.

Kind regards
James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back